• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If they are, should CGC refrain from dealing with Robojo/Danny D/Perry Stroud?

80 posts in this topic

Cracking a slab and selling it as a higher grade is unethical business practice. Burn the seller with fire.

angrymob.gif

Several times now, in the forum sales threads, I've seen members disclose what an issue had previously graded at, and whether or not it was pressed before it was resubmitted. That's part of why I like coming here...You quickly get a sense of whom to trust (or at least have a measure of confidence in) or avoid for their past behavior.

Before I start going on about how "it takes a village," I think it's important to remember how important it is to behave ethically in the hobby. We want the hobby to grow, and not decline like some of the other hobbies have due to fraud...

If you disagree with a grade, crack the slab, press it, resubmit. Otherwise leave it in the slab and break out the Kleenex tissues (excuse me, I have something in my eye)...

I agree with you and here's what bothers me. My observation of a book I previously owned that was cracked out and sold raw for a full grade point higher (example 6.0 to 7.0) of a major key that meant a doubling of a large pricetag was with a major, trusted seller on the Boards. It saddens me to say this community, this 'village' we think we have doesn't exist. It's all about greed.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

GD spill the beans :popcorn:

Hey Ginge :hi:

Oh yeah, :popcorn:

Cracking a slab and selling it as a higher grade is unethical business practice. Burn the seller with fire.

angrymob.gif

Several times now, in the forum sales threads, I've seen members disclose what an issue had previously graded at, and whether or not it was pressed before it was resubmitted. That's part of why I like coming here...You quickly get a sense of whom to trust (or at least have a measure of confidence in) or avoid for their past behavior.

Before I start going on about how "it takes a village," I think it's important to remember how important it is to behave ethically in the hobby. We want the hobby to grow, and not decline like some of the other hobbies have due to fraud...

If you disagree with a grade, crack the slab, press it, resubmit. Otherwise leave it in the slab and break out the Kleenex tissues (excuse me, I have something in my eye)...

Remember that when you are buying a CGC book you are buying an opinion. And a resto check.

If a seller cracks a book and grades it higher then that is their prerogative. I believe they should disclose.

And this comment

has so many things wrong with it I just dont know where to start.

Under no circumstances would I endorse cracking a slab and marketing it *raw* as a higher grade without disclosure of the grade it received from the CGC.

As for pressing, I would disclose that as well.

angrymob.gif

I agree with you and here's what bothers me. My observation of a book I previously owned that was cracked out and sold raw for a full grade point higher (example 6.0 to 7.0) of a major key that meant a doubling of a large pricetag was with a major, trusted seller on the Boards. It saddens me to say this community, this 'village' we think we have doesn't exist. It's all about greed.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oh yeah, :popcorn:

Popcorn-Conan.gif

Is Jason Ewert banned from CGC?

As far as I know, he is not allowed to submit.

How would they know if he were submitting books under someone else's account number?

Anyone that's very motivated can sub books to CGC without them knowing who it really is. For that matter it's not all that hard to open eBay and Paypal accounts without using your real name either.

How would they know if he were submitting books under someone else's account number?

Anyone that's very motivated can sub books to CGC without them knowing who it really is. For that matter it's not all that hard to open eBay and Paypal accounts without using your real name either.

I use various accounts to submit books... with the owners knowledge and permission, of course.

angrymob.gif

We had this "discussion" a few weeks ago with a well respected boardie arguing with me that it is perfectly fine to crack slabs and sell at a higher grade without disclosing. Some people have been in this game so long and talked to Borock so many times that in their minds its perfectly fine to crack and sell at a higher grade and of course a higher price tag.

I'm still trying to figure out how that makes them any better than robo but i guess im missing something (shrug)

The vast majority (fortunately) appear to favor disclosure of previous grades received and whether a book's been pressed or not (to the best of their knowledge, anyway).

We had this "discussion" a few weeks ago with a well respected boardie arguing with me that it is perfectly fine to crack slabs and sell at a higher grade without disclosing. Some people have been in this game so long and talked to Borock so many times that in their minds its perfectly fine to crack and sell at a higher grade and of course a higher price tag.

I'm still trying to figure out how that makes them any better than robo but i guess im missing something (shrug)

Who was that boardie? That would tell me a lot right there. I personally think cracking a book out and grading it different than CGC, as long as it is disclosed, is an acceptable practice.

When you purchase a CGC book or get a book graded by CGC you are paying for an opinion and a resto check.

Yes granted the opinon of the 3 graders is going to be a more reliable opinion than 95% of your average comic collector. But it doesnt mean that the grade is infallible.

And what is your beef with Borock?

A search will pretty easily tell you who the boardie was. I'm fine with cracking and grading higher as long as its disclosed. My beef was being told that there is no reason whatsoever to disclose since CGC is just an opinion.

I have no beef at all with Borock. When we had the "discussion" a few weeks ago and i said the person was shady as hell for cracking and selling higher without disclosing i was told that it was perfectly fine since he's been grading for many years and he even advised Borock many times on CGC's grading.

Apparently, that means that you can crack and resell for more money at a higher grade and not be a scumbag like robojo (shrug)

You typing it out will be just as easy.

I understand your sentence with Borock now. I understood it to read differently than you meant.

Again, it seems your issue has to do with not disclosing the CGC grade. Am I correct?

Hypo here:

I buy an Avengers 1 in 6.0 for $X, crack it and sell it as a 6.5 for $x+$200. Am I a scumbag?

Who was that boardie? That would tell me a lot right there. I personally think cracking a book out and grading it different than CGC, as long as it is disclosed, is an acceptable practice.

When you purchase a CGC book or get a book graded by CGC you are paying for an opinion and a resto check.

Yes granted the opinon of the 3 graders is going to be a more reliable opinion than 95% of your average comic collector. But it doesnt mean that the grade is infallible.

And what is your beef with Borock?

Arex, your assessment of CGC as an opinion and a resto check is spot on, but your observation that the 3 graders will take you a long way--95% better than your average collector--is what many overlook or underestimate. CGC is an opinion but it's more than one person and there's the whole professionalism, experience, and independent grading that goes down. Your conclusion that their grade ain't infallible is an important reminder too. You've expressed, in an economy of words, what many forget when they either want to blindly worship CGC or discard them as if they're irrelevant. That expression is no small thing. :hail:

Of course they wouldn't know.

I'd be very surprised if he wasn't still submitting under another account.

A search will pretty easily tell you who the boardie was. I'm fine with cracking and grading higher as long as its disclosed. My beef was being told that there is no reason whatsoever to disclose since CGC is just an opinion.

I have no beef at all with Borock. When we had the "discussion" a few weeks ago and i said the person was shady as hell for cracking and selling higher without disclosing i was told that it was perfectly fine since he's been grading for many years and he even advised Borock many times on CGC's grading.

Apparently, that means that you can crack and resell for more money at a higher grade and not be a scumbag like robojo (shrug)

What book was it, I can't find by searching "cracked from cgc case and sold at higher grade". :ohnoez:

I'm not worried about sufunk's example. I am worried about bomber-bob's insinuation that he knows of a book that sold in a 6.0 slab and was cracked and sold raw for 7.0

My observation of a book I previously owned that was cracked out and sold raw for a full grade point higher (example 6.0 to 7.0) of a major key that meant a doubling of a large pricetag was with a major, trusted seller on the Boards.

That, to me, is a jaw-dropper.

I'm not worried about sufunk's example. I am worried about bomber-bob's insinuation that he knows of a book that sold in a 6.0 slab and was cracked and sold raw for 7.0

My observation of a book I previously owned that was cracked out and sold raw for a full grade point higher (example 6.0 to 7.0) of a major key that meant a doubling of a large pricetag was with a major, trusted seller on the Boards.

That, to me, is a jaw-dropper.

Why is that a jaw dropper?

People in the other thread said that they will DO that and not disclose the previous CGC grade and that was perfectly fine since CGC is just an opinion and not infallible.