• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will any modern age series make it?

12 posts in this topic

Given all the relaunches, cancellations and lack of quality series' within the past 5-10 years, does anyone expect any of the titles released within the past decade to make it to the high hundreds? Face it, well never see the longevity of Action or Detective comics ever again....but will anything survive to lets say, issue 200? Id give Nightwing,JLA and regretfully USM the only shots at making it. Any thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

lack of quality series' within the past 5-10 years

That statement depends on who you ask. For my money, comics are better now quality-wise than they've ever been.

No need to flame me. I know there are people that will want to. Save it for someone who cares smile.gif

By the way, to see the board's opinion on what quality has been produced in the past decade check out this totally on-topic poll.

Given all the relaunches, cancellations and lack of quality series' within the past 5-10 years, does anyone expect any of the titles released within the past decade to make it to the high hundreds? Face it, well never see the longevity of Action or Detective comics ever again....but will anything survive to lets say, issue 200? Id give Nightwing,JLA and regretfully USM the only shots at making it. Any thoughts?

Hellblazer's about to make 200, and a movie coming up too. It can still happen.

Hellblazer's about to make 200, and a movie coming up too. It can still happen.

And before anyone points it out, yes it's obvious that to reach 200 it started more than ten years ago. It's just that it's been going continuously since issue 1 and is the nearest series I can think of to reach 200 other than revamped classics like Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash.

The day I will celebrate is when JSA makes 200.

Long live All Star Comics.

DC's JLA is an easy keeper. Nightwing has all the ingredients for a great title (character history, catchy name, nifty costume) but it could use a little punch.

Marvel has the relaunch tickle again. If they can get a title to issue 100 without starting over it'll be a bloody miracle. I noticed in Diamond's Dialogue, I believe it was, that Marvel just got it's first female character title to issue #75 (Spider-Girl and was almost cancelled how many times?) Off the top of my head DC's female character titles that have surpassed 75 issues; Wonder Woman (hit 75 mid 50's), Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane (yeah the 1958 series) Supergirl, Catwoman, BOP is at 68 issues... All of a sudden that Ultimate line does look like a savior.

I digress...If the market should falter it could spell doom for any potential titles from the last decade or so making it that far, of course the imminent TPB revolution makes all this inconsequential!

I myself would like to see the Nightwing series make it.

CRC

I don't read many modern books and don't care to. I don't personally believe that any will make it to issue 200. The long term commitment to characters and story just isn't there any more.

Look at titles like Grendel, Preacher, Sandman, Cerebus, etc. What makes these books as exciting to read as they are? The writers stuck with them. The artists sometimes even stuck with them. The stories were conceived as one coherent plot, and they ended when the story was done. They didn't limp along for years with a menagerie of "talent" because the publishers wouldn't let the characters be done with whatever they were doing. Sometimes, you have to let the story be over.

Publishers commit first to putting out something on a regular basis. They say "Ok, we're going to have another X/Spider/Super/Bat title. You and you, you're popular right now, you write/draw it. Now go, have the characters do... something for awhile. Doesn't matter what, WolverSuperBat is a cash cow, he has to be on the shelves each and every month. He can never stop and he's never done. Nothing is ever resolved. Every villain put away escapes. Every villain killed was a robot/clone/imposter. Every couple of years when it all gets out of hand we'll just have a universal cataclysm of some kind and start over. Now get to work."

I know that's how it works. I can't get into a story or a character any more when I know that nobody at the helm has the slightest idea or interest in where it's going.

I don't read many modern books and don't care to. I don't personally believe that any will make it to issue 200. The long term commitment to characters and story just isn't there any more.

It is certainly there, but in a lot of ways it's different than it used to be. What you find now is most of the best books are these sort of "mega maxi" series like Preacher, 100 Bullets or Planetary. Creator and story centric books that are destined to only run for a certain time. The dedication is there and it shows in the quality on those books.

With the superhero titles there's more of a mercenary approach, but even there you do have people doing lengthy, exciting runs. BMB/ Bagley on Ultimate Spider-Man, BMB/Maleev on Daredevil, and Grant Morrison on JLA (and New X-Men which I don't read) are a few that spring to mind.

I'm not saying it's perfect, companies still do goofy things, but I just don't think it's the way you paint it.

If you're using Nightwing and JLA, then I assume you're not limiting it to 'new characters'

So I'll add Robin, Birds of Prey, Uncanny X-men will get into the 500's easily (unless the brain trust at marvel decides to re-launch it)

Also in the running: Catwoman? Savage Dragon?

I'm not commenting on the quality of these, just the staying power.

PS - I put Uncanny in there to credit Marvel for NOT re-launching it. That's almost as good as being a new series, right? smirk.gif