• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Marvel Release a Bronze Age Horror Comic?

62 posts in this topic

DC had begun true horror comics agian in 1968, which depending on your views is silver, post silver or beginning of bronze. These continued until 1983.

marvel briefly published 2 horror anthologies in the late 60's which do qualify as do the first issues of several other titles like chamber of chills.

The whole thing boils down to semantics i believe and your own definition of horror. It really has no bearing on anything real, just wondering aloud i suppose. Technicality stuff. The truth of the beast is horror elements crept into just about everything from 1968-1974 or so from romance to superhero.

Exactly! The problem (for those of us who like to classify everything) is what to do with the 1968-1969 period? Myself, I like to think of it as Late Silver Age, after the Middle Silver Age a.k.a. Marvel Age. During Late Silver, you have:

- House of Mystery, Secrets, Unexpected return to Mystery format

- Launch of Witching Hour

- Marvel's response in Tower of Shadows, Chamber of Darkness

- New artists Neal Adams & Steranko hit their strides (though they both did work on Deadman and Fury in '67 as well)

- New Marvel launches: Subby, Cap, Iron Man, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange

- Giordano, Skeates, O'Neil, Aparo move en mass from Charlton to DC

- Sekowsky's mod Wonder Woman begins

For me, the 1968-69 period is summed up by:

- Marvel expands beyond its previous publishing limit,

- DC (finally) understands Marvel is breathing down its neck,

- the windfall Batman TV show revenues are dropping off,

- DC promotes Carmine Infantino, who in turn promotes various artists to editorial positions (Orlando, Giordano, Sekowsky, Kubert)

- as a result you get a lot of experimentation that culminates in what I consider the Bronze Age beginning in 1970.

But that's just me...

Im not too invested in this discussion, but now Im really losing it. HOS amd HOM are "superhero books"?

Oooops, I think I quoted the wrong post or wrong part of a post.

DC did have real horror books, including HOS and HOM, and I was referring to the Marvel side, which was really just super-heroes based on popular horror characters.