• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Marvel Release a Bronze Age Horror Comic?

62 posts in this topic

I was mulling over the comments that the Bronze Age is actually the "Age of Horror" and was trying to figure out if Marvel ever published an original-material Horror series?

Now before everyone jumps in, it's pretty obvious that Dracula, Werewolf, Son of Satan, The Gollum, etc. were basically super-hero books, which just happened to be based on horror characters. And there were the reprint books, but those weren't original 1970's material, and obviously don't count. There were also some adult-oriented horror mags, but those existed well outside the comic book sphere.

It seems that DC was the only company (along with some small fries like Charlton) producing any original horror series during the 1970's, but I wanted to post this in case I'd missed any from Marvel.

How about Tower of Shadows or Chamber of Darkness. There was original stories with them as well as reprints? confused-smiley-013.gif

Marvel's Tower of Shadows seems a direct response to the revamped House of Mystery, but we're talking 1969, so maybe not Bronze Age after all...

Its been awhile... but wasn't the "Living Mummy" run within Supernatural Thrillers original?... or does that fall under your superhero-horror designation? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you/ve read those issues, it's pretty obvious. In one he fought the Sphinx/Living Monolith. grin.gif

The first four issues of COC or so did have new stories but after that, they were all re-prints. All re-prints for Vault of Evil, Crypt of Shadows, Journey into Mystery (2nd series) and Tomb of Darkness. Tower of Shadows DID have original stories but technically the series started in 1969. I'm not sure of Dead of Night though.

I'm sure I've forgotten about a dozen other titles...Matthew?

Its been awhile... but wasn't the "Living Mummy" run within Supernatural Thrillers original?... or does that fall under your superhero-horror designation? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think up to the "Mummy" run it could be considered horror--after that--I think it falls into the same category as TOD and WBN...

"Creatures on the Loose" or "Monsters on the Prowl" perhaps... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, Creatures started out with Kull, and then moved onto Horror reprints and covers (with a small original back-up story), and then back to sword-and-sorcery with Gulliver Jones and Thongor, before closing off with Spidey's villain the Man-Wolf.

Monsters on the Prowl started out as a couple of GA/SA Horror reprint stories, along with a small back-up original, before moving to full reprints with later issues.

Neither of these, especially the short-run in Creatures, would be what I'd call an original-material Horror series.

I think up to the "Mummy" run it could be considered horror--after that--I think it falls into the same category as TOD and WBN...

Yep, the first four issues of ST were definitely horror-influenced, but even so, these were all adaptations of classic stories.

Then again, even though it only ran for 4 issues and is inconsequential, that may be the best example of a post-1970, non-reprint Horror series from Marvel.

Actually, Chamber of Chills ran about 4-5 issues before the reprints started creeping in, so that's another near-inconsequential (though noted) short-run series.

How about Man-Thing maybe?

He was more like Swamp-Hulk, fighting all manner of mis-shapen mutant creature from month-to-month, and was definitely positioned as a super-hero:

50808302804.9.gif

50808302804.20.gif

50808302804.21.gif

50808302804.16.gif

50808302804.13.gif