• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, some people are real tough to please on Ebay

150 posts in this topic

I've always thought that sellers enjoy the fact that I pay IMMEDIATELY after I win their auction... perhaps in the future, I'll just spend time with my wife or go play golf before I pay. That way, I'll be on an even playing field with sellers who think that I'm weird to want the stuff I paid for after I bought it.

Dan

Do those star rating really hurt that much? If so, thats really stupid.

I rarely give 5 stars in every category...

5 stars means they went above and beyond; items arrived faster than promised, packed better than expected.

4 stars means you didn't screw anything up and stuff arrived timely...

3 stars means you did the bare minimum for a transaction. I didn't have to pester you, but stuff took longer than it probably should, etc.

and so on...

if 5-stars is the standard, what's the point of a 5 point scale? Just make it 2 stars; pass/fail.

*shrug*

this is precisely the problem. if a seller averages a 3.9 or 3.7, which by your standards is pretty good, they get punished by ebay in a variety of ways that i cannot articulate right now, but which someone else here can.

As a buyer, I don't expect , obviously. eBay sellers are all over the board and I am not surprised if I receive something in two days or two weeks. Any longer than that and I start to get nervous, though.

As a seller, however, once I have the buyer's money, their package goes out the next day - no exceptions. I can't think of one time that I missed sending something the day after. I realize not everyone thinks the same way as I do, but if I have their cash, I just can't justify not sending out their stuff ASAP. It's almost as much for my peace of mind as it is to get them their stuff on time. I just don't want to keep thinking 'Man, I still have to mail that dude's stuff' until I actually get around to it. Drives me nuts. I guess, if anything, it's kept me from getting neutrals/negatives and nicks on my shipping stars.

2c

+1

Geez, I thought I was alone on that one. I've been thinking like that since starting on eBay.

As a buyer, I don't expect , obviously. eBay sellers are all over the board and I am not surprised if I receive something in two days or two weeks. Any longer than that and I start to get nervous, though.

As a seller, however, once I have the buyer's money, their package goes out the next day - no exceptions. I can't think of one time that I missed sending something the day after. I realize not everyone thinks the same way as I do, but if I have their cash, I just can't justify not sending out their stuff ASAP. It's almost as much for my peace of mind as it is to get them their stuff on time. I just don't want to keep thinking 'Man, I still have to mail that dude's stuff' until I actually get around to it. Drives me nuts. I guess, if anything, it's kept me from getting neutrals/negatives and nicks on my shipping stars.

2c

+1

Geez, I tought I was alone on that one. I've been thinking like that since starting on eBay.

How does one do that if they have a job they work at 12 hours a day, screaming kids and 46 other things to do? I'm straight up in my auctions that it may take me 5 days to ship. I also don't get fidgity if people don't pay right away, but I certainly try to get to it sooner than later if I am paid right away. I also throw in freebies to compensate for the slower shipping. People seem to like free stuff and my shipping time #s aren't bad.

Do those star rating really hurt that much? If so, thats really stupid.

I rarely give 5 stars in every category...

5 stars means they went above and beyond; items arrived faster than promised, packed better than expected.

4 stars means you didn't screw anything up and stuff arrived timely...

3 stars means you did the bare minimum for a transaction. I didn't have to pester you, but stuff took longer than it probably should, etc.

and so on...

if 5-stars is the standard, what's the point of a 5 point scale? Just make it 2 stars; pass/fail.

*shrug*

this is precisely the problem. if a seller averages a 3.9 or 3.7, which by your standards is pretty good, they get punished by ebay in a variety of ways that i cannot articulate right now, but which someone else here can.

The worst one is the "count" of 1's. If a seller gets too many 1's, they are excluded from a fee discount no matter how good everything else is. If you see a seller with excellent feedback who is not a "top rated seller" this can be the reason.

I recently lost my top-rated-seller status because I got a whole slew of 1's and 2's on shipping costs when selling an N-Scale train collection over the last 6 months. Since the rating system started until then I had not received more than 1 low rating a year.

All my shipping costs are always up front. I attribute it to listing groups of items at 0.99 with no reserve. In each group one or two people are going to be bidding on a group of things and lose out on all but one of them. If the thing they win is at $1-$2, they are on the hook for $5 shipping for that item. And I get slammed with low ratings, specifically because people don't realize what the 1-5 ratings mean.

I've always thought that sellers enjoy the fact that I pay IMMEDIATELY after I win their auction... perhaps in the future, I'll just spend time with my wife or go play golf before I pay. That way, I'll be on an even playing field with sellers who think that I'm weird to want the stuff I paid for after I bought it.

Dan

Wouldn't bother me at all. As long as you pay within a week or so, I'm fine.

Dan

Cool with transactions on here, too???

Dan

Dan

Likewise. (thumbs u

2c

+1

Geez, I tought I was alone on that one. I've been thinking like that since starting on eBay.

How does one do that if they have a job they work at 12 hours a day, screaming kids and 46 other things to do? I'm straight up in my auctions that it may take me 5 days to ship. I also don't get fidgity if people don't pay right away, but I certainly try to get to it sooner than later if I am paid right away. I also throw in freebies to compensate for the slower shipping. People seem to like free stuff and my shipping time #s aren't bad.

I can only speak for myself, but:

1. I work 12 hours a day too...sometimes more.

2. I don't have kids, so can't speak to that. I have two dogs that I have to walk though :insane:

3. When I'm planning my auctions, I make sure that I have time set aside to complete my duties for anyone that pays at (or near) auction's close. If they pay a couple of days after auction's close, they obviously aren't in a hurry so I don't worry about it as much. If they pay that night though, I make sure it's out the next day.

Like I said earlier though, I can only speak for myself. If I know I'm not going to have time to complete my obligations in what I feel is a timely manner, I don't start the auction.

2c

+1

Agree, blob. People have different levels of demand on their time. Some people run full time eBay businesses. Me, I work a 60hr/wk job, and have 4 kids.

Some hobbyists just need to learn - patience is a virue.

2c

94% of the time, I do next day, and have even done same day shipping, depending on when payment arrives. Sometimes, though, that's not possible.

Call me old fashioned, but back in the day (1998-2003 or so), especially before electronic payment took off, (anyone remember Billpay?) you used to have to wait 3-4 weeks for nearly everything, simply because the seller had to wait for payment, and then wait for clearance, etc. Yes, all that stuff has gone away, but this "gotta have it yesterday" mentality is just beyond reasonable. Remember when you ordered from catalogs...even paying over the phone by credit card...and they said "please alow 4-6 weeks for delivery"...?

:preach:

To give a counterexample, I sold board member Grails a book last December...and he gave me positive feedback and (I think) all 5 stars before I had even shipped the book, even though he knew it would be a week before I could ship the book.

Class all the way.

2c

+1

Agree, blob. People have different levels of demand on their time. Some people run full time eBay businesses. Me, I work a 60hr/wk job, and have 4 kids.

Some hobbyists just need to learn - patience is a virue.

Indeed....and you don't have to be hidden to be a pecker.....

Dan

Dan

Of course. Hypocrites demand instant payment, and then don't bother to ship speedily themselves. What's good for you is good for me, too.

Dan

Dan

Of course. Hypocrites demand instant payment, and then don't bother to ship speedily themselves. What's good for you is good for me, too.

We agree!!! Yay! Honestly, I think I will be less strict on myself in paying as quickly as I do... I tend to feel bad if I don't send it out in the first 5 minutes. I guess I've been looking at it like I do when I go to a restaurant... I ordered the food, I ate the food - then I pay for the food right away - not later next week. I see the difference now.

Dan

2c

+1

2. I don't have kids, so can't speak to that. I have two dogs that I have to walk though :insane:

3. When I'm planning my auctions, I make sure that I have time set aside to complete my duties for anyone that pays at (or near) auction's close. If they pay a couple of days after auction's close, they obviously aren't in a hurry so I don't worry about it as much. If they pay that night though, I make sure it's out the next day.

Like I said earlier though, I can only speak for myself. If I know I'm not going to have time to complete my obligations in what I feel is a timely manner, I don't start the auction.

Speaking for myself when I was working insane hours and now retired. I promise 24-48hrs via priority mail when the payment is received. I check my mail/ebay several times. I usually get my books that are "sold" before the end of the auction in box or in the heavy cardboard priority envelope. I also have a postoffice with the automated shipping 24hrs a day. I ship to my customer timely they way I would like. I really don't like waiting over 5-10 days in particular with no explainations. If your selling you need to set that time aside for the completion of the task, if not then don't sell!!!!

WEBHEAD

2c

+1

Speaking for myself when I was working insane hours and now retired. I promise 24-48hrs via priority mail when the payment is received. I check my mail/ebay several times. I usually get my books that are "sold" before the end of the auction in box or in the heavy cardboard priority envelope. I also have a postoffice with the automated shipping 24hrs a day. I ship to my customer timely they way I would like. I really don't like waiting over 5-10 days in particular with no explainations. If your selling you need to set that time aside for the completion of the task, if not then don't sell!!!!

WEBHEAD

This is how I thought most sellers went about it... but I'm learning that that is not always the case.

Dan

2c

I do the same thing on Ebay. Once the buyer has paid, it's now their book, so I try get it out the door ASAP (next day in nearly all cases).

I haven't sold anything on Ebay since the new rules went into effect of the Seller not being able to leave negative feedback for a buyer, but will probably start back again.

I really don't like waiting over 5-10 days in particular with no explainations. If your selling you need to set that time aside for the completion of the task, if not then don't sell!!!!

-------

5 days to ship is stated in my auctions/store items. Anyone who thinks this is too long (and sometimes I get it out right away, it depends) need not buy/bid. I think the lesson to be learned is to remember to modify the terms of your auctions to give you some cushion if you can't do ebay 24/7. 99% of folks won't complain if you just follow the terms of your auction. The way the OP's auction read, however, he left himself open to that sort of criticism even if the criticism he received was kindah douchie.

I also like to give myself extra time to rummage through the boxes to see which freebies might be a good fit for a given purchaser.

I really don't like waiting over 5-10 days in particular with no explainations. If your selling you need to set that time aside for the completion of the task, if not then don't sell!!!!

-------

5 days to ship is stated in my auctions/store items. Anyone who thinks this is too long (and sometimes I get it out right away, it depends) need not buy/bid. I think the lesson to be learned is to remember to modify the terms of your auctions to give you some cushion if you can't do ebay 24/7. 99% of folks won't complain if you just follow the terms of your auction. The way the OP's auction read, however, he left himself open to that sort of criticism even if the criticism he received was kindah douchie.

I also like to give myself extra time to rummage through the boxes to see which freebies might be a good fit for a given purchaser.

This is absolutely good advice, though not all buyers are going to take that into account when rating a seller. Not saying that's how it should be, but I'd bet that's how it actually is.