• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh, Those Crazee Canucks!

15 posts in this topic

I`M ALSO ADDING TO THIS ITEM 3 OTHER X-MEN COMICS FIRST IS THE X-MEN #78 .20 CENT 1972 VERY READABLE BUT THE COVER SHOWS ALOT OF WEAR NEXT IS THE X-MEN #252 COVER BY JIM LEE SHOWS A LITTLE WEAR..AND NEXT IS THE X-MEN 2099 #1 1993 ALSO VERY LITTLE WEAR

My finger is on the trigger..... insane.gif

Ummm,...why can't you see the mico-chamber paper?.....did they trim it to the size of the cover?

Maybe they put it inside the first page? confused-smiley-013.gif That's what I figured they did when someone slabs a coverless copy.

A little Bronze Age history lesson for those that don't know.

Back in the day, publishers would give a refund to stores that had unsold books.

They used to have to send back the whole book, but at one time, they were told to trim the top off the front cover and mail them back as proof it didn't sell.

It saved money by shipping the book back, and the store got credit for the book.

The books were supposed to be destroyed by the store owner, in good faith.

But this was not always the case.

I can remember when I was a kid, there was a drug store that had tons and tons of comics with the title trimmed off the cover.

They would sell them for 5 cents each.

It was just bonus money to them because they had already been refunded the cost of the comic.

This just meant that I could buy 5 comics with my quarter, rather than just one with the title remaining on the cover.

By the time I was 12, I had quite a pedigree of these books. cloud9.gif

Not many of my books remain. But it's kind of nostalgic for me to see one with the cover trimmed like that.

acclaim.gif

They actually did that as far back as the Golden age,....especially on the books they sent over to the GI's overseas in WWII.....

I knew it went farther back, but didn't know it was back to Golden Age books.

Still a neat part of comic history, just because it brings back so many memories of buying comics in that drug store.

It was like back issue heaven. cloud9.gif