• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Educate me on the affect rust on staples has on grade...

3 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out how less than perfect to rusty staples affect the grade of a book. I know it varies from discolored to minor rust to rust with migration to the interior. When I look at the grade guides it is not clear exactly what affect the varying degrees of less than perfect staples has on grade. For example, rust on staples is only allowed at the 3.0 - 4.0 level. So does that mean if you have a book that would otherwise earn a 9.8, if it has rust on the staples you knock it all the way back to 3.0 - 4.0??

Sorry for the rookie questions just trying to better understand the subtleties of accurate grading.

Thanks,

RJ

A very high level book is where the Qualified label comes into play -- a book that would, for example, grade a 9.8 but has an unusual defect for the grade ... missing a staple ... a detached top centrefold staple .... a coupon missing ...