• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Direct Sales vs. Newstand Sales - Thoughts?

8 posts in this topic

Do you mean the relative numbers produced of each version, and whether one is more desireable/collectible than the other? Or cover art differences or price difference leading collectors to want one of each? Or Subway-eating LCS know it alls versus withered tobacco-stained newsstand shopkeepers? confused-smiley-013.gif

Since this is the Modern forum... I was wondering if anyone (yet) considers

the relative differences between "Direct Sales" vs. "Newstand Sales"

for the same book from the mid-to-late 1990s?

In most cases, the books are identical, including the cover price and art,

but the quality of paper can be different, the respective print runs are different,

and the overall "care" shown to the books can be different.

Does anyone care today? Will they care in the future?

but the quality of paper can be different, the respective print runs are different,

The only comics that collectors may start making looking at differences...

The Marvels' Deluxe period in the early 90s when the DM had better production values than it's newsstand version. But this only lasted a year so there aren't a wide variety out there.

DM die-cut, all that glitters, "insert metal here" comics whose newstand versions did not sport the enhancements.

Newsstand versions of the 5/9/25/50 cent incentive comics. Try finding an Fantastic Four #60.....

Mark Jewelers inserts will become the next variant craze....

Jim

The Marvels' Deluxe period in the early 90s when the DM had better production values than it's newsstand version. But this only lasted a year so there aren't a wide variety out there.

DM die-cut, all that glitters, "insert metal here" comics whose newstand versions did not sport the enhancements.

Newsstand versions of the 5/9/25/50 cent incentive comics. Try finding an Fantastic Four #60.....

Jim

Don't forget the newsstand versions with completely different titles from 2000-2001... "Marvel Adventure Featuring Daredevil" etc...

Those will absolutely be prized by completionists down the line. Different price, different cover art, different freaking title...

Jim

Don't forget the newsstand versions with completely different titles from 2000-2001... "Marvel Adventure Featuring Daredevil" etc...

Those will absolutely be prized by completionists down the line. Different price, different cover art, different freaking title...

yup. these are the true variants!

For a change of pace, I'm looking at the initial wave of direct sales versions of Marvel books from '77 to '81. More of a Bronze Age thing than Modern I guess. Not much difference other than indicia and UPC (or lack thereof) but everybody and their brother is so interested in the DC Whitmans, I figured I'd be different and work towards their not-so-conspicuous Marvel counterparts.