• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the hobby, wondering about something...

71 posts in this topic

There isn't yet a single book that is represented all the way from NG to 10.

(Now watch someone prove me wrong.)

Is there any census info on ngs?

It would be interesting (and challenging) to try to "manufacture" some low grade copies that achieved a specific CGC grade. Imagine deliberately messing up copies of a book to get a 4.5, and you keep getting back 4.0s and 5.0s, but no 4.5.

The thought has crossed my mind more than once.

The difficulty would be finding a book that exists as a 9.9 AND 10, but also has no worth so that it can be destroyed, and exists in good quantity.

I've pondered this for years, but I wouldn't do it unless CGC covered the slab costs as a matter of education.

And I imagine a "slider" could be specially requested one way or the other.

And WTTB!

What are you views on starting your own business, underage girl GIFs and Paypal?

How can you tell the gender of a GIF? I can see how you might get age, but gender?

GIFs depicting underage girls....sorry.

O, now I get it. I thought maybe it was a French thing.

Has anyone ever collected a full gradation(0.5 - 9.8(seems like the consensus top grade)) of a specific issue?

Why would anyone do this? Collecting one of every grade from 0.5 to 10.0 is a useful grading exercise if that's what you're thinking, but it's not necessary that all of the examples be of the same issue to get the same reverse-engineering benefit to help you learn how CGC grades comics.

Has anyone ever collected a full gradation(0.5 - 9.8(seems like the consensus top grade)) of a specific issue?

Why would anyone do this? Collecting one of every grade from 0.5 to 10.0 is a useful grading exercise if that's what you're thinking, but it's not necessary that all of the examples be of the same issue to get the same reverse-engineering benefit to help you learn how CGC grades comics.

I guess you could call me an artist (I have a degree in it at least)

so my purpose would be primarily visual. I like the character of worn comics. I think they tell their own stories. It would be like showing 20 different lives that started out identical.

If I did it it would be a fairly inexpensive but still interesting issue from the Bronze Age. I think I would have to accept the absence of 9.9 and 10.0 in this case.

Why does it have to be about learning how CGC grades. I think it`s actually an interesting way to collect a book, by owning a copy in every CGC grade.

It would be interesting (and challenging) to try to "manufacture" some low grade copies that achieved a specific CGC grade. Imagine deliberately messing up copies of a book to get a 4.5, and you keep getting back 4.0s and 5.0s, but no 4.5.

As per the 'Billy Parker is a WEENIE' pedigree. :grin:

Why does it have to be about learning how CGC grades. I think it`s actually an interesting way to collect a book, by owning a copy in every CGC grade.

I don't disagree, but then aren't you really only collecting the slabs?

As far as I'm concerned once it was complete the worth of each individual issue would be irrelevant.

As far as I'm concerned once it was complete the worth of each individual issue would be irrelevant.

I understand that value is not a factor, and I can see owning several copies of a loved book, what I'm saying is that the separation between a 5.5 and 6 is pretty limited, and could go either way depending on the submission. The books would be pretty similar except the high and lows so the fun of the collecting would be to have every possible grade issued by CGC on the slabs.

That's a good point, but for any gradation, visually speaking, the immediate neighbors are very similar, but when looked at as a group you see the development, or destruction, more clearly. Basically the difference between a 5.5 and a 6.0 is slight, but you need the 6.0 to be between the 5.5 and the 6.5 to make the gradation smooth.

So the slabs would mark the steps, but the books would earn the grades, so they would be different, even if the differences were slight.

That's a good point, but for any gradation, visually speaking, the immediate neighbors are very similar, but when looked at as a group you see the development, or destruction, more clearly. Basically the difference between a 5.5 and a 6.0 is slight, but you need the 6.0 to be between the 5.5 and the 6.5 to make the gradation smooth.

So the slabs would mark the steps, but the books would earn the grades, so they would be different, even if the differences were slight.

You learn quickly.

This isn't even taking into consideration that one man's 5.5 is another man's 6.0

You learn quickly.

To quickly hm

I have been fooled before

1175832b.png

Sure. But I think it would be a fun novelty.

And WTTB!

What are you views on starting your own business, underage girl GIFs and Paypal?

My views on most topics are constantly changing and easily swayed.

Copper Age 9.8s are the SHIZNIT.

You should buy them all.

I know someone who has a lot of them.

Like you? :baiting:

And WTTB!

My views on most topics are constantly changing and easily swayed.

Copper Age 9.8s are the SHIZNIT.

You should buy them all.

I know someone who has a lot of them.

Like you? :baiting:

Mmmmmmmm...COULD be......

Sure. But I think it would be a fun novelty.

I absolutely agree (thumbs u

Well to get the ball rolling what book would you choose? The problem, as someone pointed out, would be the cost prohibitive nature and utter rarity of a sliver or even bronze age book. If you go with a modern book you would have to damage the book to downgrade, which would cheapen it and still probably need multiple submissions to attain each grade.

Great idea, but a logistical nightmare.