• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denver ComicFest 2011 Report with pics - Amy Reeder Rules!

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone-

This weekend is StarFest and ComicFest in Denver. The two big names at the Comic side of things are J Scott Campbell and Amy Reeder. I had been showing my 11 yr old daughter some of Amy's work and letting her read the Supergirl comics that Amy did covers for. She agreed to come with me. I told her we might be able to get a sketch.

I got a sweet ComicFest poster from Time Warp comics in Boulder weeks before. Sophie (my daughter) and I decided that if we couldn't get a sketch, we'd at least get as many signatures on that poster as we could.

When we got there, it was pretty packed. Saturdays at a con, even a small one like this, are the busiest days, I guess. To be honest, I didn't take any pictures of the hall, or dealer booths. Really, this was all about Amy.

I did snap a pic of J Scott Campbell.

jscottcampbell-sm.jpg

Let me say that Amy really could not have been nicer to meet. We had to wait close to an hour to see her. The hour was spent by Sophie running around to booths getting sigs, so she wasn't bored. The poster turned out great at the end, but I'll get to that. The wait was due mostly to the fact that she chats up everyone. She does sketches, she signs whatever you want. She's so kind and generous with her time.

I brought six comics to get signed. Here are a couple:

sg58-sm.jpg

sg60-sm.jpg

I bought a Batwoman print for her to sign.

batwoman-print-sm.jpg

Then came the moment of truth. We had seen the guy before us get a sketch. I didn't have a lot of cash on me. I asked if she was charging for sketches. She said, "Nope!" She asked what we would like and I left it up to Sophie. She said "Supergirl" in a small voice. Amy went right to work.

Here is Amy working on the pencils. For Madame X or Death, she can go right to sharpie, but for Supergirl, she likes to sketch first so she gets the logo in there correctly.

SG-pencils1.jpg

While she worked, I asked her if she was getting a lot of questions about the schedule for Batwoman. She said that it was delayed initially because JH is slow. But the second and subsequent delays are just scheduling stuff with DC.

Here is the sketch as she begins to work with her sharpie:

SG-Inks-sm.jpg

She allowed Sophie to slip behind the table and get a pic too.

Amy-and-Sophie.jpg

I thanked her profusely for her time. It was such a pleasure to meet her and get to chat her up for a bit.

Here is the ComicFest poster after Amy signed it with a self portrait. The Sinestro is by Tyler Kirkham.

comicfest-poster-sm.jpg

I also chatted up Andy Kuhn who is a really cool guy. He was doing sketches of your favorite character puking, sketched on barf bags. Tempting.

Here is Sophie with her Sketch and a better pic of the final product. We had a blast. I am tempted to go back tomorrow and get J Scott's sig on the poster along with another sketch from Amy. Time will tell.

Thanks for reading all this!

Sophie-sketch-sm.jpg

SG-sketch-sm.jpg

I've heard so many bad things about people in this business. Its so nice to meet someone who's work you admire and have them turn out to be just a wonderful person. I think it was a great experience for my daughter to see that this woman who's art she has been drooling over is just another person like anyone else.

Kudos to Amy and all the other artists out there who remember they we're all just people.