• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Movie as good as Iron Man

602 posts in this topic

I just got back and saw the 3D version. There were 10 people watching it with me...place was empty :o

Same here but it was a 1:30 matinee.

My wife and I both enjoyed Thor. (thumbs u Was never interested in SA Thor, but I thought the story was good and the characters were well-cast.

I am not sure how I feel about Loki actually being a Frost Giant

Actually, in Norse mythology, Loki IS a Frost Giant.

Ah... Did not know that.

I think loki came across as sympathetic to so many people was because the actor had such a baby face.

I think Loki was sympathetic because he wasn`t your normal "bwa-ha-ha out to do evil and rule the world" villain, but had more complicated motives that people could actually sympathize with.

His initial actions to allow the Frost Giants in was simply a desire to upstage favored brother Thor, as opposed to actually allowing the Frost Giants to recover the cube thingie. Similarly, he saved Odin and his actions to let the Frost Giant king in was again just a ruse to make himself out to be a hero (although this time it was with a clear motive to become the king).

I saw it. I loved it. So did my friends. A lot of fun, great story, great acting, and the Rainbow Bridge was amazing.

I liked how they made the costumes look believable. Going to see it again in 2D to compare it to the 3D. I guess the 2D is a bit brighter because of digital.

Great decision. Went last night with a friend. He bought tix to the 3D show. I really dislike 3D. Wearing glasses on top of glasses is a recipe for a headache and the color appears washed out to me. Anyone else prefer 2D?

Just got back from my 3-D showing. LOVED it. I was a bit nervous that the whole "cosmic" aspect would come off as cheesy but they really pulled it off. The casting for Odin, Loki and Thor were perfect.

And I'm giddy to see the Cap movie!

Thor was absolutely spectacular. Maybe not as well developed as Batman but it has immediately leap frogged into my favorite Superhero movie of all time.

I thought the CGI wasn't the best in a few spots but over all I was as giddy as a child the entire 2 hours.

Thor's fight scenes were something I have been waiting to see for nearly 3 decades and it feels great to finally see it...and well done.

Couldn't help but think at one point how much Nik would have enjoyed the movie, being a big Thor fan...and then I realized he's already with Thor and Odin.

I'll be seeing it again in the theatre.

(thumbs u

Things I disliked about Thor movie:

1. Natalie Portman's acting under-utilized as Jane Foster.

2. The Destroyer was not more squat like a Kirby drawing to give the villian more heft.

3. The red movie poster was flaccid.

Overall, I love SA Thor comics and enjoyed the movie better than X-men 3 , Iron Man 2 or Spider-man 3. Loved the rainbow bridge and transporter mechanism guarded by Heimdall. :luhv:

I saw it. I loved it. So did my friends. A lot of fun, great story, great acting, and the Rainbow Bridge was amazing.

I liked how they made the costumes look believable. Going to see it again in 2D to compare it to the 3D. I guess the 2D is a bit brighter because of digital.

Great decision. Went last night with a friend. He bought tix to the 3D show. I really dislike 3D. Wearing glasses on top of glasses is a recipe for a headache and the color appears washed out to me. Anyone else prefer 2D?

Always in 2D.

Not really a big fan of 3-D, I still don't think the technology is good enough yet.

IMO 3D it being put on to many movies that really makes it worse than regular 2D.

Also the bold above is the reason 3D just annoys me.

SOT

Thor was absolutely spectacular. Maybe not as well developed as Batman but it has immediately leap frogged into my favorite Superhero movie of all time.

I thought the CGI wasn't the best in a few spots but over all I was as giddy as a child the entire 2 hours.

Thor's fight scenes were something I have been waiting to see for nearly 3 decades and it feels great to finally see it...and well done.

Couldn't help but think at one point how much Nik would have enjoyed the movie, being a big Thor fan...and then I realized he's already with Thor and Odin.

(thumbs u

Yea it was a great movie. I think this movie makes other non comic book attendees, and more importantly regular comic book collectors who may not be Thor fans see what an A level character the Thunder God can be. :headbang:

Action scenes blew my expectations away completely.

Just as good as Iron Man.

(JIM 89 is still the best Thor cover over #83. :baiting: )

journey_into_mystery_89.jpg

Thought the movie was great, though Odin really needs to think about hiring a new head of security. Heimdall was about as useful as Worf in terms of effectiveness in that department.

Seriously though, I loved it. Especially the Asgard portions. I saw the 3D version, and though I wasn't disappointed with the 3D, it's not worth the extra $$.

I was as giddy as a child the entire 2 hours.

Me too... (thumbs u

Me thee. Little worried going in because of the earlier feedback on the forums but it was a pretty cool movie. I enjoyed it. 4 out of 5 :)

I was as giddy as a child the entire 2 hours.

Me too... (thumbs u

Me thee. Little worried going in because of the earlier feedback on the forums but it was a pretty cool movie. I enjoyed it. 4 out of 5 :)

What the CNN.com forum? lol

I haven't one person yet who thought Thor was bad.

yes i still prefer 2d over 3d. you seem to loose a lot of picture using the 3d glasses. i see more of the film in 2d.

(thumbs u

i agree it was an awesome film.

That billboard was a nice easter egg that I missed upon the first viewing.

2-D was my preference. If I'd seen it in 3-D the Jotunheim sequence would likely have been too dark. The higher ticket price was a deterrent as well.

Now that I have had time to reflect upon the film more, I still think it is on par with Iron Man, and I just re-watched Iron Man to make sure.

Ultimately, the Iron Man film was an important milestone for Marvel, and long term it will go down as the most successful film since Spider Man. Not strictly based on the grosses, but on raising awareness of the Marvel Universe.

People were most aware of Spider Man and the X-Men, had seen the FF, The Hulk & Daredevil films, etc., but Iron Man was an enormous success. Will Thor do as well? Not quite (but almost), and I think Marvel Studios decision to release worldwide first rather than in the U.S. first was a mistake.

Following Captain America, the Avengers will be truly massive in 2012. We don't know how Cap will do, but it might outperform Thor, who knows? Arguably Thor was more obscure, but the global box office appears to be slightly above Marvel's expectations. Not such an obscure character *now,* certainly...

2013: Iron Man 3 (in development) and Thor 2 is a distinct possibility, now.

:wishluck:

So if you haven't gone yet, go see Thor! That will increase the chance of a sequel. I'd like to see a love triangle between Thor, Jane & Sif (team Sif all the way) --scratch that, throw Beta Ray Bill in there as well. You want more action? We've already seen the Casket of Ancient Winters, how about some Beta Ray Bill & the Surtur Saga, with Walt Simonson's input?

So what do you guys recommend?

I've never been to an IMAX movie before. There's a theater a few miles from me. I think it's only another two bucks. Two more bucks for 3D.

Please vote in my poll to help me decide. I think I'll go see it tomorrow.