• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-men 94-143 and GS 1

5 posts in this topic

I wouldn't recommend the Classic X-Men issues if you want to reread the originals, as Marvel cut quite a bit of book content, and added in lame (non-Cockrum/Byrne art) additional pages to make their "Phoenix Lives" 1980's retcon work.

In some cases, it makes the stories unreadable, while in others, they just assume all the readers already own these older X-Men comics, and are familiar with them.

A great example is the "mystery guy controlling Phoenix" angle that led to Dark Phoenix. This was an unknown factor in the originals, though Claremont hinted at it, but in Classic X-Men, his identity is revealed very early on, and ruins all suspense for new readers. There are tons of other examples of this, where the "surprise factor" has been deleted, and worst of all, Marvel even retconned new villains (like Apocalypse) into the old books. 893frustrated.gif

Basically, they're [!@#%^&^] and I'd recommend the Essentials or the Masterworks books.

I wouldn't recommend the Classic X-Men issues if you want to reread the originals, as Marvel cut quite a bit of book content, and added in lame (non-Cockrum/Byrne art) additional pages to make their "Phoenix Lives" 1980's retcon work.

In some cases, it makes the stories unreadable, while in others, they just assume all the readers already own these older X-Men comics, and are familiar with them.

A great example is the "mystery guy controlling Phoenix" angle that led to Dark Phoenix. This was an unknown factor in the originals, though Claremont hinted at it, but in Classic X-Men, his identity is revealed very early on, and ruins all suspense for new readers. There are tons of other examples of this, where the "surprise factor" has been deleted, and worst of all, Marvel even retconned new villains (like Apocalypse) into the old books. 893frustrated.gif

Basically, they're [!@#%^&^] and I'd recommend the Essentials or the Masterworks books.

thumbsup2.gif

With you on this one Joe. Although the Bolton back story stuff was pretty entertaining, when they started throwing in that crappy art with Kieron Dwyer or whoever it really crapped up the book.