• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please forgive the off-topic post, but...

44 posts in this topic

Any pix of the Kerckhoff Marine Lab? The wife worked there for a couple of years when we lived in Costa Mesa.

Yes, there's a vintage image of the harbor from the Corona del Mar cliffs with the lab off on the right, and then of course a corresponding "now" image.

I grew up in Costa Mesa, and still work there. Whereabouts did you live?

Pamela Lane, a tiny cul de sac near Harbor and Wilson, if memory serves me (it was during the early eighties). I was a poor post-doctoral fellow, and we lived in a townhouse next to a unit with so many inhabitants that at least two of them had bedrooms in their garage.

Best thing was the proximity to Harbor Blvd and the Circle K, where I bought my new comics, and Calentino's sub shop, the nearest thing I could find to a Philly hoagie place. And being able to bike to the awesome beaches of Newport, Balboa, and Corona del Mar, of course.

Any pix of the Kerckhoff Marine Lab? The wife worked there for a couple of years when we lived in Costa Mesa.

Yes, there's a vintage image of the harbor from the Corona del Mar cliffs with the lab off on the right, and then of course a corresponding "now" image.

I grew up in Costa Mesa, and still work there. Whereabouts did you live?

Pamela Lane, a tiny cul de sac near Harbor and Wilson, if memory serves me (it was during the early eighties). I was a poor post-doctoral fellow, and we lived in a townhouse next to a unit with so many inhabitants that at least two of them had bedrooms in their garage.

Best thing was the proximity to Harbor Blvd and the Circle K, where I bought my new comics, and Calentino's sub shop, the nearest thing I could find to a Philly hoagie place. And being able to bike to the awesome beaches of Newport, Balboa, and Corona del Mar, of course.

I grew up near the corner of Harbor and Fair Drive, just a few blocks north of where you were.

Was the Circle K on Wilson, just west of Harbor? If so, that was a U-Tote-M Market in the 1970s, and that's where I bought my first comics. A lady that worked there would let me look at the comics behind the counter before she put them out on the spinner rack.

Sadly, Calentino's is gone now. Did you ever try Nick's Pizza in the Harbor Shopping Center at Harbor and Wilson? That's still there, and has always been my favorite pizza on the planet.

Too bad about Calentino's. Mrs. C. is/was a very sweet lady. Pizza in SoCal was forgettable, frankly, for someone with an East Coast bias and who'd just arrived from Chicago. In fact, the only place I still remember in Costa Mesa was Haus of Pizza, which made it sound like the German version or something. The Mexican and seafood and a Thai place right on Newport Beach is what I remember most fondly.

Yes, the Circle K that used to be a U Tote Em was where I bought the majority of my books from 1981-'85. I didn't have a special arrangement with the owner, however. ;)