• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Journey Into Mystery #85

16 posts in this topic

I was directed here after posting in the production flaws thread:

Hello! I was thrilled to find this board a few days ago and have reading as much as I can non-stop since then. I used to collect about 20 years ago, then I got married and the comics stayed in boxes for years. The ex-wife tried to get rid of them many times over the years, but I never gave in. Now I've been going through them and found some decent stuff. My plan is to sell off some of the lesser valued comics first to generate some money so I can afford to send some of the better books to CGC for slabbing. The last time I looked at my comics slabbing didn't even exist yet, but it seems to be the way to go nowadays if you want to sell any decent comics. I thought I would use this thread to ask a question about one of my better books.

My Journey Into Mystery 85 has production creases on the front and back covers which continue very slightly until page 3 on the front and on the back gradually diminish throughout the last 10 pages of the book. The seam still has printing color in it so was either done after printing or wasn't deep enough to affect printing. The whole book looks as though it wasn't bound quite right because the front half of the book isn't completely square with the second half as can be seen in the scan. The spine is still pretty tight, so it doesn't appear as if it was thrown off square by rolling. How much do defects like these affect the overall grade? What grade do you think this book is?

33uwvx5.jpg[/img]

2dwf9e1.jpg

solid copy, staining on the back might hold the grade down a bit....Tough call, but definately worth sending in. production flaws detract, but as indicated, should affect the grade in the 7.0-8.0 range.

I'm betting you get a 7.5 low, 8.0 high side

I'd wager that the production creases and miswrap should not detract, but the staining and spine stress on the back cover (and is that a stain over Filbert?) could bring it down. I'd guess it's a 7.0. Still worth sending in.

Thanks for all of the input. Yeah, there is a stain/smudge over the word Filbert. I have some older DC's like JLA, Flash, Superman, and a handful of War stuff. Lots of Marvels too. A small amount of Gold stuff, a decent amount of Silver, and a ton of Bronze. Can I post more stuff in the same thread, or am I supposed to make a thread for each book?