• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know anything about old Marvel stock shares.

13 posts in this topic

While I sold most of my Marvel stock for some nice coin,I ended up holding 100 shares when they went into bankruptcy. Months later they sent me something called warrants.Put them away and never thought about them. I ran across them today and can't make heads or tails out of them. Did anyone else here have shares at the time?Anyone know if these things have any value at present?

nevermind. I just checked into it. there are currently no outstanding warrants on MVL stock. they're most likely worthless now [in a bankruptcy, the holder of common stock is typically the the last in a long chain to be paid, after bondholders, preferred shares, etc], but theres a small chance they were automatically converted for you. Although it sounds like you are an actual paper certificate holder (in which case they would've mailed them to you)

Call 212.576.4000 and ask for the Investor relations dept. They'll be able to give you more specific information than I can.

Might be worth that phone call. I just sold some "free money" options

that were given to me on the last promotion, and without the company

brokers help I'd have been clueless. Almost have to have Sam Waterson

at your side to figure this 4 page thing out.

Class C and Plan Warrants Expired October 2, 2002 I am not providing you with any legal advice.

While I sold most of my Marvel stock for some nice coin,I ended up holding 100 shares when they went into bankruptcy. Months later they sent me something called warrants.Put them away and never thought about them. I ran across them today and can't make heads or tails out of them. Did anyone else here have shares at the time?Anyone know if these things have any value at present?

That's not technically correct. Ike Perlmutter still has warrants that he received in 2001 for guaranteeing a loan that Marvel was given. Also, various officers and directors have warrants. They show up on MVL's financial statements and are referred to in MVL's SEC filings. Assuming you're talking about the bankruptcy warrants, that is another story. (See the press release I linked to above.)

nevermind. I just checked into it. there are currently no outstanding warrants on MVL stock. they're most likely worthless now [in a bankruptcy, the holder of common stock is typically the the last in a long chain to be paid, after bondholders, preferred shares, etc], but theres a small chance they were automatically converted for you. Although it sounds like you are an actual paper certificate holder (in which case they would've mailed them to you)

Call 212.576.4000 and ask for the Investor relations dept. They'll be able to give you more specific information than I can.

OK,thanks everybody.I'll call them just to be sure.

Could someone give a quick thumbnail sketch of what a warrant is,and what I lost by letting it expire.

I remember that when I got them,I was a member of an investment club and no-one knew what to make of them.

I'll save them a few more years and then hawk them on ebays eventual successor.

I believe they did expire for all us basic investors. frown.gif Do you still have some of the annual reports sent to us in the form of a comic book? They might fetch something on Ebay. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey Marvel, never let Ron Perleman near you again! mad.gif893frustrated.gif

OK,thanks everybody.I'll call them just to be sure.

Could someone give a quick thumbnail sketch of what a warrant is,and what I lost by letting it expire.

I remember that when I got them,I was a member of an investment club and no-one knew what to make of them.

I'll save them a few more years and then hawk them on ebays eventual successor.

A warrant is the same thing as a call option (gives the owner the right to purchase a prescribed number of shares at a fixed price by a certain time), except that the company has to issue new shares when a warrant is exercised (so, the "stock options" that people get from their companies are actually warrants, unlike the options that trade on the CBOE/AMEX/PHLX that are written on shares that are already outstanding and trading in the marketplace).

You didn't lose anything by not exercising the warrants - neither class of common stock warrants issued to stockholders in the reorganization was ever in the money before they expired. If I recall correctly (from Dan Raviv's book "Comic Wars"), I think they just threw in these way, way out of the money warrants to the stockholders to get them to confirm the reorg plan, so they felt like they got something out of it...I don't think anyone realistically expected the warrants to ever be worth anything.