• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swamp Thing is Back!

13 posts in this topic

I read the second issue last night, and it confirmed my impression from #1: This series rocks, and they've finally successfully revived the franchise!

Things I really like:

- Enrique Breccia's art is a nice synthesis of both Bernie Wrightson and the Bissette/Totleben period.

- Andy Diggle is taking seriously the continuity of all the previous ST versions.

- The book, while clearly a Vertigo title, apparently intends to keep one foot grounded in DC continuity, as is fitting for the flagship/prototype Vertigo character.

- Finally, I love the policy on covers: Everything from the dark cover background coloring, to the placement of the boilerplate publishing info at mid-cover (not the top), to that GREAT BIG LOGO! cloud9.gif It almost looks like a pre-Code Horror! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Ya know...I picked up a copy of #1 the other day..opened it up and promptly put it back on the shelf...I thought the artwork was crude and I figured the story line would be just as bad... confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe I'll give it a second chance based on your recommendation.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So I've just wasted my time trying to find a #2 cover image, complete with the ad copy. Vertigo on-line now only shows the cover art sans copy. Never mind-- you can see it at your LCS. In the meantime, here is last month's #1, which has some but not all of the features I liked about #2:

swampthing1.jpg

Ya know...I picked up a copy of #1 the other day..opened it up and promptly put it back on the shelf...I thought the artwork was crude and I figured the story line would be just as bad... confused-smiley-013.gif

I wouldn't call it crude, but I could see how it could be seen that way. It certainly wouldn't please any Byrne Austin obsessives. 27_laughing.gif then again, nothing pleases those for whom comics ended in 1981.

The style is intentionally rough. The lines are all hacked, slashed, splattered and scribbled. The figures are tweaked. The faces are mostly ugly. It's not your standard 70s-80s era "comic book art," but that's exactly what the guy is going for. Which is cool by me thumbsup2.gif

The new series is off to a great start IMHO. Nice cover artwork, how could you not pick up issue #2? I just hope they finally decide what to do with Tefé. Past writers seemed not to know what to do with this character. I hope she fits in nicely in this new series!

Thanks,

It has always been a favorite cover of mine. It reminds me of myself when I spend too much money on comics! 893whatthe.gif

I have to say that I'm a big Skywald fan and it's ironic that Psycho #18 is the last issue I need to complete my run (hard to find a decent copy, huh?).

Nightmare #2 has been eluding me also. I would love to find one!