• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mission Statement for The Restoration Lab

70 posts in this topic

Thanks, EffEffBee.

In the spirit of the current discussion, how would you feel about cracking open a restored comic book from its holder if you owned one?

I have cracked almost every restored book I've owned and would do it for every restored book I owned from this point forward, unless it was a signature series restored book - for the same reasons mentioned here by others. I want to see the book. Just keep the label with it and the buyer has no surprises.

Thanks, EffEffBee.

In the spirit of the current discussion, how would you feel about cracking open a restored comic book from its holder if you owned one?

Scott (FFB), Jim and I cracked open an Amazing Fantasy #15 of his a few years back - I forget the details, but it was a serious frankenbook :grin:

I think it was a restored 4.0 Extensive (P), if I remember correctly. Good times, good times!!! :banana:

which my two sons will fight over some day to determine who gets which one.

:o Ah! So that's what you've been up to! lol:applause:

(thumbs u :cloud9:

I think I've cracked almost every PLOD or GLOD I've owned. Why not?

Precisely, (but I have never owned or received a PLOD). I love GLOD's, particularly if the qualification is (in my mind) silly. :grin:

Why would they respond to anything mentioned here? (shrug)

You are probably right. On second thought why should cgc want to have a dialogue with their clientbase and their customer network? I agree with you thats a weird thought. Could ideas and knowledge floating around here on the boards have a potential value as creative input for cgc to reflect upon so that they could improve the services the offer the collector community? Nah ... I agree with you. It a completely sick idea lol

Welcome to the forum Susan. I hope you do post a few comments occasionally, we appreciate any input.

I've been collecting since the 70's, or longer like so many others here. I remember when I first read about the Restoration Lab, do I recall a figure correctly of $15 an hour labor? I have all of the Overstreet guides, so I'm sure some of the early issues are what I read the most from.

I like conservation methods. Unfortunately people have decided anything except nothing or tape is bad for comics. I don't like the fraud associated with "restoration" we deal with from way back until now, the typical trimming of books. But to improve a comic book should be considered a good thing by itself. For that reason I have no problem with pressing or cleaning, if the end result does not reduce the lifespan of the book. If the comic will last longer from the work done, I consider that a positive result. Regards,