• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truth justice & the American way No more, as Superman renounces U.S. Citizenship

337 posts in this topic

More power to him. I'm not sure I want to be an American right now either.

Is Tennessee still part of the US?

I was watching the History Channel last night and discovered that part of East Tennessee actually tried to break off and become the 14th state ahead of Vermont. The state of Franklin lasted four years before it John Sevier wrangled it back as Congress would not recognize it as a state. .

You live right around Sevierville, don't you?

I do.

Davy Crocket was born in what was then the Republic of Franklin in 1786.

It was not quite "breaking off"..North Carolina gave it to the federal government (Tennessee did not exist yet as a state) to help pay of war debts and it applied for statehood in 1785, falling short of the required votes in the Continental congress to become the 14th state, it then was in a state of limbo for a while because it wasn't technically part of North Carolina anymore, etc. It would have been a teeny tiny state.

Fascinating stuff. I'd like to think I have a decent grasp of American history and have read a bit on this general neck of the woods (Daniel Boone is a distant ancestor apparently, so I've read a bit on him), but I did not know about this one.

As a patriotic American, and a comic book collector, I am saddened at this news. I will no longer purchase Superman comic books or toys.

I am also saddened at how lightly some of y'all take and covet your citizenship of this country. A lot of people died working to give us what we have here. How sad that so many dismiss it so easily.

Why are you not living in Canada or Kenya? I am sure Kenya needs a lot of doctors. Canada also is short on doctors and medical care. Both have to be better than this rotten country, right?

When our leaders don't believe in American exceptionalism I am not surprised by DC having Superman renounce his citizenship. As someone already mentioned they already took "the American Way" out in the Superman Returns movie. Since comics are written and drawn, for the most part, by people that lean that way it shouldn't come as a shock. Just a natural progression from patriotic comics of WW2 to America sucks comics of today.

Maybe this is a brilliant marketing idea, but I will spend my money elsewhere.

I think DC is probably mostly trying to appeal to the fans they have. Your average 12-16 year old might really dig this story. And it will probably play well to the under 30 readers as well. I note a lot of comments here, that people don't buy the book anyway. I haven't bought a superman comic since 1980.

That the thing though, the average DC fan is not a 12-16 year old, it’s the 35 to 45 year old male. Not many comic readers are under 30 years of age.

BTW it’s not just Superman’s sales that are pitiful, if you look at the supposedly cool and hip DeadPool and Wolverine their sales are just as bad.

They can`t even clear 40,000 copies a month and if you in factor in that their sales are artificially inflated because of dealers ordering extra copies to get the variants than the future does not bode well for for the monthly floppy.

2c

As a patriotic American, and a comic book collector, I am saddened at this news. I will no longer purchase Superman comic books or toys.

I am also saddened at how lightly some of y'all take and covet your citizenship of this country. A lot of people died working to give us what we have here. How sad that so many dismiss it so easily.

Why are you not living in Canada or Kenya? I am sure Kenya needs a lot of doctors. Canada also is short on doctors and medical care. Both have to be better than this rotten country, right?

The reaction struck me too.

This is a disgusting stance by DC.

I wish I bought their :censored: so I could boycott it now...

I'm sorry, are you guys saying that anyone who posted in this thread in anything other than a tone of moral outrage does not take their US citizenship seriously? Really?

It's friggin' comic book that nobody even reads anymore - it's not the fall of western civilization. :eyeroll:

I bet you'd really think I was un-American if I pointed out that the addition of the phrase "and the American Way" being added to the intro of the the 1950's TV show at the height of the McCarthy-era Cold War hysteria was also a blatant political statement - so I better not go there. :whistle:

Oh yeah and.... IBL! :whee:

I think DC is probably mostly trying to appeal to the fans they have. Your average 12-16 year old might really dig this story. And it will probably play well to the under 30 readers as well. I note a lot of comments here, that people don't buy the book anyway. I haven't bought a superman comic since 1980.

That the thing though, the average DC fan is not a 12-16 year old, it’s the 35 to 45 year old male. Not many comic readers are under 30 years of age.

BTW it’s not just Superman’s sales that are pitiful if you look at the supposedly cool and hip DeadPool and Wolverine their sales are just as bad.

They can`t even clear 40,000 copies a month and if you in factor in that their sales are artificially inflated because of dealers ordering extra copies to get the variants than the future does not bode well for for the monthly floppy.

2c

Wow, I didn't realize things were that bad. Clearly then, they are trying to expand their reader base, to get to those kids again. But what is a book now days, $4 - $5 bucks, that seems like too much money, for a kid (I won't even pay that). Why not try a few printed on crappy old newpaper, that sell for $1.50? Do kids need a glossy pamphlet for a comic book? It might just be hopeless, kids probably aren't interested in reading comics when instead they can go on the internet or play video games.

BTW it’s not just Superman’s sales that are pitiful if you look at the supposedly cool and hip DeadPool and Wolverine their sales are just as bad.

2c

Wow, I didn't realize things were that bad. Clearly then, they are trying to expand their reader base, to get to those kids again. But what is a book now days, $4 - $5 bucks, that seems like too much money, for a kid (I won't even pay that). Why not try a few printed on crappy old newpaper, that sell for $1.50? Do kids need a glossy pamphlet for a comic book? It might just be hopeless, kids probably aren't interested in reading comics when instead they can go on the internet or play video games.

Its hopeless as kids and teens rather pay $60 for the latest hit videogame than a $1 for the latest comics. I tried to give comicbooks away for free to my son and nephews and both times the comic books sat in the closets collecting dust as they played videogames which leads back to my point that this Superman story is aimed at the 35 to 45 male and not the 12-16 year old.

When our leaders don't believe in American exceptionalism I am not surprised by DC having Superman renounce his citizenship. As someone already mentioned they already took "the American Way" out in the Superman Returns movie. Since comics are written and drawn, for the most part, by people that lean that way it shouldn't come as a shock. Just a natural progression from patriotic comics of WW2 to America sucks comics of today.

Let me guess - if you're not shouting "AMERICA IS #1" at every given opportunity, you're not a patriot, right?

Let me guess - if you're not shouting "AMERICA IS #1" at every given opportunity, you're not a patriot, right?

This immediately sprung to mind when you posted that....I don't know why...

Superman may have renounced his citizenship but I bet you clark kent is still an american! Dc writers can't go the full nine yards and have him fully leave the country.... Bunch of hypocrites.

Good point. It's not like "Superman" has a passport or anything. Sure, putting aside Smallville episodes, the world first saw him in Metropolis (Chicago I'll presume), he might have been an illegal Canadian immigrant for all the world knows!

I bet you'd really think I was un-American if I pointed out that the addition of the phrase "and the American Way" being added to the intro of the the 1950's TV show at the height of the McCarthy-era Cold War hysteria was also a blatant political statement - so I better not go there. :whistle:

^^

You guessed wrong. It would actually be those who never miss an opportunity to run down America who would not be patriots. Or just jealous people from other places who can't stand the American way of life.