• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT -- five favorite places to eat in your home town (or nearest large city)

86 posts in this topic

I've been to that Ruth's Chris in Irvine and thought it was very good. It was the first steak I'd had in probably the three or four weeks prior to that day (don't ask me why, it just worked out that way), so I was really loving that slice of ribeye.

We have a Ruth's Chris up here too (SF). I have never had a bad steak there. I love that they briefly pan fry your steak in melted butter after broiling it. Talk about decadent. I do that to my own steaks at home now.

(1)Ruth's Chris (Irvine, CA) Best steak that you will ever eat! The Creme Brulee makes you feel like you are committing a sin!

(2)Koji's (Orange, CA) Great sushi with the Rainbow and Crunchy Shrimp roll that rocks the house!

(3)Kim Tar (Cerritos, CA) Extremely good chinese food for pennies! Great seafood chow fun, Won Ton Soup, and Beef Steak!

(4)Macho Cafe (San Gabriel, CA) Best fish tacos on the planet! Customer service is second to none!

(5)John's Philly Grille (Anaheim, CA) Awesome Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches and fries with that awesome seasoning!

and what didn't make it on to the list was IN-N-OUT Burgers. Anybody that visits California should know that they are the best by now insane.gif

Well, there are no large cities in Maine so we'll keep this kind of general for anyone coming up this way...

1) Lobster - Any resteraunt, we don't screw it up in Maine so no worries. Buy one, eat it, use lots of butter.

2) Bar Harbor - Go there, find a place with seating outside near the sidewalk and prepare for a buzzed afternoon watching all the pretty tourists walk by. Food quality isn't important when your buzzed.

3) The Chocolate Grill - Orono, ME. (Go Black Bears!) Good everything.

4) Pepino's - They have this puree' jalapeno dip that'll clean out your sinus', digestive tract, colon and then your plumbing at home too.

5) This isn't local but they have great franks (hotdogs). That's right baby, good ole Fenway Park.

CRC

Maine is on our list of vacation destinations this summer. Any other tips????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If anybody is planning to come to Indianapolis (the greatest spectacle in racing is coming up soon!), here are our picks:

1. Oakley's Bistro - local creative, chef driven, unique cuisine cloud9.gif

2. Palamino - everything consistently good, nice atmosphere, downtown Indy

3. Bonge's Tavern - out in the middle of nowhere, bring a lawn chair and cooler for while you're waiting in the parking lot, in Perkinsville, IN

4. Shapiro's Deli - the closest Indianapolis (actually suburban Carmel) has to the real thing

5. The Friendly Tavern - biggest tenderloin, best burger, "You're only a stranger once"

In Houston,

Casa de Phil- Best grilled genuine 2 inch thick Texas ribeye steak in the freakin' world, served with "the shakers" baked Idaho wonders, seasoned with genuine

Wisconsin sour cream and shredded cheddar, and a side order of "where the

hell is Iowa" corn on the cob.

Out on the town:

For bar-b-que : Drexler's on Scott St near the U of H, and yes

Clyde Drexlers mother is the head honcho. Awesome chopped beef sandwiches.

For fancy eatin' : Brady's Landing, tie and jacket required, ask for Marquel,

dude can let you know what is tremendous, and what is only spectacular.

For finger food : Mustang drive in on Uvalde Road. Onion rings the size

of wheel covers made with genuine Texas 1051 onions.

For genuine grinnin' food : Slap Yo Mama Soul Food on Normandy Blvd.

World's finest burned wings, nollins style ribs, biggest pile of dirty rice

on the planet, the sweetest greens this Texas boy has ever ett.

(1)Ruth's Chris (Irvine, CA) Best steak that you will ever eat! The Creme Brulee makes you feel like you are committing a sin!

(2)Koji's (Orange, CA) Great sushi with the Rainbow and Crunchy Shrimp roll that rocks the house!

(3)Kim Tar (Cerritos, CA) Extremely good chinese food for pennies! Great seafood chow fun, Won Ton Soup, and Beef Steak!

(4)Macho Cafe (San Gabriel, CA) Best fish tacos on the planet! Customer service is second to none!

(5)John's Philly Grille (Anaheim, CA) Awesome Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches and fries with that awesome seasoning!

and what didn't make it on to the list was IN-N-OUT Burgers. Anybody that visits California should know that they are the best by now insane.gif

Huh I thought your #1 to #5 would be Kabuki Kabuki Kabuki.....

tongue.gif

There are three different foods everyone who visits Chicago should try: Hot dogs, pizza, and steak.

For hot dogs, there is no place better than Gene & Judes. Don't sweat the long lines, make sure you listen to how the other people order so you can get it right when it's your turn, and BY GOD never ask for ketchup. Not even for the fries. They don't have any in the entire place and, depending on who's working, you might just find your butt on the street! smile.gif For anyone visiting for the Chicago Comicon (that's Wizard World for all you newbies), Gene & Judes is literally five minutes down River Road, so there's absolutely no excuse not to visit at least once!

For pizza, skip the "traditional Chicago-style" (deep-dish) pie and grab a thin crust from any one of the hundreds of Ma & Pop storefronts scattered throughout the city and its burbs. Personally, I follow the holy triumvirate of Home Run Inn, Falco's, and Grand Slam Pizza. I believe the guys who opened the last two worked at the first, so their pies are derivative. Grand Slam edges the competition, though. If "eat a Chicago-style pizza" is one of those things in life you just have to do, skip Uno's and Lou Malnatti's and choose Giordano's instead.

For steaks, a few here have already mentioned Ruth's Chris, and I have to concur they edge out the competition in flavor. There's just something about that melted butter .... However, Morton's is tops for everything else -- sides, deserts, wine list, decor, so they consistently get the nod from me. Close behind these two are Gibson's and Magnum's. It's a bit unfortunate that the best steak places in what used to be the "slaughterhouse capital of the world" are chains, but there you have it. confused-smiley-013.gif

For high-end dining, pick up a Zagat's Guide ... they're pretty on the money. Charlie Trotter's and Ambria offer up your classical cuisine, Le Colonial is Asian (Vietnamese, actually), and Spiaggia is the best Italian in town (although if you catch them after the chef has gotten ahold of some white truffles, be prepared for the wait staff to put on the hard sell and want you to add some to just about every dish!). Skip Zealous and Tru because while you'll still get a tasty meal, I got the impression the chefs' training were nowhere near as comprehensive as say, Charlie Trotter's. Some of the dishes at these two establishments seem to break the wrong culinary rules.

And for the absolute best meal in the city, go to La Creperie on Clark St. It's a hole-in-the-wall joint my wife and I have been to at least a hundred times, and we've never had a bad experience.

Alan

For Toronto:

1) Akasaka- Japanese food, a bit pricey though.

2) Grazie- Italian food....nuff said.

3) Ruby Skies- Martini bar but has great salads and pizzas, again, a bit pricey.

4) Rex Saigon- Thai food, peanut sauce lovers paradise.

5) Johnnys- Hamburgers....best spot in all of t.o. Packed fri + sat nights with club kids.

Sorry, but if you can't put ketchup on a dog, why bother? confused-smiley-013.gif

HEATHEN! wink.gif

It's a Chicago thing. Some people try and justify it by saying the sweetness of the ketchup overpowers the subtle rat hair-flavor of the hot dog, but in the end it's really just one of those things that makes this city unique. cool.gif

Alan

I have had plenty of Chicago dogs, and they are good, but I still put ketchup on top of everything else (so I guess technically it isn't "on" the dog smirk.gif).

The dog of choice here in Motown is the coney - chili, cheese and mustard. Although some feel adding the cheese makes you a heathen too gossip.gif

Every once in a while during the summer, I load up the family and drive down to the local A&W drive-in restaurant for foot-long coneys and frosted mug root beer. Not too many of those places left unfortunately. Like living in a 50's Archie comic (sorry Lucy!) cloud9.gif

There are three different foods everyone who visits Chicago should try: Hot dogs, pizza, and steak.

For hot dogs, there is no place better than Gene & Judes. Don't sweat the long lines, make sure you listen to how the other people order so you can get it right when it's your turn, and BY GOD never ask for ketchup. Not even for the fries. They don't have any in the entire place and, depending on who's working, you might just find your butt on the street! smile.gif For anyone visiting for the Chicago Comicon (that's Wizard World for all you newbies), Gene & Judes is literally five minutes down River Road, so there's absolutely no excuse not to visit at least once!

For pizza, skip the "traditional Chicago-style" (deep-dish) pie and grab a thin crust from any one of the hundreds of Ma & Pop storefronts scattered throughout the city and its burbs. Personally, I follow the holy triumvirate of Home Run Inn, Falco's, and Grand Slam Pizza. I believe the guys who opened the last two worked at the first, so their pies are derivative. Grand Slam edges the competition, though. If "eat a Chicago-style pizza" is one of those things in life you just have to do, skip Uno's and Lou Malnatti's and choose Giordano's instead.

For steaks, a few here have already mentioned Ruth's Chris, and I have to concur they edge out the competition in flavor. There's just something about that melted butter .... However, Morton's is tops for everything else -- sides, deserts, wine list, decor, so they consistently get the nod from me. Close behind these two are Gibson's and Magnum's. It's a bit unfortunate that the best steak places in what used to be the "slaughterhouse capital of the world" are chains, but there you have it. confused-smiley-013.gif

For high-end dining, pick up a Zagat's Guide ... they're pretty on the money. Charlie Trotter's and Ambria offer up your classical cuisine, Le Colonial is Asian (Vietnamese, actually), and Spiaggia is the best Italian in town (although if you catch them after the chef has gotten ahold of some white truffles, be prepared for the wait staff to put on the hard sell and want you to add some to just about every dish!). Skip Zealous and Tru because while you'll still get a tasty meal, I got the impression the chefs' training were nowhere near as comprehensive as say, Charlie Trotter's. Some of the dishes at these two establishments seem to break the wrong culinary rules.

And for the absolute best meal in the city, go to La Creperie on Clark St. It's a hole-in-the-wall joint my wife and I have been to at least a hundred times, and we've never had a bad experience.

Alan

Its NOT TOO EARLY to start thinking about a repeat Forum Dinner at Morton's in Rosemont. One of the best steaks I've had in quite some time, good times and fabulous bourbon. August 14, 2004. Mark it down NOW. grin.gif

Its NOT TOO EARLY to start thinking about a repeat Forum Dinner at Morton's in Rosemont. One of the best steaks I've had in quite some time, good times and fabulous bourbon. August 14, 2004. Mark it down NOW. grin.gif

You got it, Dan! thumbsup2.gif

And hopefully we'll see some new faces this year, too. We've had a few Chicagoland additions to our little group since August. hi.gif

Maine is on our list of vacation destinations this summer. Any other tips????

If anybody is planning to come to Indianapolis (the greatest spectacle in racing is coming up soon!), here are our picks:

1. Oakley's Bistro - local creative, chef driven, unique cuisine

3. Bonge's Tavern - out in the middle of nowhere, bring a lawn chair and cooler for while you're waiting in the parking lot, in Perkinsville, IN

4. Shapiro's Deli - the closest Indianapolis (actually suburban Carmel) has to the real thing

5. The Friendly Tavern - biggest tenderloin, best burger, "You're only a stranger once"

Sure, what part of Maine are you going to be in and what things do you generally like to do?

CRC

Maine is on our list of vacation destinations this summer. Any other tips????

1. Oakley's Bistro - local creative, chef driven, unique cuisine

Sure, what part of Maine are you going to be in and what things do you generally like to do?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well not sure as to where yet,, but eat drink be merry..what else! insane.gif

Seriously, we like good food from local dive joints, best ethnic spots, to classic chef driven places. Price is a concern, but we usually try and go to at least 1 really nice place, and eat lunch at several others nice places(since lunch is cheaper), and then most other times, we want to find a good/decent fresh place that is busy and fun, that locals know about. No chains tho.,we can do that here.

We love seafood,, and eclectic menus, focusinbg on fresh

Not afraid to try something different.

Any advice on best place to go/stay/sights/eats.., on a fairly modest budget would be of great help.

Thanks 893applaud-thumb.gif

Zeman

CRC

In Philly (yo, listen up for Wizardworld!):

- Towne Pizza: On 19th and Pine, my favorite cheesesteak of them all.

- Ciboulette: In Center City (walking distance from convention center), outstanding provincial French, but you need a reservation

- Suzanna Foo: Also a short walk from the con, this is Asian/French fusion at its best; also need a reservation

- Belgian Chocolate House: For dessert

- Downhome Diner: In the Reading Terminal Market a block from the con; go there for lunch and pig out on the homestyle cookin'

- Dmitri's: in Old City, for the fish, prepared Greek-style

Some Commentary on the Philly recommendations:

Susanna Foo: Incredible food, and one of the very best chinese resturaunts on the east coast. But... it's incredibly expensive and you need to make reservation very far in advance.

Down Home Diner: Overrated. Not recommended for lunch. Breakfast is good, and it's close to the convention center.

Dmitri's: located in Queen Village. (there's actually another one, if this is the one I'm thinking of, it's across from New Wave Cafe). Great food, but you won't get in on a weekend. Tiny place.

Other Philly recommendations:

Look, I could recommend Le Bec Fin, or the Rittenhouse Hotel, but that seems both obvious and expensive.... if you're in for Wizard World, the Capital Grille, Maggiano's, Ruth Chris' and some others are clearly within walking distance: you'll be able to find them on your own.

Here's some other places:

Tequilla's: 16th and Locust, great Spanish cusine. Not unbelievably expensive and nice quiet atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Beuamonde: corner of 6th/Bainbridge. awesome place. serves a lot of great crepe dishes... amazing... quirky sort of environment.

Shiao Lan Kung: Chinatown, inbetween 9th and 10th on Race. Hole in the wall, reviewed by Craig LaBan of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Got three bells (highly unusual) which is an outstanding rating. One of the greatest secrets in Chinatown and unbelievably affordable.

Buddhakhan: 3rd and Chestnut. Wonderful place, and the best of the Stephen Starr efforts. Nice, nice atomosphere. Expensive, but worth it.

Dessert: 6th and Catherine (near Passyunk). New place, rave reviews, not open that much, but a real find.

Little Fish: Basically next door to dessert. Want a great BYOB that serves great fresh fish everyday? Varied menu? This is the place. Another smallish place that is out of this world.

Buddhakhan: 3rd and Chestnut. Wonderful place, and the best of the Stephen Starr efforts. Nice, nice atomosphere. Expensive, but worth it.

Speaking of Stephen Starr, have you been to Morimoto?

Speaking of Stephen Starr, have you been to Morimoto?

Just did a little research on my own and it's 1/2 mile from my hotel. Lunch before I head over to the show on Friday here I come cloud9.gif

rob:

yes, I've been. And lunch is definitely the way to go if you want to go there. It's expensive, but for lunch, it's actually quite nice. You can sit at the sushi bar and then see Morimoto at work... many times. He lives in the area, but he's obviously not always there...

I'm not a huge sushi fan, but they have other stuff on the menu.

enjoy the lunch... the quality is definitely there... You are within walking distance. If you stay at the Marriot at 12th and Filbert (across from the con center) you can simply walk by going down 12th to chestnut st. (two blocks) and then walk down chestnut in between 6th and 7th st. and you're there.

Also in that area is the Stephen Starr owned Jones (for comfort food, but it's overrated) and the former Blue Angel.

I love sushi and the rest of the menu looks amazing, so if it's as good as advertised I'll basically be in heaven. I missed him when he worked at Nobu, so I'm definitely taking the opportunity this time. Especially since it's so close- I'm staying at Loews Philadelphia, which is I guess a half mile from Morimoto.

The Loews is a great hotel, and you have a pretty nice resturaunt right in your hotel. You're basically at 12th and market or so. follow the same directions. walk one street down market onto chestnut street and then about 5 blocks down towards 6th st.

The Loews is slightly better than the Marriot in terms of quality, and you have the Reading terminal market right there as well. Plus, you have a great view of City Hall etc., etc.