• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT -- five favorite places to eat in your home town (or nearest large city)

86 posts in this topic

Zeman gave me the idea for this thread. List your five favorite restaurants in your home town, or if you want to include restaurants in your nearest large city, that's fine too.

My five:

1) Fifth Floor

2) Gary Danko

3) Slanted Door

4) Fleur de Lys

5) Bacar (1,200 bottle wine list, with 100 different wines by the glass, including 2 oz flights so you can really experiment)

In no particular order (northern suburb's of Motown):

1.) Ruth Chris Steakhouse

2.) Lipuma's Coney Island

3.) Inn Season Cafe (vegetarian)

4.) MacPhee's (Scottish/Irish)

5.) Excalibur (place to watch and be seen)

thumbsup2.gif

Oh boy... how do we do this for NYC? Why, pick a type of cuisine, of course!

1. Mexicana Mama

2. Suenos

3. Mi Cocina

4. Rocking Horse Cafe

5. Salsa y Salsa

So now y'all know some of the better places to get some high-class tequila...

Larry

In no real order.

1. Blue Ginger. Ming Tsai's place is EASILY my favorite place to eat in the city.

2. Santarpios- Brilliant pizza. Visible on your way to the airport in East Boston.

3. Doyles. A very "Boston" Irish pub. Good comfort food with an excellent beer and single malt scotch selection.

4. Lala Rokh on Beacon Hill. Brilliant Persian cuisine.

5. Grill 23. Excellent all the way around.

6. China Pearl Best Dim Sum in the city.

7. The Elephant Walk French/Cambodian Cuisine. An awesome experience.

8. Rialto A top dining experience. I vividly remember my last meal there.

9. Turner Fisheries I seafood, I eat it.

10. Dali The coolest restaurant in the city. Brilliant Tapas and the decor is like something out of, well, Dali.

Two restaurants I haven't been to but plan to visit are The Federalist (best wine list in the city) and Oishii the highest rated restaurant in the city last year in the Zagat survey (29 points out of 30.) I love sushi, so what the heck...

One honorable mention (because it's not in Boston) is my favorite restaurant in New England, Fore Street in Portland, Maine. We went last summer and it was probably the single best meal I've ever had.

No real order. Remember that I have an 8 year old and 3 year old

1. My living room

2. My kitchen

3. My basement

4. My bedroom

5. My deck.

When I have a moment without my children

1. Florida Avenue Grill. Best "southern" cooking in DC. DO NOT GO if you are even thinking about dieting, also not in the nicest of neighborhoods. But the food is spectacular. Just amazing.

2. 1789 downtown

3. Mikako Sushi Taro - Herndon

4. Tony's Pizza in Fair Lakes. Why is this in a strip mall in an exurb? Best lunch in the tri-state area.

5. Old Ebbitt Grill - its VERY VERY touristy, but they do have damn good seafood.

You're in Boston, Rob? My last night is tonight. Any must-visit restaurant recommendations where I could get a table on short notice?

1. Pizza Maker - I think its funny how the most out of the way, unassuming places have the best food! This place has the best pizza, wings and grinders I have ever eaten (and thats saying a lot!!) thumbsup2.gif

2. Olive Garden - Great Italian dishes, nice atmosphere! thumbsup2.gif

3. Hu Ke Lau - Best place around for chinese dishes, great buffet! thumbsup2.gif

4. Chili's - great burgers and fajitas! thumbsup2.gif

5. Celery Stalk - best lunch: chicken salad grinder and chili...try that combination, you'll love it!! thumbsup2.gif

Hatford, CT... thumbsup2.gif

Outback for the Clam Chowder and the Cheese Fries

99 for the seafood chowder and the boneless wings.

J. Timothys for the best wings in the world (double dirt, double dipped)

Olive Garden cause my wife loves Italian...and when she's happy I'm happy.

Imperial Buffet all you can eat with a sushi bar.

For those of you guys who don't have your city listed in your profile, could you edit your posts to indicate which city you're talking about? thumbsup2.gif

Hey Rob_react:

Is the No-name Restaurant still around (downtown, waterfront)? I ate there in the mid-80's. Man, the chowder there was AWESOME... thumbsup2.gif

Yes it is. I actually mentioned it to my girlfriend and now we're going to make plans to head down there thumbsup2.gif

You're in Boston, Rob? My last night is tonight. Any must-visit restaurant recommendations where I could get a table on short notice?

Sorry, I wish I'd caught this. When you posted it I was in the car on the way to the pool.

There are definitely some options. It all would have depended on where you're staying.

I'm staying at the Hotel Nine Zero. We wound up going to Terramia in the North End. Good stuff, but I realized along the way that BC was playing in the semis tonight in the Frozen Four. Terramia was great, but with the entertainment factor thrown in, I'd have rather had a hot dog or two at the Fleet Center tonight.

By the way -- went to the Bruins' game against the Habs last night. What a game! I can't believe that the game didn't sell out though. There were tons of tickets available on Ticketmaster yesterday morning. 893whatthe.gif

Sorry, I wish I'd caught this. When you posted it I was in the car on the way to the pool.

There are definitely some options. It all would have depended on where you're staying.

I'm staying at the Hotel Nine Zero. We wound up going to Terramia in the North End. Good stuff, but I realized along the way that BC was playing in the semis tonight in the Frozen Four. Terramia was great, but with the entertainment factor thrown in, I'd have rather had a hot dog or two at the Fleet Center tonight.

By the way -- went to the Bruins' game against the Habs last night. What a game! I can't believe that the game didn't sell out though. There were tons of tickets available on Ticketmaster yesterday morning. 893whatthe.gif

It's not really a surprise. There are a lot of EX-Bruins fans in town. I'm one of them. Their penny-pinching ways drained the life out of fandom around here in a big way. People basically felt betrayed. I used to go to games all the time at the Garden. I haven't even stepped foot inside the Fleet Center for a hockey game. There used to be a lot of passionate fans around here and now it's just gone...