• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a perfect ASM #5 on comiclink

17 posts in this topic

Thanks Gman I don't need to even bother checking Comiclink anymore...or heck even my email....I can just go to the Boards and see everything on Comiclink worth looking at through your posts.

Eric

Thanks Gman I don't need to even bother checking Comiclink anymore...or heck even my email....I can just go to the Boards and see everything on Comiclink worth looking at through your posts.

Eric

Welcome! thumbsup2.gif I do what I can to help inform those board members like yourself who are not in the know.

It will certainly sell, but it's tough to price a book like this.

The sale history of the Mass #5 9.6 is interesting:

Original sale June 02- about 30K (26,800 plus BP)

Heritage sale Dec 02- 20,700

Heritage sale Nov 03- 18,400

Quite a spread, I don't see the current offering going for less.

The real question is.....if you had the cash to burn, would you rather buy this book or Bob's FF # 5 (CGC 9.2 with White pages) for $20,000?

I think I'd snuggle up to Bob and get the FF 5.

While I understand your logic (and I agree with it), it's very easy to get into the "what would you rather have game" when comparing different grades.

For example, would you rather have Bob's FF #5 in CGC 9.2 or

FF #4 in CGC 8.0

FF #5 in CGC 8.0

JIM #83 in CGC 8.0

TOS #39 in CGC 8.0

X-Men #1 in CGC 8.0

and probably have some change left over.

While I'm a high-grade collector, I do not OVERSPEND on large dollar books to move up one or two increments. I showed the example of Heritage's two X-Men #1.

One in CGC 8.0 goes for around $4,400 (my pick-up) and one in CGC 8.5 (regardless of the fact that it seemed slightly overgraded) went for over $8,000.

I can understand the "HAVE TO HAVE THE BEST" mentaility, but if the book isn't the best, I still haven't figured out why the spread is so great between say a NM- and NM on large dollar books. Obviously if you talking about paying $50 for NM- and $100 for a NM, the actual dollar amount is not as great, so buying the NM doesn't seem to be OVERSPENDING (per se).

asm #13

893whatthe.gif

You know gman, that's a pretty nice book, certainly a lot nicer than my #13, but it's a perfect example of the minute differences in these high grade books.

This book (Northland #13) sold in the Heritage Dec 2002 auction for $5520. At that time it was a certified 9.4 with ow/w pages. Now, it's a 9.6 with white pages, as the seller states in the listing description.

I'm not suggesting cgc was either right or wrong on any particular occassion grading this book. Just goes to show that differences between 9.6/9.4 and page quality ow/w and white, for that matter, is very small. I think this will eventually dampen the large price increases (oftentimes doubled as in this case) between 9.4's and 9.6's, even on pre-1965 Spidey's.

Just my opinion. But still a great looking copy.

Do you think it was pressed??

asm #13

893whatthe.gif

You know gman, that's a pretty nice book, certainly a lot nicer than my #13, but it's a perfect example of the minute differences in these high grade books.

This book (Northland #13) sold in the Heritage Dec 2002 auction for $5520. At that time it was a certified 9.4 with ow/w pages. Now, it's a 9.6 with white pages, as the seller states in the listing description.

I'm not suggesting cgc was either right or wrong on any particular occassion grading this book. Just goes to show that differences between 9.6/9.4 and page quality ow/w and white, for that matter, is very small. I think this will eventually dampen the large price increases (oftentimes doubled as in this case) between 9.4's and 9.6's, even on pre-1965 Spidey's.

Just my opinion. But still a great looking copy.

Look closely at the corners. It doesn't look like it. It just got a higher grade on the resubmit. Maybe it's a borderline copy, because it doesn't look any different now than it did then.

Do you think it was pressed??

Look closely at the corners. It doesn't look like it. It just got a higher grade on the resubmit. Maybe it's a borderline copy, because it doesn't look any different now than it did then

Looks like a 9.6 to me, even in the huge Heritage scan. Another book Italian-Treasure left a bunch of money on the table for, much like the 9.6 copy of #1! 893whatthe.gif