• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an Ebay dealer making a BOLD statement about CGC

44 posts in this topic

Geeze Deathlok! You went right to the issue and posted the picture. I feel so freakin' stupid!

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif

you still my dogg thumbsup2.gif. (except rickdogg, who's also my dogg.) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey! You owe me some bones, man. I'm STARVIN' here!

PS - would like some nice Fine pre-code horror bones if you please! thumbsup2.gif

Geeze Deathlok! You went right to the issue and posted the picture. I feel so freakin' stupid!

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif

you still my dogg thumbsup2.gif. (except rickdogg, who's also my dogg.) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey! You owe me some bones, man. I'm STARVIN' here!

PS - would like some nice Fine pre-code horror bones if you please! thumbsup2.gif

Sorry - the cupboard is bare confused-smiley-013.gif

The statement is no more surprising than others coming from habitually overgrading sellers who were treated to a rude awakening when they started thinking their way of grading was the norm insane.gif

As for the book, is that silverfish bites all up and down the top right edge?

Although he doesn't respond very quickly or in a timely manner, I sure do love to read his stories. Like the road trip in the rain with the flat tire. ROFLMAO!!

Some of my books would be nice too, but keep the stories comin.

Check out this guy's item description. I was even wondering if it was slander. Totally outrageous. blush.gif893naughty-thumb.gif -----Sid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32739&item=2236167702&rd=1

893frustrated.gif

Your friendly neighborhood Comic Book Attorney checking in...

A claim of defamation (injury to a person's reputation) may take two forms: (1) Slander, which is spoken defamation; and (2) Libel, which is written defamation. In this case, the claim by CGC (were CGC so inclined to actually sue this poor fool) would be a claim of libel, not slander. To state an actionable case, CGC would have to prove, among other things, actual damages in order to recover. Truth is always a defense to a claim of defamation. Personal opinions about truthful statements are not defamation.

The sellers ad says: "Amazing Spiderman 1 original 1963 unrestored CGC 3.0 with off white pages. Is actually a 4.0 but I am not a large dealer so CGC grades my comics stricter then they do their big dollar customers. There are numberous CGC comics on Ebay rate now like Det 31 CGC 5.0 that aren't as nice as this comic but were awareded higher grades. I never liked them but only had the comic CGC graded to make it easier to sell. "

Is it actually a 4.0? Purely a matter of personal opinion.

Does CGC grade his comics "stricter"? Who knows. This is not presented as a fact in the ad, but rather is stated as a personal opinion.

Does CGC grade easier for the large dealers? The seller only infers this idea (he only claims his books are graded "stricter" because he's not a "big dollar" customer), and its a matter of opinion.

Is the Tec 31 CGC 5.0 worse than this book? A matter of personal opinion.

Will this ad damage CGC? Ha, like CGC hasn't heard this before. CGC is backed up by weeks -- they're not hurting for business and won't be any time soon.

All in all, not an actionable claim of libel.

You are now returned to your regularly scheduled banter...