• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did this happen?

11 posts in this topic

Are Schomburg covers for non-Timelys just not desirable anymore?

I don't think it is a matter of non-Timely covers as much as it is the Jungle genre as opposed to the Schomburg Sci-Fi etc non-Timely covers. I spent a couple of years collecting lots of the GA jungle genre and always found I could get really good discounts, moreso than I could on the Sci-Fi type books. But evenm so, the Schomburg covers are always in demand. But regardless, that price for a CGC 9.2? Don't wonder why. Just thank the powers that be. It is a VERY sweet deal!

(hey - maybe it was just an off-week for ebay Schomburg buyers?) I would have expected that book to make more.

There have been a lot of the Xela Jungle covers on the market recently. That seller has sold a bunch (I got one smile.gif ), nedorman has sold a bunch. Maybe people are just hungover from all the great opportunities.

Maybe people are just hungover from all the great opportunities.

That is a distinct possibility. Still - a nice acquistion. grin.gif

No doubt, I wish I could grab some of the Exciting Xela covers for those sort of prices cloud9.gif

No doubt, I wish I could grab some of the Exciting Xela covers for those sort of prices

You know, I was going to mention the Excitings as a nice Xela Sci_Fi title, but decided on brevity. But yah - I had several of them and then sold them during my next-to-last insane "I am done with comics" sale. Geezez - my shoulders torque at the memories of those books.

The best selling covers are the Wonder Comics and Startling Comics sci-fi issues, followed by Exciting Comics. My 9.4 copies only sold for 2.1 times guide, so a 9.2 on these are worth about 1 to 1.25 guide. Considering the new guide is coming out this month you did well!

Timely

I think the price was good but not an unbelievable bargain:

Reasons:

1) As stated before, Schomberg Jungle covers really aren't nearly as exciting as his Sci-Fi (and off-course) Timely covers.

2) Book has a date stamp right in the middle. While I buy GA books with date stamps, since these books are most popular BECAUSE of the COVER, a date stamp in the middle takes something away (in my opinion).

3) Case has a small crack. To me, no biggy. But I can say, time and again, I have gotten some of my best deals when the seller has noted a crack or chip in the case.

4) Lastly, as stated before, it just seems like these books are all over the place. Heritage usually has a few, and almost every auction has several of the Sci-Fi cover (which are more popular).

Still a cool book to have!