• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official ongoing Captain America Discussion thread

15 posts in this topic

A new "Captain America & Bucky" title

A new solo "Captain America" series

The movie coming out

Fear Itself possibly killing Bucky??

Lots of stuff to discuss.

First off:

Is Marvel going to "kill" Bucky? I really hope not with all the work that went into bringing him back, developing his new character and putting him onto the road of redemption. Does Bucky NEED to die for Steve Rogers to become Cap again? I hope it doesn't come to that.

An article from newsarama certainly makes it look like Bucky's in trouble:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-comics-quarterly-deaths-110504.html

I think the Winter Soldier character has been one of the best by Marvels house of ideas in a long time.

I wouldnt mind seeing Chrome Cap gone (even though the costume has grown on me) but PLEASE keep Winter Soldier.

I think the Winter Soldier character has been one of the best by Marvels house of ideas in a long time.

I wouldnt mind seeing Chrome Cap gone (even though the costume has grown on me) but PLEASE keep Winter Soldier.

I was one thinking that its insanity to bring Bucky back...thinking it was another one of Marvels cheesy pattern of resurrecting characters ala Gwen Stacy.

Boy was I wrong! Winter Soldier has probably been the best supporting character in the Cap Universe....since Falcon.

But the whole concept (and name) "Winter Soldier" is locked in with his Soviet assassin persona. Will the Winter Soldier have the same impact as a Cap partner? hm

If they do kill off Bucky, it will only be temporary. It would only be a matter of time before he returned and having a small break from the character might be a good thing at this point to refresh him.

I've always thought that resurrections are cheesy but I was one of those who thoroughly enjoyed the way it was handled. I'm sure that many people besides me thought that it would end up being a clone/robot/doppelgänger of the real Bucky in the end like all the previous occasions but it was great to get caught up in the storyline as it came out.

He's obviously not going to be Cap for the long run and the Winter Soldier identity doesn't really fit now so I'm guessing that a new ID will be in the future.

He's obviously not going to be Cap for the long run and the Winter Soldier identity doesn't really fit now so I'm guessing that a new ID will be in the future.

+1

The name "Winter Soldier" is just cool though. :headbang:

Just read Captain America #2 - I'm done. I'll pick up the next issue of Cap & Bucky, but I'm not sure for how long after that.

Brubaker's latest Criminal storyline is top-notch, and it's clear where his real interest is. His Cap books come across as just collecting a paycheck anymore.

Just read Captain America #2 - I'm done. I'll pick up the next issue of Cap & Bucky, but I'm not sure for how long after that.

Brubaker's latest Criminal storyline is top-notch, and it's clear where his real interest is. His Cap books come across as just collecting a paycheck anymore.

Agreed. IMO, he ran out of juice after Reborn. I think others would say it was before that, but I enjoyed it up through Reborn.

I did try the latest Cap #1. Didn't care for it. I'm done with Cap and I think Brubaker is as well. But he's still writing it.

I was getting bored with the title earlier - and then got interested again with the Bucky in the Russian prison story arc, what with the three separate storylines done with different artists, but that kind of fizzed out at the end, and now it just feels like a generic superhero book.

CA & Bucky at least takes us back to the Golden Age - and I'm a bit of a sucker for reinventions of that era, though I was disappointed with Brubaker's Marvels Project.

The Winter soldier ( Captain America issues 1-32 ) is argueably one of the best stories I have ever read. I loved it. I couldn't put the stuff down once I started to read it. Now, it has become somewhat average to me. I still read it, but I find other books creep in there and interupt it, that didn't happen before.

yup cap is not as good as it use to be ... honestly I'd like to see more focus on steve again than on buck ....

I get more of a rogers kick in secret avengers than i do a cap book.... Part of what made the original run so great was ed focused so much on steve him self & made it less about captain america and more about the man behind the mask. I don't mind things like the nomad stuff at the end of the book but that is just because I enjoy the character

I don't know about all that, but I am interested in whether there is a variant to Col. 5 No. 1 or if there was only that particular issue. I think most people who watched the film had a pretty good idea that Bucky was coming back as the Winter Soldier.