• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting comics in the UK

84 posts in this topic

...sorry pressed the wrong button

lovely to see the UK guys in our very own thread

I'm from Leeds originally - but now living 20 miles outside London in surburban bliss

My thoughts on UK collecting: inconsistent and not as good as it was in the late eighties - I still have golden memories of the UKCAC's and the very active fan press then: Speakeasy, Arkensword, After Image, Fantasy Advertiser... famous names and all for less than your bus fare home.

All we have now is Comics International - which is dated and full of the same old tedium and whinging rambling...

The London Marts are very variable - the last one at Bidborough street was the worst I've been to... seemed half-empty and the stock lacked any great interest - but saying that the National's are usually great. I haven't met many of the dealers represented here - but I think there needs to be some trail blazers. I wonder though how many make any money... is it a good living?

I only buy very sporadically now - my interests are Charlton's, Ditko and basically anything obscure. But paradoxically the only new comics I read now are Marvels...

I was out of the scene for ten years and only came back when I sold 90% of my collection to... our friend at... Silveracre... that (generous, on my behalf) act of selling everything rekindled the interest... and now I'm armed with a 'good' salary and it's fun away from the daily grind.

Anyway, just been to New York for the first time... here's my observations...