• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting comics in the UK

84 posts in this topic

Any of you going to the National con in London on the 2nd of May?

Is this a comic convention? If so, would like to know more.

http://www.strictlyink.net/comicmart2/National/national.html

and if you go to the photo gallery link on the left you can see our own goldust40.

and if you go to the photo gallery link on the left you can see our own goldust40.

Is he the one in the middle playing pocket pool 893whatthe.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

Goldust.jpg

Is he the one in the middle playing pocket pool 893whatthe.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

Goldust.jpg

Trust YOU to come up with something as lewd, lascivious and innuendo - ridden as that!!

And yes I was playing "pocket pool". 27_laughing.gif

Goldust.jpg

Trust YOU to come up with something as lewd, lascivious and innuendo - ridden as that!!

And yes I was playing "pocket pool". 27_laughing.gif

Hey.... "a dirty mind is a joy forever" one of your lads once said.... acclaim.gif

You going goldust?

Sadly i cannot attend 893frustrated.gif

Annoyingly I'm gonna miss the next Royal National show as ironically I'll be in Pittsburgh for the convention there (the Royal National is a great show and is worth attending, so I'm pis.sed off that I'm missing it).

I'll be at the Royal National show on June 6th, though.

Your going to Burgh 893whatthe.gif is it worth it??? as a buyer I'm guessing 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I only go to the Burgh (Burg?) as no other U.K. dealers bother with it, and it's better than the Megacon and Charlotte (the Heroes Con). San Diego is much more worth it for buying, but it's bloody expensive to get to.

I've had a couple of dud Burg shows, and I'm not sure about this one (Harley Yee for example, who attends every U.S. show won't be there, and neither will CGC).

I may go to one of those NY bimonthly shows that Carbonaro does if this one doesn't cut it. Or Detroit (although a certain Chester dealer goes to those!).

I know that Dave Finn used to take his family with him for a holiday that would include a Con, but I've only done that once (an NYC show about 5 years ago, with the missus)

The Burg is purely business. There's nowt there for the family. If you're gonna go with the family, I'd opt for SD as it's a great place to visit, but it is expensive. Or possibly WonderCon in SF (my fave U.S. city) as that's during low season. NYC is obviously great (take loadsa money, as I'm sure your wife'll want to shop as well) but decent hotels in Manhattan are all $130 a night and up. Plus tax.

Putting together a wants list for this event and wanted to ask about buying trends here in the UK - what sells well, whats undervalued? Will primarily be looking for high grade bronze horror books, are they likely to be present in any number at the marketplace?

Putting together a wants list for this event and wanted to ask about buying trends here in the UK - what sells well, whats undervalued? Will primarily be looking for high grade bronze horror books, are they likely to be present in any number at the marketplace?

The U.K. market is very much focussed on Silver and Bronze Age Marvel, high grade especially. DCs do well, although Bronze does better than Silver with this publisher. Having said that, true HG always sells, regardless.

You're likely to find some HG Bronze Age horror, but very little of it will be CGC'd.

But as long as you can grade, the raw stuff will be worth checking out.

It depends on which GA books. Timelys (superhero) always sell for above guide in nearly all grades, although you don't see too many of them at U.K. shows - in any case they usually go for above guide on ebay in average condition.

If it's obscure funny animal/romance/war/western books, you may see a few at reasonable prices, but this does depend on the dealer in question.

You'd think that as turnover on GA books in mid grades is moderate at U.K. shows, that prices would be at guide - however historically they go for above, due to their scarcity in this country. Again it depends on the book - superhero GA books that have war-related covers are easier to sell and in higher demand. Generally though, you'll find some of those non-key VG/FN late 40s books at guide if you look hard enough.

But not that many. A lot of those books tend to stick.