• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Who knows what the market will do.

Its a classic cover (swipe) and its Neal Adams, but its not a key in terms of a character appearance or event.

Now I've dwindled my Batman collection down to the "keys" I am actually wondering if I should bother pursuing this book at all.

Look for these variants to SKYROCKET!!! not by percent but by exponentially!!!

There are extremely rare and demand is 10 times the supply...

notice how there is literally only one Australian version on the boards. EVERY Aussie dealer is looking for them with no luck as the majority they suspect were trashed as they preferred the original. Scarcity trumps originality in this special case...

I disagree about them being that scarce. I guarantee there's plenty of copies out there in boxes of drek that no one has gone through in years because as far as they knew no one would ever want these books.

I wasn't talking about the foreign variants just the standard issue.

The original issue looks like it is stalling in increased value probably because of a saturated market just like the ASM#129....

You can buy like 25-40 copies any given day, any given grade, and given amount...

too much supply = decreased demand = price drop or slow incline...

Hell, I would now pay more for the Australian even triple than over a diluted american market version....

This is true, I collect bats golden and silver. When my funds run dry I start buying bronze bats in bulk. Usually whatever issue I want. There's just too many of them but they do see little increases here and there.

Depends on the grade.

I spent 2 years trying to put a run of Batman in 9.8 from this era, they are not as "easy" to find as you think.

In other grades, yes 10 a penny.

I personally don't see there being "enough" interest in foreign variants to really get the big numbers. They are cool and I went after them myself because I am an OCD completionist.

But to say an Aussie #227 will garner the same price as a 9.8 #227 (currently $6,000 ??), I don't see it.

Edited by Bane

This is true, I collect bats golden and silver. When my funds run dry I start buying bronze bats in bulk. Usually whatever issue I want. There's just too many of them but they do see little increases here and there.

Depends on the grade.

I spent 2 years trying to put a run of Batman in 9.8 from this era, they are not as "easy" to find as you think.

In other grades, yes 10 a penny.

I personally don't see there being "enough" interest in foreign variants to really get the big numbers. They are cool and I went after them myself because I am an OCD completionist.

But to say an Aussie #227 will garner the same price as a 9.8 #227 (currently $6,000 ??), I don't see it.

No one ever said a 9.8 Aussie would ever get that price..

Thats a one of a kind premium price you speak of just liek someone paid $5500 for a 9.8 ASM129...There are are 58 copies of a 9.8 ASM129 highest grade so those are premiums,,,,

but on the flipside, there are ZERO Aussies CGC'ed which shows the insane rarity let alone good luck finding one in above 7.0 grade,,,,

With lots of money you can buy the highest grade of ANY book,

Well that's because you want the 9.8s I only go for 8.5 & up I think I only own 1 9.8. For silver bats I do 7.5 & up for golden I do 5.0 & up depending on the book.

While almost every BA book is common in 8.0 - 9.0, how often do 9.2-9.6 copies of Bats #217, 222, 227, 243 or 245 and Tec #395, 397, 402, 405, or 411 show up? I think you will be surprised at how tough some of the Adams books are to find in high grade (which for BA books starts at NM-/9.2).

One problem with Batman 227 is that if and when the market ever softens, negative spiral downward can start. Or if supply inches upwards with a softening of price, that can really hurt too. While all key and semi key Batmans will have pretty decent demand to support them, it's been argued that 227 is not necessarily an ubber key. Price justifies the classic cover and the cover justifies the price for a virtuous cycle until it stops.

Unlike a Spiderman 129 or a GS Xmen 1, which are true keys for obvious reasons.

And for whatever reason artists have never held up as a huge driver of books compared to 1st appearances. However, key artists tend to create classic covers and often first appearances too so that can get intermingled.

That's not true. I own the two highest known grade copies of a book and they're simply not for sale regardless of what someone offers. :baiting:

yeah but like you say tim, its just a matter of time before another at same grade will pop out CGCed right?????

there are 58 copies of the highest graded ASM129...

and EVERYTHING is for sell except the Mona Lisa...

maybe not yours but another at same grade will pop out with patience just like you say of the aussies and thats proving true

That's not true. I own the two highest known grade copies of a book and they're simply not for sale regardless of what someone offers. :baiting:

yeah but like you say tim, its just a matter of time before another at same grade will pop out CGCed right?????

maybe not yours but another at same grade will pop out with patience just like you say of the aussies and thats proving true

It's doubtful with the books I'm talking about, climate and storage conditions are way worse where they're from. It's possible but highly unlikely.

It's doubtful with the books I'm talking about, climate and storage conditions are way worse where they're from. It's possible but highly unlikely.

wait are we talking foreigns or domestic.. if foreigns than they coiuld be one of kinds but low in value therefore less desirability versus high grade 227s or 129s,,,

yeah i agree with you...

Honestly the Adams books you can still get 9.2-9.6. They are a lot more common than the golden age low grades. Every month there's a nice 227 for sale in the big auctions. Example one coming up in comiclink. Then there's eBay as well. My main focus is golden age. I completed my Adams sets. All I do now is upgrade them to high 9s. I have like 3-4 to go. Maybe because I collect GA I feel they are common? I sometimes wait 2 years before finding a GA mid grade copy of some techs. All I have to do is wait a max of 6 months for a high grade Adams bat/tech.

Honestly the Adams books you can still get 9.2-9.6. They are a lot more common than the golden age low grades. Every month there's a nice 227 for sale in the big auctions. Example one coming up in comiclink. Then there's eBay as well. My main focus is golden age. I completed my Adams sets. All I do now is upgrade them to high 9s. I have like 3-4 to go. Maybe because I collect GA I feel they are common? I sometimes wait 2 years before finding a GA mid grade copy of some techs. All I have to do is wait a max of 6 months for a high grade Adams bat/tech.
\

\

you havce a low grade 227 you might want to sell?

In case anyone is interested, there's a really nice 9.6 over at eBay. Presents really well too. At least good enough for me :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-227-CGC-96-oww-Neal-Adams-cover-/300880659212

'Course, it probably belongs to one of you guys.

That is a beautiful copy. :cloud9:

Outside of the rare Gerber books, low to mid grade GA is common as well. You just have to be willing to pay the going price for it. Sure, some of the early issues are tougher to find, but so are some of the Adams Batmans and Tecs in 9.2 and above. The only difference is that the high grade Adams books will cost a few hundred to a couple grand, rather than a few thousand to $10K+ per book in the case of some pre-Robin Tecs in low to mid grade.