• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Signature Auction Results, Astonishments, Shocks, Disappointments, etc.

417 posts in this topic

Likely Todd Hignite from Heritage fielding phone bids

That's probably right. A major auction house would never openly use a bidder's name... they protect bidders anonymity pretty seriously (Di Caprio, for instance attended the Christies art auction yesterday in NY). This particular auction was run like a first rate operation. Didn't go today but went to the illustration art auction yesterday and it was impressive.

Smaller, family run auction houses are sometimes more lax.

It was my first time attending a live comic book auction, and I was very impressed with the efficiency and precision with which the process was managed by Heritage. Since Heritage doesn't run the Internet, and companies even the size of Amazon can experience major outages, it's probably not their fault when someone experiences a bit of lag or a temporary freeze when attempting to place bids using the Live Bidding function.

Here are some pix from my crappy phone-camera.

The Big City from Jersey:

intoNYC.jpg

The auction venue was the Fletcher-Sinclair mansion on the upper East Side, right on Central Park and amongst some of the highest priced real estate in the world.

On the way, the Trump Towers Time Warner Towers:

Trumptowers.jpg

The comics were sold as part of a much larger NY auction of art and jewelry:

mansionsign.jpg

The mansion for real:

realmansion.jpg

Across the street was Central Park:

centralpark.jpg

Board members Foolkiller and Dem1138 entering the premises:

frontdoor.jpg

Also spotted were fellow board members Dmac, and a free and easy Mark Haspel. The auction attendance was sparse, with most of the intense bidding coming via telephone and the live proxy internet.

Heritage had enormous man/woman-power to run the operation. Multiple staff members were devoted to handling the bidder registration, the phones, the internet, the auction room, and the checkout process. All pictured up front were Heritage employees working the auction room:

Heritageteam.jpg

Other random observations.

Three members of Gary Dahlberg's family were in attendance, sitting in the row just in front of us. It must have been both bittersweet and rewarding when, after the TOS39 was sold, the collection topped the $1 million sales mark. It seemed they were pleasantly surprised at the strength of the prices realized, particularly at the beginning of the auction when the Spidey's fetched very strong final bids. It's a tremendous gift that Mr. Dahlberg left for his immediate family, and the family seemed appreciative and moved by the experience.

Scans are insufficient to judge the quality of the paper preservation of the comics, and the Dahlberg collection is superb in that regard. More on the collection after tomorrow's part of the auction.

As aggressive as many of the prices were on the Twin Cities books, there were a few excellent bargains. The Avengers #9 in 9.4 sold for $3,100, a price more appropriate for a 9.2 non-pedigree copy. The FF #16 had amazing cover colors, perfect registration, a solid 9.4 grade, and sold for $3000. There were other bargains among the jaw droppers.

intoNYC.jpg

I love this view of the city.

:cloud9:

I was going to try to make it to the auction but have been doing a lot of traveling over the last two months and decided to just bid from home. Looks like a great experience though.

The auction was held in a small portion of the first two floors of the mansion:

fauxmansion.jpg

Andy Warhol's crib ? I woke up with a hangover there one morning and couldn't remember how I got there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It was my first time attending a live comic book auction, and I was very impressed with the efficiency and precision with which the process was managed by Heritage. Since Heritage doesn't run the Internet, and companies even the size of Amazon can experience major outages, it's probably not their fault when someone experiences a bit of lag or a temporary freeze when attempting to place bids using the Live Proxy function.

Here are some pix from my crappy phone-camera.

intoNYC.jpg

The auction venue was the Fletcher-Sinclair mansion on the upper East Side, right on Central Park and amongst some of the highest priced real estate in the world.

On the way, the Trump Towers:

Trumptowers.jpg

The comics were sold as part of a much larger NY auction of art and jewelry:

mansionsign.jpg

That's pretty much my assessment as well. Wanted to go today but got a bit bogged down at work. The building with the two towers by the way is the Time Warner Center (not Trump Towers). It's a fabulous building to stop by if you're ever touring the city. CNN studios are in the south tower.

That's pretty much my assessment as well. Wanted to go today but got a bit bogged down at work. The building with the two towers by the way is the Time Warner Center (not Trump Towers). It's a fabulous building to stop by if you're ever touring the city. CNN studios are in the south tower.

Thanks for the correction. Trump's name is on the front, but perhaps of a building in front of those towers.

I am awestruck. I figured $200K tops.

That is the highest price paid for a piece of OA isn't it?

The Bats #11 and Supes #14 covers didn't even touch that in their reserve auctions, didn't they?

I'm betting those covers will now sell a little easier.

Wow.

The Supes 14 topped out at just over $400k in the bidding (the fact that it didn't meet reserve limits the significance, of course). The Bat 11 cover sold in 2005 for $195k or so.

I think this result stuns me more than any of the million+ dollar Action 1, Tec 27, AF 15 results. An interior page from 1986! Stunning doesn't cover it.

The Bats #11 and Supes #14 covers didn't even touch that in their reserve auctions, didn't they?

Wow.

The Supes 14 topped out at just over $400k in the bidding (the fact that it didn't meet reserve limits the significance, of course). The Bat 11 cover sold in 2005 for $195k or so.

I think this result stuns me more than any of the million+ dollar Action 1, Tec 27, AF 15 results. An interior page from 1986! Stunning doesn't cover it.

Ah, my mistake on the Supes page as i didn't follow it.

Agreed. almost $0.5MIL for a modern page.

Just incredible trying to comprehend it.

So is this the highest price every paid for a piece of original art to date?

Krazy Kat was on the money...this seems to be just the tip of the iceberg.

Wow.

Ah, my mistake on the Supes page as i didn't follow it.

Agreed. almost $0.5MIL for a modern page.

Just incredible trying to comprehend it.

So is this the highest price every paid for a piece of original art to date?

Sweet LORD!!!

Why not just chant "Candyman" three times into a mirror at midnight?? :frustrated:

I am awestruck. I figured $200K tops.That is the highest price paid for a piece of OA isn't it?The Bats #11 and Supes #14 covers didn't even touch that in their reserve auctions, didn't they?I'm betting those covers will now sell a little easier.Wow.
The Supes 14 topped out at just over $400k in the bidding (the fact that it didn't meet reserve limits the significance, of course).  The Bat 11 cover sold in 2005 for $195k or so.I think this result stuns me more than any of the million+ dollar Action 1, Tec 27, AF 15 results. An interior page from 1986!  Stunning doesn't cover it. 
Ah, my mistake on the Supes page as i didn't follow it.Agreed. almost $0.5MIL for a modern page.Just incredible trying to comprehend it. So is this the highest price every paid for a piece of original art to date?Krazy Kat was on the money...this seems to be just the tip of the iceberg. 

:gossip: Krazy Kat was the winning bidder. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sweet LORD!!!

Why not just chant "Candyman" three times into a mirror at midnight?? :frustrated:

lol

He was right about precious metals and he was right about original art. Bang on, actually.

(thumbs u

Sweet LORD!!!

lol

He was right about precious metals and he was right about original art. Bang on, actually.

(thumbs u

Not one specific date and not one personal "skin in the game" action taken toward those claims.

That's like saying, sometime in the future, some random commodity will be worth more than it is today....at a certain point, you'll be right...everyone would be.

The only thing I have ever seen him do is create shill accounts and renege on an Ebay art auction.

Thrilled with my one and only win.....I better be, it's going to be my only win for quite a while. :eek:

lf-1.jpg

You're wild about that book, Andy. Now the Church! Congrats, pal.

That is a really cool book! CONGRATS! :headbang:

That's definitely a wow book... amazing! congrats Andy. Small amount of CT on cover only, I don't know much about it. Is that possible to remove without lowering the grade any?