• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

recent Heritage auction

64 posts in this topic

I based those grades on the email that I received from Tom about W Pa books he owns, which was 2002. I guess he was mistaken or the book was regraded and lost .2. happens.

Some people experience legends first hand and are only not verifiable to those that haven't been a part of it.

Alot of the books were sold to collectors who either don't care to have them slabbed or don't know they have been pedigreed.

I only found out that they had been pedigreed by CGC when I saw a few books with the notation Western Penn. I then resubbed the books I had slabbed to include the pedigree on the label.

I'm not a Marvel collector and the person that discovered the colllection didn't collect DC's so it was a perfect match. I saw them, held them, including a NM AF 15, and wasn't all that impressed. Only because Marvel will always be behind DC in collectability for me. I passed on all of the Marvels when he decided to sell the books. Sparkle City bought many of them and I guess they filtered down to Brulato. Check out the DC's that have images readilly available on line or ask TTH about their structure and page quality.

I helped sell most of the DC's and miscellaneous Marvels that I either couldn't afford or had no interest in at the time and had complete runs of Hawkman, Metal Men, Doom Patrol, Sea Devils and others in my possession when I helped sell the books thru CBG. I also saw the All Flash 1 (Double Cover), Comic Calvacade 1, and Bulletman 1 from the collection. But of course that is only legend!

Best, Tom

I appreciate the backstory on this pedigree. It sounds like a fantastic collection, and it's clear the early DCs from it are special. Unfortunately, it IS still urban legend concerning the broad quality of the earliest SA Marvels from the collection, which is the issue to which I was referring in my earlier post.

The only point I'm making is this: without scans or third party grading or a post from Tommy B himself comparing the earliest Marvels with all the other pedigree copies he's owned and seen, it simply isn't possible to compare the early SA Marvel component of the collection with all the other top SA pedigrees.

Just talked to Tom B. " The Western Penn Pedigree is as nice as any pedigree"

TTA 35, 36, 37 9.6, 38, 39, 45 & 47 9.8 as well as a bunch in the 50's and 60's. The 70 is a 9.8 and the 76 is an unpressed 9.9.

ST 101 9.6, 104 9.4, 106, 107, 108 9.8 with White pages. 110 9.6 114 9.8 and a bunch more 9.6's and 9.8's up to 134. His words not mine. The 115 is a 9.6 but he thinks it will grade 9.8.

The TOS are not as nice as the PC TOS that Doug owns. But I know for a fact that the founder of the collection held back the 39-45 doubles that may or may not be in the marketplace. Doug does own the TOS 40 which is a 9.6.

All the other Marvels were there when I saw them so I can only assume that they would be just as nice.

Best, Tom