• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check this out.... Do I hear the twilight zone music or what

21 posts in this topic

He criticizes the original owner for not bagging the comics but hasn't bag/boarded them himself.....

Jim

I imagine this is a photo from the time of purchase or shortly thereafter. It may even be the house of the previous owner. If it were me, I wouldn't bag and board them until I was grading and cataloging them, and that could take a couple weeks.

What I find amusing are the number of people who insist on bidding on this item, even though the description clearly states it is NOT an auction, some of them a second time, after there first bid was retracted.

What I find amusing are the number of people who insist on bidding on this item, even though the description clearly states it is NOT an auction, some of them a second time, after there first bid was retracted.

Well, if it's not an auction, then what's it doing on EBay? I assume these bidders are just poking fun, as the auction breaks about 20 EBay regulations. grin.gif

P.S. I wonder how badly the original owner got taken? 27_laughing.gif

what makes this worse, he probably paid the old guy half the price of that Giant Sized X-Men #1 for the whole lot.

Honestly, I'm just talking smack cause I'm jealous....I never run across deals like this. "Here you go sonny, I'm old and I'm moving to the retirement home and these gold bars I have are just to heavy to carry...you can have them for free"

damn. damn. damn. damn.

Impressed with this, not really. I've seen these kind of collections once to many times over the years. To bad the books are not protected in any way. Bags, boxes, anything. But there sure must be some that are in great shape anyway. Its atuff like this that make me think not all the high grade stuff has been slabbed.

Well, if it's not an auction, then what's it doing on EBay? I assume these bidders are just poking fun, as the auction breaks about 20 EBay regulations. grin.gif

P.S. I wonder how badly the original owner got taken? 27_laughing.gif

I ran into this "auction" yesterday and there is a link somewhere on this "auction" that will put you through to the comics he is presently auctioning off from this collection. He's using this "auction" simply to bring attention to the comics as a whole and thereby (hopefully) bringing added attention. Seem to remember him mentioning as well he will only be auctioning off about 100 at a time. grin.gif

Is it just me or is eBay slipping downhill at a fairly rapid pace? It seems if you are doing legit biz on eBay things are getting more and more hosed...but hey, auction off a country or use an "auction" to showcase your latest "find" and everything is cool.

...bah, maybe it is just me. 893frustrated.gif

Is it just me or is eBay slipping downhill at a fairly rapid pace? It seems if you are doing legit biz on eBay things are getting more and more hosed...but hey, auction off a country or use an "auction" to showcase your latest "find" and everything is cool.

...bah, maybe it is just me.

It is definitely not just you. In my opinion eBay is slipping very rapidly. When I started listing on eBay a year ago they claimed that something like 99.9% of transactions are legit and only the remaining 0.1% are fraudulent (I think thats the number they claimed.. its been a year I could be remembering wrong) Nowadays, anytime I list an auction of any value I know I can expect anywhere from 3 to 5 fraudulent copycat auctions and 1 to 2 people who will E-mail my winning bidder list with some sort of scam. I would actually go as far as to say I wouldn't be surprised if 1 out of every 3 auctions for any comic book lot of $5,000 or more on eBay are fraudulent in some way.. After 6 years their customer service continues to be poor to non-existant, Safe Harbor in my opinion continues to be a joke (if Safe Harbor even exists.. sometimes I wonder if Safe Harbor is just one part-time high school student sending automated messages and just signing a different name at the end each time)

Meanwhile their fees continue to go up without offering any additional services. Those fees seem to end up going to rather pointless things like those eBay with those stupid commercials, and promotions like penny gallery days. Occasionally they will make a slight change on their website that does not seem to affect anything in any way so that they can say they are constantly making improvements.

To me, this most recent change to their site was the last straw. There is practically no point to featuring an auction anymore.. Instead of featured auctions appearing at the front of the comics section when they are listed, now they start all the way at the very back unless you search a different way.. Since eBay changed their site around the number of times people view a featured auction has dropped like a stone. A few weeks ago when I was listing featured auctions on eBay, if I listed at a decent hour of the day it would not be uncommon for me to get 400-500 pageviews or more during my auction's first 24 hours.. Right now there are a number of featured auctions up including a giant Size X-men 1 (with the words X-men 1 and CGC in the title) that are well over a day old at this point with less than 50 page views)

Because I was curious, earlier today I took a look at all the featured comic book auctions ending for the day.. I looked at every featured comic book auction with either a starting bid of higher than $50 or with a reserve.. (in other words I looked at every featured comic book or comic book lot that might or might not sell.. if a comic starts at $0.01 with no reserve it and its valuable enough to be worth featuring, it will always sell for some price no matter how bad eBay gets) After looking at every comic book with a high starting bid or else a reserve over a 24 hour period.. not a single one looked like it was going to sell. Every single one was reserve not met or else no one had placed a bid. I know a 1 day sample size isn't much, and there's always the possibility of last second bidding on eBay.. but at the time I looked, it seemed like there was a strong possibility of 100% of all of the auctions going unsold for the entire day. eBay already brings in lower prices than places like comiclink or heritage for most books, and my own personal opinion is that most valuable comics on eBay ($1,000 or more) in the future will start reaching considerably lower prices on eBay from now on due to the new look of the site. (I don't think $5, $10, $50 books will be affected by the change though)

Anyway, sorry for ranting but sometimes it seems like eBay goes out of its way to screw its sellers... Every day it seems to get a little harder for legitimate sellers to do well on eBay.. meanwhile the scammers continue to get more creative.. At least thats my opinion.