• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guide for differences between CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.8, pictures included

71 posts in this topic

A question regarding Signature Series: How much CGC charging for modern SS per book? I thought i read it somewhere that the fee is $28 per modern but it was an old post (2010 or 2008). I posted in "Ask CGC" but seems like they closed it or decided not to reply. So anyone know how much they charge currently per book for Signature Series? Is it vary per Show or Con or Artist? Don't see the price anywhere in the official CGC grading fee or even on main page for SS site. What is the process when you submit the book to CGC during Comic Con?

1. Receive books with submission filled out

2. Try to get as many signed as possible according to submission?

3. Do they handle our books as much care as they could or just "another book to sign"?

4. How many books can we submit per submission?

Seems like i get faster answers from you all than CGC themselve. Thank you all!

A question regarding Signature Series: How much CGC charging for modern SS per book? I thought i read it somewhere that the fee is $28 per modern but it was an old post (2010 or 2008). I posted in "Ask CGC" but seems like they closed it or decided not to reply. So anyone know how much they charge currently per book for Signature Series? Is it vary per Show or Con or Artist? Don't see the price anywhere in the official CGC grading fee or even on main page for SS site. What is the process when you submit the book to CGC during Comic Con?

1. Receive books with submission filled out

2. Try to get as many signed as possible according to submission?

3. Do they handle our books as much care as they could or just "another book to sign"?

4. How many books can we submit per submission?

Seems like i get faster answers from you all than CGC themselve. Thank you all!

For books that fall under the Modern tier, CGC charges $27 pr. book (for 1 signature) - that's always the same, no matter the artist or the show. Additional signatures on the same book are, in most cases, $5 pr. extra signature.

The only exception would be those artists who have an agreement with CGC to charge a signing fee - if your book is getting signed by Tony Moore, for instance, there's an additional $5 charge pr. book (which CGC collects & then gives to the artist if CGC are the ones handling the signing).

You don't need to have the paperwork filled out prior to dropping your books off at the CGC booth, but if you're doing a submission with a ton of books, it would probably be easier if you did. CGC doesn't guarantee that they'll be able to get all the signatures that you request, but there's no question that they'll do their best to get each & every one of your books signed.

If you're worried about possible manhandling of your book whilst it is in CGC's possession, I'd suggest that you window-bag all your books prior to handing them over - in my experience, the CGC employees treat each book just like you'd treat them yourself, but there's no question that anything you can do to minimize any potential contact between your book & another set of hands is always a good idea.

back to get on topic for the op. beachbum is the king of non-employee cgc grading. no one does it better and right.

lol

Even CGC catches me trying to push a couple of borderline books through 9.8 pre-screen here and there. lol

Yeah, I could agree with that. But I see a lot more harsh grading than I do soft grading

I've had quite the opposite. I don't have scans for them anymore except for the one below, but I've had surprising grades on SA, BA and MA books.

I bet the spine wear on that particular book is being treated as production related, like the 2000-2001 Marvel gatefold books, or like the flaking is on Sandman (sometimes :frustrated:) .

That's what throws me so many times is trying to to determine what will and what won't be looked at as a "production flaw"

I wish there was a rule about what is a production flaw althought I think I've got a good handle on it most of the time. I've come up with two suggestions for a friend of mine.

1) For some quick info, have people in at least two different areas of the country so you can compare books coming out of different distribution centers. I recall talking to you about the Deadpool Team-Up 884 and one other Deadpool that had some serious creasing on the back cover that was uniform on every book I saw. I'm in the Midwest and I heard from at least one person on each coast that they were the same.

2) If worse comes to worse and time isn't an issue, wait until you see some on the census report and send an email to CGC asking about the issue and the specific errors you see.

hm An elite cadre of Deadpool collectors, banding together to review production defects on high grade comics before slabbing. I smell movie . . .

George Lucas was expressing interest in directing.

back to get on topic for the op. beachbum is the king of non-employee cgc grading. no one does it better and right.

lol

Even CGC catches me trying to push a couple of borderline books through 9.8 pre-screen here and there. lol

Shh....they are reading this. Now they are going to start looking at yours under 30x magnification instead of 5x. lol