• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have no slabbed comics...the reasons are!

60 posts in this topic

1. While I have a quite a lot of high grade "RAW" comics in my collection being based in the UK I find the effort it would take and the costs involved to send them off to CGC to be graded and slabbed off-putting (that's putting it mildly).

2. I won't buy relatively HG slabbed comics due to the "bump" in price that the comic having the CGC treatment brings.

3. There's also the "casing" issue that puts me off slightly as while "SLABS" look great I like my comics to be easily accessible.

So for me it's a combination of finances and laziness!

I wonder if there are many other members who don't have any "SLABS" in their collections???

Come on own up...

P.S I can still hang out with you guys...can't I?

They're an insurance cost against restoration and overgrading on high-cost comics. If you're not buying high-cost comics, you don't really need slabs, and if you are and you're not buying slabs, the cost "bump" you're referring to isn't really a bump, it's the actual market price people are willing to pay for books in a given condition. Raw books go cheaper because they're a risk of being overgraded or restored, neither of which are anything you usually want to fool with when dropping big dimes on books.

Once you've bought a high-cost book and your investment is more safe because of the assurance of quality afforded by the slab and you have no plans to sell anytime soon, crack it out if you wish.

I only have one in my collection and have only ever owned two. Both were bought here, but I got tired of looking at my Whiz 70 and sold it on ebay for a little profit. I'm a low/mid grade collector and since those usually arent slabbed, they usually dont interest me or fit in my collection. The only one I own is a CGC 2.0 Strange Tales Annual 2 which I bought from Snake Eyes for 1/2 OSPG. I'd buy low grade slabs at half guide all day if I could, but they rarely pop up.

:hi:

I am another no slab owner and they haven't kicked me out yet.

I don't own slabs mainly b/c I am not a high grade collector so that I am very non-grade sensitive for most of my purchases. Also, I do not chase the most slab-worthy books, i.e., I don't collect SA nor the segment of GA that gets slabbed. So, it's been more circumstances than intent. Still,

Slab Count: 0

I don't collect slabbed comics, either - I like to open them up, read them, sniff them, all that fun stuff. Same reasons as the above - I'm not a high grade collector, either.

If I wanted and could afford high-dollar comics, I'd be happy to buy slabbed for the expert opinion and restoration check - very valuable services for comics transactions. I wouldn't keep anything in a slab unless I was buying it purely for investment (and there's nothing wrong with that, if someone feels a certain comic is the best place to park a few bucks).

I don't collect slabs either, but I do buy them. You can get great deals for semi-accurately graded BA/SA stuff in the 9.4/9.6 range on down. Many books have more issues encapsulated than collectors looking for them, so you can capture some savings at times.

Buy cheap slabs and crack the books out. I cracked out 22 slabs this past weekend :thumbsup:

1. While I have a quite a lot of high grade "RAW" comics in my collection being based in the UK I find the effort it would take and the costs involved to send them off to CGC to be graded and slabbed off-putting (that's putting it mildly).

I totally sympathize with the shipping cost issues.

Otherwise, it's a matter of personal taste. I prefer raw books but I do own maybe 30 or so slabs.

I don't collect slabbed comics, either - I like to open them up, read them, sniff them, all that fun stuff. Same reasons as the above - I'm not a high grade collector, either.

If I wanted and could afford high-dollar comics, I'd be happy to buy slabbed for the expert opinion and restoration check - very valuable services for comics transactions. I wouldn't keep anything in a slab unless I was buying it purely for investment (and there's nothing wrong with that, if someone feels a certain comic is the best place to park a few bucks).

I like to pop my slabbed comics that I buy for my personal collection out of their holders as well.

(thumbs u

Hello - where in the UK are you from?

Hi

I'm originally from South Wales but I'm currently living in Bedfordshire for work purposes...where do you hail from?

The frozen north - Teesside.

:hi:

I am another no slab owner and they haven't kicked me out yet.

I don't own slabs mainly b/c I am not a high grade collector so that I am very non-grade sensitive for most of my purchases. Also, I do not chase the most slab-worthy books, i.e., I don't collect SA nor the segment of GA that gets slabbed. So, it's been more circumstances than intent. Still,

Slab Count: 0

I have a few slabs, but your description is a good one. I do collect SA, but not in high grade (and the few high graders that I do own are certainly not slabs). I get a few books a year slabbed, some that I keep (like the Mask 1 & 2 up on my wall) as a resto check, the others I usually sell for the bump in price I get due to the slab. The others I have are all sig series, which I do like the slabs for. I'll likely never own more than 10 graded books at a time. I don't get the appeal of graded moderns, but that doesn't stop me from slabbing and selling them to those that do.

I mostly stick away from buying slabs because they are more expensive and mostly used for the higher grades (I'm a low/mid-grade collector).

The frozen north - Teesside.
:D

I've got distant relatives living in Middlesborough and they seem to like it ;)

Well, some parts of it are posh.

I must have missed those.....

I supposes there is always the posh end of Stockton (Yarm)

Back on Topic,

My main collection is purely raws, however, I'm trying to duplicate my copper age UXM run in slabbed format. I do love a good slab, but certainly wouldn't collect them exclusively.

That said, I do collect Grimm Fairy Tales slabbed, I think it's something to do with the wipe-clean protection for the covers :)

I only have a couple of slabbed books but it was only in my mind key books to me. I have even cracked out the rest. Majority of books I am happy with a 9.0 or higher raw. :)