• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Mark Jewler Ads

35 posts in this topic

I had bought a big bunch of Marvel 1976ish issues some time ago, hoping they might turn up as 30 cent variants. While there turned out to be no 30 centers, I finally got around to the process of grading, bagging and boarding. In the process I realized that nearly every copy had a Mark jewlers ad. I have AT LEAST 1 packed short box and maybe two. These go through a broad range of titles, including ASM and Daredevil. Additionally I have but have not yet catologued another 100-200 in the Marvel group for 75 cent to 1.25 cover price issues.

The 1976 issues range from approximately VG to FINE. The later issues average Fine to VF, with a few better and a few worse.

I don't have a problem holding on to these and may put them on eBay. If anbody has a serious interest in these, PM me..maybe we can figure out a deal.

HAPPY EASTER

Any early FF's?? Higghawker

Might well, I can't remember, but there was most everything in the mainlne titles. I'll review them within a couple of weeks and try and post something william.

Sorry, dont want to sound dumb, but why are these jewlers ads so sought after?

They are kinda like the price variants, just something else to make them more rare. They were included in the comics that were only sold to the military bookstores. Since the inserts were of a thicker paper stock they tended to make the spines stronger, which reduced the chance of spine creases.

I had bought a big bunch of Marvel 1976ish issues some time ago, hoping they might turn up as 30 cent variants. While there turned out to be no 30 centers, I finally got around to the process of grading, bagging and boarding. In the process I realized that nearly every copy had a Mark jewlers ad. I have AT LEAST 1 packed short box and maybe two. These go through a broad range of titles, including ASM and Daredevil. Additionally I have but have not yet catologued another 100-200 in the Marvel group for 75 cent to 1.25 cover price issues.

The 1976 issues range from approximately VG to FINE. The later issues average Fine to VF, with a few better and a few worse.

I don't have a problem holding on to these and may put them on eBay. If anbody has a serious interest in these, PM me..maybe we can figure out a deal.

HAPPY EASTER

To my surprise, i discovered today that I had overlooked another box with close to 500 bronze age, mixed DC and Marvel. What amazed me was that most of the DC issues had the Mark Jewlers ads as well.

I have received a few inquiries on these and if you like you can send me a PM. I am currently about 600 comics behind as far as grading goes before I get close to these. Most of these are VG tro Fine with a few being worse and a few better!

They are kinda like the price variants, just something else to make them more rare. They were included in the comics that were only sold to the military bookstores. Since the inserts were of a thicker paper stock they tended to make the spines stronger, which reduced the chance of spine creases.

Is any kind of premium paid for these over "regular" copies? I grew up on U.S. military bases overseas during the mid to late 1970s, and seem to recall that many of the issues I bought had the inserts (never knew until now that US domestic issues did not).

Is any kind of premium paid for these over "regular" copies? I grew up on U.S. military bases overseas during the mid to late 1970s, and seem to recall that many of the issues I bought had the inserts (never knew until now that US domestic issues did not).

Realistically, in this day and age, if they sold for Overstreet guide with the ad, it would already have added value.

HAPPY EASTER

To my surprise, i discovered today that I had overlooked another box with close to 500 bronze age, mixed DC and Marvel. What amazed me was that most of the DC issues had the Mark Jewlers ads as well.

I have received a few inquiries on these and if you like you can send me a PM. I am currently about 600 comics behind as far as grading goes before I get close to these. Most of these are VG tro Fine with a few being worse and a few better!

Here is a list of the DC Mark Jewlers variants I found. If you have an interest, let me know...

Action 433,456,461,462,463, 465, 475, 476 G/VG to VG/Fine mostly VG+

Adventure 440,453 G/VG to VG+

All Star Comics 65 VG+

Batman 273,275,277, G/VG to VG

Detective Comics 459,462,467 G/VG-VG/F

Brave and Bold124,127,128,131 VG- to VG

Flash 231,236,237, 238,240,241,242,243,244,245,267 G- to VG+ mostly VG-

Freedom Fighters 3,4 G/VG and VG/F

Justice League Of America 124,135,136,137,179 G to F-, mostly F-

Losers 162 G/VG

Starfire 4 VG

Legion of Super Heroes 215,217,218, VG to VG/F

Superboy 458 G/VG

Superman 277,279,292,293,295,296, 301, 307, 308, 348 G- to F+ mostly G/VG

Teen Titans 4 and 5 about VG

Worlds Finest 219,236,241,243, VG/F, G-, VG+

About 60 all told.I'll list the Marvels of the bunch later and quite a bit later I'll list the later Marvels I have in really good shape with some solid titles.

From the collection I bought I have been able to put together a pretty comprehensive list of which inserts exist and what months they were used -- at least thru the '70's. I'd be interested to compair notes and see if the same scheme applied throughout the country.

Another interesting thing to be on the lookout for is an advertisement slick as the second wrap -- just like a second cover. I have a few (very few) book that have this. From what I can tell they appear to be for comics that were distributed in bases overseas. Anyone seen these?

--Stronguy

From the collection I bought I have been able to put together a pretty comprehensive list of which inserts exist and what months they were used -- at least thru the '70's. I'd be interested to compair notes and see if the same scheme applied throughout the country.

Another interesting thing to be on the lookout for is an advertisement slick as the second wrap -- just like a second cover. I have a few (very few) book that have this. From what I can tell they appear to be for comics that were distributed in bases overseas. Anyone seen these?

--Stronguy

OGMKP-amazingspidey122mennen.jpg

BTW - WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

I have a couple of books with that one and a few with this one (sorry, a thumbnail is all I have of it). This completely took me by surprise when I found them.

--Stronguy

479766-Thumb_cover.jpg

479766-Thumb_cover.jpg.5243f04869af2add9e3e6e929def7ced.jpg

I have a couple of books with that one and a few with this one (sorry, a thumbnail is all I have of it). This completely took me by surprise when I found them.

--Stronguy

479766-Thumb_cover.jpg

What books are those in?

What books do you have with the mennen insert? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What books are those in?

What books do you have with the mennen insert? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My collection is sort of in a state of flux right now so I'm having trouble locating the exact issues. IIRC, the Mennen one is in Sub-Mariner #63. The other one (that pic is of just one slick -- all 4 sides) is in a MTU #14 and a Captain Marvel and a few others.

I just stumbled on these and haven't really gone back thru all of my books to see if I missed any others.