• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Mark Jewler Ads

35 posts in this topic

I think the Jewler ads are a nice "bonus", but hardly something I would seek out from a compulsive collecting standpoint---that's what my insatisible desire for high grade DCs are for! devil.gif

Agreed. I don't think I would seek out books solely based on the fact that they had a MJI. However, given a choice b/t two books in reasonably similar condition I would probably select the MJI.

My main interest in them is strictly historical. I just happened upon a collection w/ it in a/b 700 different books. I thought it would be cool to find out a little more and maybe develop some sort of guide -- which inserts in which months.

Has anyone noticed any of hese MJ insert books with exterior markings of some sort? I've purchased MJ books in 3 southeastern states that all bear the same little "star" black ink stamp somewhere near the logo.

What you're describing sounds like a distro mark. I doubt it has anything to do specifically with the MJI being there or not.

Almost all of my MJI books came from a guy who grew up in NC. None of his books have a black star.

What you're describing sounds like a distro mark. I doubt it has anything to do specifically with the MJI being there or not.

They are referred to as BX stars. You'll find alot of 70s comics with MJ inserts with the mark. They just weren't used uniformly. I've heard that comics that originated from the Pacific bases almost always have the mark. Where as those destined for European bases may or may not have them.

Jim

Great info on the stars...I have seen purple, blue and black stars even some with a circle around the star...maybe that was just someone stamping down with too heavy a hand smile.gif

Ya, that is nice to know. I'll have to look again and see how many of them I can find.

Great info on the stars...I have seen purple, blue and black stars even some with a circle around the star...maybe that was just someone stamping down with too heavy a hand smile.gif

I'm here to serve.... smirk.gif

Jim

Thanks for the information. I posted in the "ask CGC" section asking if the marks would be considered the same as arrival dates. The majority of the books are in extremely nice shape except for the stamp. Would be a shame if the "official voice" of grading was unaware of the story behind the stamp.

Thanks for the information. I posted in the "ask CGC" section asking if the marks would be considered the same as arrival dates. The majority of the books are in extremely nice shape except for the stamp. Would be a shame if the "official voice" of grading was unaware of the story behind the stamp.

I can't be sure...but I think CGC downgrades for the star. I've got a double-cover WBN 37 that has the star. CGC graded the outside cover a 6.5....and from a structural standpoint...I can't figure out why. confused.gif

I seem to remember a few other threads about the MJI books on the boards listing some of the books known to have them. Did anyone put together a comprehensive list? confused-smiley-013.gif

Beyonder?

I grew up in the Military most of the books I collected from that time over in Rhamstien, Germany had the Star stamp. Time period was from 1979-1983. Mark jeweler adds appeared all titles that I can remember from one time to another. From Captain America to Star Wars (I only collected Mavel). As for the stamp the books did not have them on them when placed on the stand. The store clerk stamped them as you purchased them to identify that they were not stolen this was done to all magazines and paperback books as well. I remember this because I asked the man not to stamp them at one point and he explained the reason why it had to be done. So all my books continued to be stamped. He use to fastinate my as a little kid since he only had 3 fingers on one hand and 2 on the other. grin.gif

I grew up in the Military most of the books I collected from that time over in Rhamstien, Germany had the Star stamp. Time period was from 1979-1983. Mark jeweler adds appeared all titles that I can remember from one time to another. From Captain America to Star Wars (I only collected Mavel). As for the stamp the books did not have them on them when placed on the stand. The store clerk stamped them as you purchased them to identify that they were not stolen this was done to all magazines and paperback books as well. I remember this because I asked the man not to stamp them at one point and he explained the reason why it had to be done. So all my books continued to be stamped. He use to fastinate my as a little kid since he only had 3 fingers on one hand and 2 on the other. grin.gif

Thanks for the info. Always nice to know.