• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing comics in long boxes...how tightly packed do you leave them?

44 posts in this topic

I don't know if being in the box when it's that tight is an issue, but I do know that I am more likely to damage them when flipping, pulling or putting them in. So, yeah, I don't pack that tight. Besides, when it's a matter of 5-10 books it's not like you're gaining a lot of extra storage by jamming it full.

....it's a question of angles and trajectories upon re-entry and the malleability of the protective sheathing (bag and board). The bag and board SEEMS sturdy, leaving us with a false sense of security....but it doesn't take much of a bend to create a stress. Nick has probably had more luck because of his use of Mylar sleeves....which are a superior design to the bag (and with no possibility of a tape pull). GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah, I'd say with mylars and robust backers, tight works a treat. Be careful how you take them out and put them back in, but otherwise for long-term storage, leave no finger room. (thumbs u

I would like to add one more thing, at the risk of sounding crass.....put the books in the mylar and in the box GENTLY.....not the way a young fella puts his willy in a cheerleader. GOD BLESS...

I don't know if being in the box when it's that tight is an issue, but I do know that I am more likely to damage them when flipping, pulling or putting them in. So, yeah, I don't pack that tight. Besides, when it's a matter of 5-10 books it's not like you're gaining a lot of extra storage by jamming it full.

....it's a question of angles and trajectories upon re-entry and the malleability of the protective sheathing (bag and board). The bag and board SEEMS sturdy, leaving us with a false sense of security....but it doesn't take much of a bend to create a stress. Nick has probably had more luck because of his use of Mylar sleeves....which are a superior design to the bag (and with no possibility of a tape pull). GOD BLESS....

Yeah, I'd say with mylars and robust backers, tight works a treat. Be careful how you take them out and put them back in, but otherwise for long-term storage, leave no finger room. (thumbs u

I would like to add one more thing, at the risk of sounding crass.....put the books in the mylar and in the box GENTLY.....not the way a young fella puts his willy in a cheerleader. GOD BLESS...

Post of the day

Post of the day

Jimbo's personal experiences are always great to read.

I use of a piece of foam at the end of the stack in the long box (take the foam out when I want to peruse the box)

+1 or sometimes I use a Marvel Masterpieces book as a bookend in the box.

I use of a piece of foam at the end of the stack in the long box (take the foam out when I want to peruse the box)

+1 or sometimes I use a Marvel Masterpieces book as a bookend in the box.

....that's a PERFECT idea. GOD BLESS...

Again with most things there seem to be differing opinions on the best way to store and preserve your pride and joys.

I've got a couple of longboxes and for what it's worth I have them packed quite tightly but loose enough that I'm able to extract or return an issue without a problem.

As the majority of my collection is boarded I don't it's as much of an issue than if you comics are just stored in bags etc. hm

Cheers

PCC

As the majority of my collection is boarded I don't it's as much of an issue than if you comics are just stored in bags etc.

If you squash enough books into one box and some of them are offset (spines sitting slightly further over than the others) then you can still get spine roll quite easily.

If you squash enough books into one box and some of them are offset (spines sitting slightly further over than the others) then you can still get spine roll quite easily.

Stop it you are going to make me paranoid :insane:

On the most part I'm not one to overstuff a box as I do find myself going through them on a semi regular basis...I would say living conditions are comfy but not crowded (thumbs u

As the majority of my collection is boarded I don't it's as much of an issue than if you comics are just stored in bags etc.

This was what I was thinking.

Although I've got a box of moderns (Batgirl & Robin) which are just bagged and stored tight and they appear to be ok.

My problem is the books I have bagged & boarded, driving the air out of the bag once the comic has been placed inside. Also making sure they completely stand up straight and don't lean causing a bend in the middle which I've had before.

Although I've got a box of moderns (Batgirl & Robin) which are just bagged and stored tight and they appear to be ok.

My problem is the books I have bagged & boarded, driving the air out of the bag once the comic has been placed inside. Also making sure they completely stand up straight and don't lean causing a bend in the middle which I've had before.

I totally agree that drives me up the wall...anyone got any tips?

You're probably folding over the back of the bag to create an airtight seal. Either trim the lip of bag back down to the board with a pair of scissors, or fold along that edge leaving some pooching out.

I don't use tape on most of my comics in regular bags and boards, I just neatly tuck in the flap. Be careful not to just stuff it in leaving dog ears, but neatly tuck them in. It is an art getting them just right, but you'll get the technique down quickly.

For my expensive stuff in M2's and Fullbacks - I crease along the line of the back of the bag, then secure the flap with a post-it flag.

As for the leaning books - put some regular hardback or paperback books in to fill up the gap. I place an extra cardboard divider at the front and back of the box to keep the box ends (handles, etc) from damaging the books.

My problem is the books I have bagged & boarded, driving the air out of the bag once the comic has been placed inside. Also making sure they completely stand up straight and don't lean causing a bend in the middle which I've had before. [/quote]

I totally agree that drives me up the wall...anyone got any tips?

Learn to use the quote function properly. :gossip: