• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Market bubbles (Comic Hero bubbles?)

84 posts in this topic

For me it was Dazzler #1...there was so much hype about that comic and of course there is like a gazillion of them and who the hell is Dazzler? lol

I was also thinking about this book...I bought 10 copies when it first came out, hoping to cash in... lol

For me it was Dazzler #1...there was so much hype about that comic and of course there is like a gazillion of them and who the hell is Dazzler? lol

I was also thinking about this book...I bought 10 copies when it first came out, hoping to cash in... lol

Me too. Who would have known at the time that disco was dead?

:cry:

Me too. Who would have known at the time that disco was dead?

:cry:

... :whistle:

me

So many...

Valiant

Swamp Thing (and all things Alan Moore)

Howard the Duck

Conan

John Byrne

Frank Miller

New X-Men x-overs

New Mutants 86

Grant Morrison

B&Ws

Tomb of Dracula 10 first Blade

Daredevil 131 first Bullseye

All-Star Western 10 first Jonah Hex

are classic examples of bubbles that have burst. They are the typical comics that get highly hyped because they will or were involved in a comic book film. The bubbles builds for these types of comic books only to burst after the movie they are in premieres.

So many...

Valiant

Howard the Duck

Conan

John Byrne

Frank Miller

New X-Men x-overs

New Mutants 86

Grant MorrisonB&Ws

Those four dominated the 1980`s with great stories and yet the majority their comics can be had rather cheaply. This tells us not to confuse a great read with a good investment. I have a friend right now who is heavily investing in Geoff Johns stuff. I think I should show him this thread. hm

So many...

Valiant

Howard the Duck

Conan

John Byrne

Frank Miller

New X-Men x-overs

New Mutants 86

Grant MorrisonB&Ws

Those four dominated the 1980`s with great stories and yet the majority their comics can be had rather cheaply. This tells us not to confuse a great read with a good investment. I have a friend right now who is heavily investing in Geoff Johns stuff. I think I should show him this tread. hm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of the books by Miller, Byrne and Moore were always cheap. I don't actually remember Byrne's FFs (just an example) being particularly expensive. (shrug)

Miller's DDs, Byrne's X-Men and Moore's very early Swamp Things were the only ones that had any real value (as collectibles/investments) and they're certainly not dollar books now (at least in high grade). Let's not forget we're talking about books from the late 70s and early 80s here and I can't easily think of many books from that era that are more expensive and collectible than Byrne's X-Men and Miller's DDs. hm

The general point of your post stands (a great read does not always guarantee a good investment) but I thought this thread was about market bubbles and I don't believe these particular books fit the bill.

Howard the Duck and NM #86 are excellent examples, though (thumbs u

So many...

Valiant

Howard the Duck

Conan

John Byrne

Frank Miller

New X-Men x-overs

New Mutants 86

Grant MorrisonB&Ws

Those four dominated the 1980`s with great stories and yet the majority their comics can be had rather cheaply. This tells us not to confuse a great read with a good investment. I have a friend right now who is heavily investing in Geoff Johns stuff. I think I should show him this tread. hm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of the books by Miller, Byrne and Moore were always cheap. I don't actually remember Byrne's FFs (just an example) being particularly expensive. (shrug)

Miller's DDs, Byrne's X-Men and Moore's very early Swamp Things were the only ones that had any real value (as collectibles/investments) and they're certainly not dollar books now (at least in high grade). Let's not forget we're talking about books from the late 70s and early 80s here and I can't easily think of many books from that era that are more expensive and collectible than Byrne's X-Men and Miller's DDs. hm

The general point of your post stands (a great read does not always guarantee a good investment) but I thought this thread was about market bubbles and I don't believe these particular books fit the bill.

Does anybody know or remember why those two books were widely sought after?

You would think Adventure into Fear #19 the first appearance of Howard the Duck would have been a better bet than Howard the Duck #1.

In the 80's I remember everything by Miller and Byrne being white hot.

In fact, Marvel had Miller bouncing all over the place doing covers and interiors and I remember a lot of the books being broken out in the guide for that reason.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd call it a bubble burst as a lot of his stuff still is very sought after and carries a premium over surrounding issues, just like the Byrne stuff does.

My idea of a bubble burst is when something drops back down close to cover price, not a slight (or even a 50%0 reduction in price based on increased supply or decreased demand.

Let's see...

-Knightfall books

-Death of Superman Storyline (and God help me Funeral For a Friend and the Intro of the four Superman imposters)

-Symbiote books...ASM 300 seems to have leveled but all the Venom appearances/mini-series and then spinning into Carnage books, etc. etc.

-Similarly (as in a bubble that was killed by oversaturation) the Punisher...his mini, ongoing, and various spin off series (thinking War Journal here). ASM 129 of course does just fine, but the rest of his stuff was red hot at one time.

-Bad Girl books from the 1990's (although with Zenoscope and others this seems to be coming back into vogue). Thinking the Chaos books (Lady Death, Purgatori, and others)

-New Warriors...remember when #1 was very sought after

-GI Joe from the 1980's. LOVE these books, but they went crazy in price for awhile.

-More recently seems Morning Glories might be doing the old start strong then crash and burn trip :shrug:

Just a few that came to mind :juggle:

I would have to add the Black and White independence craze of my youth. Other tha TMNT - almost all of the must have books have fizzled and disappeared. Mutant hampsters? Boris the Bear? All were listed as hot and a must have in any collection. Burst bubble burst:)

I would have to add the Black and White independence craze of my youth. Other tha TMNT - almost all of the must have books have fizzled and disappeared. Mutant hampsters? Boris the Bear? All were listed as hot and a must have in any collection. Burst bubble burst:)

Good call...remember thinking the shark was jumped when I saw a copy of

Gangrene Geriatric Jijitsu Gerbils :P

-Death of Superman Storyline

This!

It seems that every other call my LCS guy gets when someone says they have an old superman to bring in...9 times out of 10 it's some guy with 5 unopened bags of Death of Superman. There was so much buzz about that one and it sure was overblown.

But, at least that comic still has some value to it...

Ah the memories!!! You and I must be around the same age. I remember some of those wacky titles....Radioactive Ninja Hamsters, Fish Police, Grips, Eagle, Concrete, Boris the Bear, Albedo, Primer, TMNT....Obviously some are still highly collectable, but most of them can be found in the fifty cent bin....

BTW, Whatever happened to Usagi Yojimbo ?

This!

It seems that every other call my LCS guy gets when someone says they have an old superman to bring in...9 times out of 10 it's some guy with 5 unopened bags of Death of Superman. There was so much buzz about that one and it sure was overblown.

It does...?

This!

It does...?

I don't think the value has dropped to cover price or the $1 boxes...which is exactly where you will find Dazzler #1. I think Death of Superman can still get $10 in NM.... maybe?

So many...

Valiant

Howard the Duck

Conan

John Byrne

Frank Miller

New X-Men x-overs

New Mutants 86

Grant MorrisonB&Ws

When Byrne and Miller first broke big, which did not happen immediately after they began their seminal runs, all of their previous work got broken out and priced higher. With Miller, it was various covers that he had done on some Spiderman titles and also his first work at Marvel on John Carter of Mars. I`m having a harder time remembering Byrne`s work in non-X-Men titles, but I distinctly remember price jumps across the board. By the time he worked on FF, he was already a star and so there was never a big price bump because everyone already bought the title because he was working on it.

I`m not talking about huge bubbles, of course. This was the late 70s or early 80s, after all. Just that there were price break-outs across the board and today those prices have flattened back in line with other issues in the runs.

You would think Adventure into Fear #19 the first appearance of Howard the Duck would have been a better bet than Howard the Duck #1.

Adventure into Fear #19 WAS a hot book. Once HTD #1 jumped up, all of Howard`s appearances outside of his own title skyrocketed at the time. I remember AIF 19 going for around $20, which was monstrous back then.