• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,949 posts in this topic

The Black Cat cover is an especially appreciated one for me, a favorite ... Neal was SO creative with this medium. I remember helping a friend set up at a two day regional show which allowed me to get in early both days. Neal was set up and no one was around. so I got to chat with him for at least a half hour. I have a promotional piece he did early in his career for Tandy Leather, I'd never heard about it until @bedrockcomics listed it for sale in one of his promo threads. I got to ask Neal about it and he said he hadn't thought about it in years but was probably done when he was only 19 years old. His style was distinctive even then. It is titled "Adventures in Leather" and always gets a chuckle or two when I show it ... but it actually deals with those leather stamping tools that are used on belts and such. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

7 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

The Black Cat cover is an especially appreciated one for me, a favorite ... Neal was SO creative with this medium. I remember helping a friend set up at a two day regional show which allowed me to get in early both days. Neal was set up and no one was around. so I got to chat with him for at least a half hour. I have a promotional piece he did early in his career for Tandy Leather, I'd never heard about it until @bedrockcomics listed it for sale in one of his promo threads. I got to ask Neal about it and he said he hadn't thought about it in years but was probably done when he was only 19 years old. His style was distinctive even then. It is titled "Adventures in Leather" and always gets a chuckle or two when I show it ... but it actually deals with those leather stamping tools that are used on belts and such. GOD BLESS....

Great story. I do not have the Tandy piece but I have a few Goodyear and Steel promotional items that Neal did. 

13 minutes ago, dover said:

Great story. I do not have the Tandy piece but I have a few Goodyear and Steel promotional items that Neal did. 

The internet has the Tandy piece as late as '68, but Neal said earlier. I'm not sure how early Tandy was operational and the work does seem very refined for a 19 year old... but if Neal went to the School of Visual Arts he could have learned from the greats and the school did encourage professional work BEFORE graduation ...  but that's one thing I didn't ask Neal... where he studied at. I was in fanboy mode . GOD BLESS...

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

The internet has the Tandy piece as late as '68, but Neal said earlier. I'm not sure how early Tandy was operational and the work does seem very refined for a 19 year old... but if Neal went to the School of Visual Arts he could have learned from the greats and the school did encourage professional work BEFORE graduation ...  but that's one thing I didn't ask Neal... where he studied at. I was in fanboy mode . GOD BLESS...

He was born in 1941 according to the internet. He was doing the fantastic Ben Casey work during 1962 - 68 (or close). Not sure about the "19" you reference. We need a board historian to check all these dates and facts and get back to us.

8 minutes ago, dover said:

He was born in 1941 according to the internet. He was doing the fantastic Ben Casey work during 1962 - 68 (or close). Not sure about the "19" you reference. We need a board historian to check all these dates and facts and get back to us.

That's what Neal told me... he said he thought he was 19 years old when he did the Tandy promotional. He would have been 19 in 1960 ... Tandy began in 1919 so who knows ? GOD BLESS...

I did find this TANDY LEATHER PROMOTIONAL

Edited by jimjum12

On 5/19/2021 at 10:00 AM, Rip said:

HOM 179, Witching Hour 3, 13 and a few others commonly have bad paper quality. I remember seeing a couple large finds of massive doubles and almost all had cream paper quality. I think there was a warehouse find with HOM 210. Which is also why there is a 9.9 copy.

Rosa books are very underestimated, often with great gloss. Some of the later Pac. Coast books sometimes have OW to C/OW pages but almost universally great centering. Savannah is like PC but with more C/OW copies as they go into the 70's. Massachusetts and Oakland have fantastic paper quality, maybe the best overall. There are some nice Bowling Green Ped copies out there but I only have a couple. Never seen a Curator DC horror book.

Agreed Swampy 1 is a tough book to get a good wrap. HOS 110 is tough to get centered with the Signature. HOM 221 often has poor centering. HOM 267 is tough with the right side often cut off.
Secrets of the Sinister House 18 is one of the tougher books with only 1 9.4 copy on the census.

The HOM 210 CGC 9.9 was originally auctioned off by Bobcat Enterprises from ebay so it's not from any warehouse find.