• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,909 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

I've fallen behind in sharing my new acquisitions - time to play catch-up tonight.

IMG_3834.thumb.JPEG.b02ad1480aa5cdee53c28a6da2a6081f.JPEG

IMG_3837.thumb.JPEG.8c86468a3d0ab66ebd6a65b618de4ba2.JPEG

IMG_3839.thumb.JPEG.59f55041bc56d9b51438355a71252a7e.JPEG

Those are all awesome.

I love the Phantom Stranger run with Adams' covers. Aparo had some great ones as well.

Does anyone have a nice Phantom Stranger #10!? That's a want list book for me for sure.

I used to think I was too "advanced" for Bronze Age, but somehow I've found myself getting more and more enthusiastic about them. True, they aren't terribly rare, but they're still challenging in true 9.6 or better.... especially if you're hunting them in the wild. These came from my friend and fellow hillbilly David. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

IK4TNgo.jpg

rmRbIUa.jpg

ZpIdr06.jpg

1 minute ago, shiverbones said:

In the 30 years of looking, have never found a raw high grade ps10 in the wild. Maybe hom190 is the only other from that era

Same.

Growing up- my comic shop never really had high grade DC horror books come through. For whatever reason, Marvels were much more prevalent. I don’t think I saw my first high grade DC bronze horror until I went to the SDCC.

I would see a raft of beaters, usually in 3 for a dollar boxes back in the day, but as prices jumped in the early 2000s, they started coming out, but certain issues, just never. Hom 176 was another I don’t think I had above fine until the last few years. Also weirdly never a hom 179 with oww pages. Even my 1st copy bought in 1985 was tan

9 hours ago, shiverbones said:

I would see a raft of beaters, usually in 3 for a dollar boxes back in the day, but as prices jumped in the early 2000s, they started coming out, but certain issues, just never. Hom 176 was another I don’t think I had above fine until the last few years. Also weirdly never a hom 179 with oww pages. Even my 1st copy bought in 1985 was tan

I remember when some of the Rosa collection (at least the horror books) was offered up on ebay and the eye-opening prices that they brought at the time. Those were the nicest copies, across entire runs, that I'd seen up to that point.

It's fun to have been collecting long enough to see idiosyncrasies with certain books, and you are right on the money - HOM 179 is absolutely a pain to find with good page quality. HOS 92 also is a toughie with better page quality. HOS 88 with it's CCA stamp, and the HOM dollar books with their bindery 'pops'... are others that come to mind with production flaws.

I'm curious to know if other collectors have run across certain books that seem to have universal flaws, which then make you willing to pay more for a nice copy when it shows up.

For me - a book along those lines is Swamp Thing #1. There are a *lot* of miswrapped copies out there, and even though some might be high grade, I just really, really appreciate a nice wrap on the book. I have paid more for that particular copy with a good wrap.

3 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

I remember when some of the Rosa collection (at least the horror books) was offered up on ebay and the eye-opening prices that they brought at the time. Those were the nicest copies, across entire runs, that I'd seen up to that point.

It's fun to have been collecting long enough to see idiosyncrasies with certain books, and you are right on the money - HOM 179 is absolutely a pain to find with good page quality. HOS 92 also is a toughie with better page quality. HOS 88 with it's CCA stamp, and the HOM dollar books with their bindery 'pops'... are others that come to mind with production flaws.

I'm curious to know if other collectors have run across certain books that seem to have universal flaws, which then make you willing to pay more for a nice copy when it shows up.

For me - a book along those lines is Swamp Thing #1. There are a *lot* of miswrapped copies out there, and even though some might be high grade, I just really, really appreciate a nice wrap on the book. I have paid more for that particular copy with a good wrap.

HOM 179, Witching Hour 3, 13 and a few others commonly have bad paper quality. I remember seeing a couple large finds of massive doubles and almost all had cream paper quality. I think there was a warehouse find with HOM 210. Which is also why there is a 9.9 copy.

Rosa books are very underestimated, often with great gloss. Some of the later Pac. Coast books sometimes have OW to C/OW pages but almost universally great centering. Savannah is like PC but with more C/OW copies as they go into the 70's. Massachusetts and Oakland have fantastic paper quality, maybe the best overall. There are some nice Bowling Green Ped copies out there but I only have a couple. Never seen a Curator DC horror book.

Agreed Swampy 1 is a tough book to get a good wrap. HOS 110 is tough to get centered with the Signature. HOM 221 often has poor centering. HOM 267 is tough with the right side often cut off.
Secrets of the Sinister House 18 is one of the tougher books with only 1 9.4 copy on the census.

Edited by Rip