• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Workin' on the 20centers....I have these issues in borderline 9.0 now and want to upgrade to 9.4 or better (CGC only please).

B3111199-sm.jpg

B3111206-sm.jpg

B3111209-sm.jpg

B3111214-sm.jpg

B3111216-sm.jpg

B3111217-sm.jpg

B3111218-sm.jpg

B3111220-sm.jpg

All of the 100 pagers (224,226,228 being the urgent ones). Hopefully greggy can hook me up since 100 pagers are his expertise. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Also: 230, 231, 232, 233, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 248, 250, 260, 261, 262. And who could forget that 270 bondage cover? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Oh, and that Kaluta devil in the crib on 273? Or the "Shining" cover--276? I had many books in these ranges that failed to meet my 9.0 requirement frown.gif

I actually have CGC 9.4 copies of 225,227, and 229 (which is why they aren't on my wish list). I actually had two CGC 9.4 copies of 229 at one point. I have VF"ish" copies of all the 100 pagers, but nothing outlandishly HG. confused-smiley-013.gif

I actually have CGC 9.4 copies of 225,227, and 229 (which is why they aren't on my wish list). I actually had two CGC 9.4 copies of 229 at one point. I have VF"ish" copies of all the 100 pagers, but nothing outlandishly HG. confused-smiley-013.gif
Well it is nice to see that you are still with us and that you kept your favourite title together as a set.

Some of the books you have are quite magnificent to say the least.

cloud9.gif

I'm still nauseous after the last sale. I'm getting back my Witching Hours and a few other misc Marvel titles that "will have to go". I'm letting the Marvels go without any problems; its the DC mystery books that is killing me.

Yeah, it's sometimes better not to come on to the boards because it's very emotional for me. As long as all of my HOM stay together, I think it will be a good thing. I'm even going for high grade pre-174 issues as well, when I feel "healthy" financially for it. I still kick myself for selling my HOM #1 CGC 9.0 18 months ago.

I'm trying to break up the book sale into two large auctions; then I'll be "done" with it. I'll also have some mid-grade GA and SA raw HOM that will go for cheap, for those who want a taste of the "old school" HOM. (again--I'm targeting to keep only my HG HOM). I'm also getting my raw Weird War Tales in order for CGC worthiness--that should be good as well.

Sigh...

Sterling, regarding your sales, anything surprise you as far as what they ended up selling for? Either on the high or the low side? 9.4? 9.6? 9.8? Just wondering since I'm getting into the slabbing business with these books too.

In the next day or two I'll be pulling out my stash and seeing if I have anything in 9.4 or above on your list. Might have some of the later ones.-----Sid

To be honest, issues that haven't been slabbed (as represented in the census) and in high grade (9.6) seem to do the best foreheadslap.gif even in Modern range. I used to be able to pick up CGC 9.8 Modern horror for $20 a book, sometimes cheaper. Now, they've almost doubled in price. I tend to agree with Sullipa's theory that horror even in the early 80s and beyond are picking up a notch--not a fever pitch, but a noticeable one. On the flip side, I saw gccbo with a ton of similar Marvel books (in 9.6 and 9.8 blush.gif) and I didn't think they did as well as the could've. First time I've seen a Crypt of Shadows in high CGC grade in over 3 years on eBay. It "may" have something to do with making sure you have "draw" books to lure potential buyers in seeing your other stash. confused-smiley-013.gif What the heck do I know--I just slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Even with some of my 9.0/9.2 issues, they did well. But I collect these, and I know whomever was bidding on them were thinking "how long am I going to have to wait to see another one" which helped bump them up. Of course, if anyone watched the auctions, there were other factors involved that I won't go into here.

For books I want, like House of Mystery, the CGC well is dry--at least on eBay. As I indicated, I don't want to use eBay too much longer as a buyer--too many nutcases (like me) willing to overbid. Now selling, eBay is great for this genre. Key books can be sold via other means for potentially more.

The biggest surprise: My Son of Satan RESTORED 8.5 going for over $20 bucks. I was thinking .50 or so tongue.gif

Wow I stand corrected. Vault of Evil #4 CGC 9.8 reserve met at $299.95. Mine was a 9.2 and went for only $60 or so...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35761&item=2263707166

sidenote: I can easily understand DC mystery books going for this much (actually much higher), but these Marvel reprints? confused-smiley-013.gif

Who knows? Maybe some new collectors don't even know they are reprints.

Why is it that DC had so many great Bronze horror anthology books and Marvel had none? But with that said, whenever I think of Bronze horror, which I have been alot recently, what always pops into my mind first and foremost is WBN and TOD. -----Sid

Who knows? Maybe some new collectors don't even know they are reprints.

Why is it that DC had so many great Bronze horror anthology books and Marvel had none? But with that said, whenever I think of Bronze horror, which I have been alot recently, what always pops into my mind first and foremost is WBN and TOD. -----Sid

same here. I loved TOD growing up, although it was nearing the end of the series. Not many series that you could say that 99% of the issues were from the same talent pool.

oh yeah. BassGMan, you wanted to know about comics about exorcism. My brain had another spasm. I know not the title or publisher, but I remember it having a religious slant. In other words, this kid as actually posessed and the good guys (religious guys) come over and literally knock the devil out of him. They then teach him about the power of Jesus Christ, etc etc. Looked more like a propaganda tool. I wish I could remember the title though. Definitely some good art panels in there! thumbsup2.gif (man, come to think of it--my comic selection sounded warp as heck growing up)

Demon3.JPG

As I have said before, I think most superhero collectors, which make up the majority of collectors, are for the most part unaware of these books. But I believe they would be susceptable to them if they were ever exposed to them.

I betcha', get any ASM or X-Men or typical Marvel or DC Bronze superhero collector over to this thread, sit him down and have him scan all the beautiful books on this thread, and with at least 90% certainty, I think we'd have another convert.

Well, one new convert here. After years of collecting ASM and near completion of my #1-20 CGC run, I found myself burning out on Spidey. Lurking on the boards one night, I found this thread and then of course the Shiverbones site and they really revitalized my interest in collecting. I never read DC Bronze horror growing up, but those covers rock! Fortunately that occured right before Wizard World Chicago, so I was able to indulge my newfound interest last weekend... thumbsup2.gif

As I have said before, I think most superhero collectors, which make up the majority of collectors, are for the most part unaware of these books. But I believe they would be susceptable to them if they were ever exposed to them.

I betcha', get any ASM or X-Men or typical Marvel or DC Bronze superhero collector over to this thread, sit him down and have him scan all the beautiful books on this thread, and with at least 90% certainty, I think we'd have another convert.

Well, one new convert here. After years of collecting ASM and near completion of my #1-20 CGC run, I found myself burning out on Spidey. Lurking on the boards one night, I found this thread and then of course the Shiverbones site and they really revitalized my interest in collecting. I never read DC Bronze horror growing up, but those covers rock! Fortunately that occured right before Wizard World Chicago, so I was able to indulge my newfound interest last weekend... thumbsup2.gif

Verbow, looks like we were checking out the same boxes. Did you pick up anything interesting? I don't remember the name of the dealer but I got alot of stuff from that one dealer that had all the "good stuff" in the middle at 35% off and all the other stuff at 50% off. It would be interesting to hear your take on Chicago. I wrote a little report on it a few pages back if you wanna check it out. ---Sid

Great avatar, verbow & welcome aboard the horror train! I was really into vintage cereal boxes and prizes a few years back. I even managed to find a fruit brute box! I wish the cereals still tasted the way they used to, instead of all light & airy now. I think they switched the oats for corn crazy.gif

I know there were a couple exorcism stories i ran across while indexing, but can not remember now where they were.... 893frustrated.gif

I'm sure I didn't pick up anything that you don't already have! Picked up primarily earlier Witching Hours, including several from Bruno Something-or-other, a Canadian dealer, as well as a dealer from New Mexico with the sign "We Buy Comics." While I shelled out a few dollars to both Ted from Superworld and Motor City for some of my favorite covers, when examining my books after the the convention it struck me yet again that many of the books I accrued at a discount were as nice as my higher-dollar books. My problem is patience - it's just so easy to fork a few dollars over to Ted as opposed to waiting for a book to appear on eBay...