• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Man i love "The Thing" and later "this mags" but hte post code, pre 70's charlton stuff is enough to kill a person with boredom!

You hit the nail on the head with that one! Even the Charlton post-code pre-BA covers were often bland and defined "wishy-washy". But the BA? Just lends more credence to the impact opf horror on the BA genre itself!

if the DC crowd ever starts picking up Charltons in earnest, its going to be UGLY!

I agree - which is why I am allocating at least half of my BA Budget to Charlton.

::I didn't say that. Charlton will never have any value and only readers should be bought for the sole purpose of making jokes at Charlton's expense:: thumbsup2.gif

haunted25.jpg

One of my top (?) list of favorite Charlton covers, the expression on that face is very chilling! The (?) is there 'cause I know I haven't seen all these gems yet and don't know how big my top list would be. thumbsup2.gif

haunted25.jpg

One of my top (?) list of favorite Charlton covers, the expression on that face is very chilling! The (?) is there 'cause I know I haven't seen all these gems yet and don't know how big my top list would be. thumbsup2.gif

Have to agree Jay! That is a HECK of a cover! Fully worthy of an excellent pre-code horror cover. Man this is just too strange.

Do most of us not even KNOW about these Charltons? I confess to ignoring them after their earlier pre-code days due to the poor quality. But BA really seems to have perked things up. How can these have lain fallow for so long?

::edit - originally said in last sentence "Are most of us...?" but changed "most" to "some" for a more even-headed thought. frown.gif

::edit removed last sentence and replaced with the above sentiment. Too harsh of me last sentence even edited frown.gif ::

Edited by povertyrow

Have to agree Jay! That is a HECK of a cover! Fully worthy of an excellent pre-code horror cover. Man this is just too strange.

Are most of us actually publisher/genre collectors? How can these have lain fallow for so long?

Pov, 95% of my collection is Horror/Monster/SciFi. I dunno, I've always been drawn to it moreso than the superhero genre. As a kid, Charlton's were always on the rack along with Marvel and DC at my local 5&10 store so they were consumed along with the rest. Charlton's died out in the early/mid 90's and I remember a link awhile back about them having ties to the Mob! Anyone have clearer info on this as my memory is fuzzy.

Edited by Jayman

Don't know too much about the pre-code Charlton's but sad to hear most were bland, would not have expected that!

No Jay! The pre-code Charltons were often amazing. The post-code SAish were often bland. Hmmm - hope I did not mis-state myself.

One opf my favorite pre-codes of all is a warehouse find: THING 16 Charlton. Was CGCd a 9.2 a couple or more years ago. May well get better grade today but just love that book and will not swap it.

Repeat pic below. Palais cover - I know there are more "bloody" or "gory" THING covers but the composition etc. of this one is still my favorite:

thing16.jpg

No Jay! The pre-code Charltons were often amazing. The post-code SAish were often bland. Hmmm - hope I did not mis-state myself.

Oops! My fault there, went back and reread the thread (heh, that rhymed)!

Oops! My fault there, went back and reread the thread (heh, that rhymed)!

Whoah! Jay's groovin'!!!!!!!!! grin.gif

PS - thank gawd I spoke right! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Hey Jay, that Ghost manor #17 is one of the toughest SOB's in the run! I have tried to upgrade my VF for 2 years and haven't even been able to downgrade it! The cover was reused with different coloring on Beyond the Grave #15.

Whenever I post Charlton covers i get a lot of surprised reactions, so I would guess that they really did go unnoticed by most collectors for a long time!

very cool Charltons! thumbsup2.gif I will definitely be collecting Charltons now, but reading copies only, to see if they appeal to me from a collector standpoint. I've got my hands full trying to complete a high grade HOM run anyway... (and you would have to be dead in a crypt not to know that insane.gif)

btw, Rip THANK YOU for suggesting to add HOM and HOS in the CGC Registry. Folks, please, please, please---go and request your favorite bronze horror titles in there TODAY so we can get proper representation in the registry!!!!!

Whenever I post Charlton covers i get a lot of surprised reactions, so I would guess that they really did go unnoticed by most collectors for a long time!

Check out this ultra cool art! Norinn Radd originally posted the Heritage link to, sold for 276 I believe good price!

582220-Charlton%20Ad.jpg

589a8c21d00a9_582220-CharltonAd.jpg.4b407db2a46461105769d0d2ed393aff.jpg