• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

Ditto... awesome Sterling..., what a killer W.H. run..

How many more W.H. slabs do you have waiting in the wings?

Those 9.0 copies you have look fantastic for White page 9.0 copies.

Thnx for sharing Sterling.. 893applaud-thumb.gif

and , welcome back Shiver.. hi.gif

This BA horror stuff is all so new to me , I just feel like a kid in a candy store. cloud9.gif

Just bought a reader copy of WH #1, read it last night for the first time.. and was blown away at how it was written, presented, from fonts used , to the story lines, everything about it was different then what I expected for a DC 1969 comic.

I had a blast reading it. headbang.gif

Look foward to reading the entire run..... arent you jealous of my newbiness to BA Horror?

I have yet to read all this stuff for the first time!!

What a treat... yay.gif

Ze-

Sterling, those are some pretty copies. That era is a biutch to find nice, congrats!

Jim - Great Charltons! Many of those I have not seen, too cool!

Jim? Do I look like Jim to you????? sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

My Charltons. Mine, mine, mine! All mine! 893naughty-thumb.gif

If you need any of the scans for your website, feel free to download and use them. If you need higher res scans, LMK. hi.gif

sorry.gif I am still running around like crazy, was writing too fast! Sorry!!!!

I will need charlton help, i have lots of missing spots. I'll throw you some free books for scans! As I get closer to finishing the charlton's I'll PM you.

Thanks for the Welcome Ze-Man, I am slightly jealous of all your newness with these!

Ze-man, thanks for your review of WH #1. I have it and now may have to read it. I'm not much of a reader normally but when I hear a good review like that it makes me want to read the book or story.

We are focusing mainly on covers and art and high grade copies here but I'd like to hear from anyone that has a few favorite BA horror stories. If you could maybe briefly write what the story was about and why you liked it then it would be great. This may help me and others dig out unread books to give them a shot. Thanks-----Sid devil.gif

Ze-man, I just re-sorted my Witching Hours...I have about 35 slabs 9.0 or better now--I sold 7 or so in the last auction. I had the entire series raw at one point--many were from that "snow white pages" collection. The books that didn't make the CGC cut were sold to shiverbones. I had a 9.4 WH #1 that I sold on ComicLink after it jumped to $1k. I recently sold a #1 9.0 White Pages (bought from showcase) and I have one #1 9.2 OWW (another from showcase) left. I also had two raw "VF" copies that I sold as well. Hard to imagine I've had 5 copies of that book just in the past 2 years!!!

BassGMan, I started a contest early in this thread (greggy won it foreheadslap.gif) testing knowledge and trivia. Maybe it's time to continue that....I definitely want this thread to be more than just a "cover" thread. I'm just too busy showing my wares from my latest submission foreheadslap.gif

I'm thinking about hosting a bronze horror contest to help get collectors familiar with the great artists and stories in the INSIDE of the book, as well as test general horror trivia.

Who would like to help brainstorm on type of questions/format of the contest. I'm considering putting up a prize or two gossip.gif

One problem with the Comicsquest trivia contest is the amount of fandom-generated information available to be Googled on the web. So, some ideas that wouldn't lend themselves to text string searches would be...

-post a page from a book, ask that the artist be id'ed.

-describe a plot, ask that the issue be id'ed.

Shiverbones has covered an admirable number of "firsts" on his page (i.e. "First post-Code rotting corpse!") but maybe he has a few ones he's not yet used?

One problem with the Comicsquest trivia contest is the amount of fandom-generated information available to be Googled on the web. So, some ideas that wouldn't lend themselves to text string searches would be...

-post a page from a book, ask that the artist be id'ed.

-describe a plot, ask that the issue be id'ed.

Shiverbones has covered an admirable number of "firsts" on his page (i.e. "First post-Code rotting corpse!") but maybe he has a few ones he's not yet used?

Sounds like a great idea! I also agree that many answers can be "Googled", not to mention all the "Horror genre masters" here on the boards that have the answers on the tip of there tongues. So as to add to the above suggestions:

How about scanning a pic of a prominent character from one of the stories in an issue (human or supernatural) and asking who he/she/it is and what issue and title?

You could score accordingly: 1 point for Character, 1 point for Title and 1 point for Issue for a total of 3 points for top score of a round.

This would make horror fans flip through their reader copies and also discover some great stories while looking for the answer.

hahaha! I always wondered if that "1st post code rotting corpse" was a bit much, but since they were so prevelant precode and so conspicuosly absent post, I thought it was worth a mention... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do have a few add ons for the "firsts", I just need the time to update the list. I am starting to settle back down now, so it won't be long...

Total guess, as I have no comics to look at.

Artwork looks like E.R. Cruz, but Bob Brown did the pencils for the dog story in this issue:

1979_4_013.jpg

"Nightmare in the Sand Box"

Total wrong I know!

Shiver, if you want to assist the contest, PM me. gossip.gif

hmmm... can anyone place these? DC has a history of showing dogs in harms way & these are extreme examples...

exhibita.jpg

exhibitb.jpg

This is what I was getting at in regards to a contest! These are the questions that even the "seasoned" expert might have to research! Great example.

I was thinking Ghosts too based on the art. Must flip through more readers... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif