• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

A special thank you to Pov & Sid for helping to dispel the myth that these are hard to find. A little patience & digging in the boxes is all it takes. Chronic overpayers like Greggy must be kicking themselves. foreheadslap.gif

I agree with this BOC, except the 100 pagers, those are tough in HG, I didnt see all of Sid's haul, but I didnt see a HG 100 pager BA horror book in Pov's possession, I know I didnt get one. Between the 3 of us, I'm pretty sure we scoured the show floor pretty thouroughly for BA horror. Unless Ewert nabbed em on Thursday, or they changed hands between dealers.

A special thank you to Pov & Sid for helping to dispel the myth that these are hard to find. A little patience & digging in the boxes is all it takes. Chronic overpayers like Greggy must be kicking themselves. foreheadslap.gif

I agree with this BOC, except the 100 pagers, those are tough in HG, I didnt see all of Sid's haul, but I didnt see a HG 100 pager BA horror book in Pov's possession, I know I didnt get one. Between the 3 of us, I'm pretty sure we scoured the show floor pretty thouroughly for BA horror. Unless Ewert nabbed em on Thursday, or they changed hands between dealers.

That's true, I don't think I saw any high grade horror 100-pagers above VF+ or so. The spines and edges on those books are so prone to damage by regular readers. Same thing with the dollar books, very likely to have dinged spine corners. Most of my haul consisted of regular 36 page issues along with some of the early 70s 52 pagers. I did buy one Unexpected 100-pager (can't remember the # off hand - black cover w/skeletons playing poker I think) but that one was probably just a VF, decent but no gem. I also discovered Star Spangled War Stories. I had never even heard of that series before, but it appeared to be in the same vein as Weird War, although I am guessing they are full length stories focusing on a main character. I'm not even sure, I didn't even look through them yet, just inspected for grade, but they are also from the same period and are pretty cool.

Actually, I have them all! poke2.gif

That's true, I don't think I saw any high grade horror 100-pagers above VF+ or so. The spines and edges on those books are so prone to damage by regular readers. Same thing with the dollar books, very likely to have dinged spine corners. Most of my haul consisted of regular 36 page issues along with some of the early 70s 52 pagers. I did buy one Unexpected 100-pager (can't remember the # off hand - black cover w/skeletons playing poker I think) but that one was probably just a VF, decent but no gem. I also discovered Star Spangled War Stories. I had never even heard of that series before, but it appeared to be in the same vein as Weird War, although I am guessing they are full length stories focusing on a main character. I'm not even sure, I didn't even look through them yet, just inspected for grade, but they are also from the same period and are pretty cool.

As jbud mentioned, Jason probably grabbed any decent 100-page books. It seems like his latest thing now.

Well they are tough to find above VF and worse they are notoriously over graded by dealers. Though I do have a question because I've never subbed one, is CGC a little more lenient on the 100 pagers, I've heard it said that they are on magazines and was wondering if this extended to other larger squarebounds????

I finally got a HG copy of HOM 284 for starters

Hey Rip were you at the dinner, I wasn't even aware you were at Wonder, too bad would have been nice to chat about horror books, I know that Pov Sid and I had some cool conversations.

Well they are tough to find above VF and worse they are notoriously over graded by dealers. Though I do have a question because I've never subbed one, is CGC a little more lenient on the 100 pagers, I've heard it said that they are on magazines and was wondering if this extended to other larger squarebounds????
It depends what you consider "lenient". CGC has always been lenient on production flaws and the nature of the 100 pagers is that the spine will almost never be "perfect". There will always seem to be some off-centering, small bindery tears, wavy spine, staple rubbing, poking through the cover...etc. CGC won't really knock it down for those types of wear. However, don't expect like some have learned that they will ignore creases, tears, or surface wear. Of the 4 9.8s that I currently own, I would imagine that only the Tarzan 235 CGC 9.8 would be universally accepted as being "worthy" of its grade regardless of one's personal preferences regarding QP...etc. It's in the CGC gallery so you can tell that it's a very nice copy.

Since I've probably submitted more of these books than any of the regular board members, I've gotten a good hang of what CGC looks for but I do get surprised at times. Luckily, it's to my benefit but I have taken my lumps such as the 7.0s and 8.0s that I got with my inital "larger" submission.

But...to be honest, other than one year when I got a bunch of nice horror 100 pagers from Terry's comics at SD, I haven't had much luck finding them at most conventions. frown.gif

Ya I believe it was Terry that had a few in the VF range at WonderCon as well. Thanks for the information, I guess the search continues.
You only looking for raw horror 100 pagers?

Although I like the 100-pagers, it is just because they are big fat books. It's cool to see how much is jam packed into those things, along with bonuses and etc. But they are not the best looking books. Being split up into different segments takes away from the main image, and the smaller images are usually pretty stupid looking. I definitely prefer the regular 36 and 52 pagers due to the basic look of the book and cover art. But the 100-pagers are still cool for just being so full of pages. Certainly not on my priority list of books from this genre to have, although I will still buy nice copies when I see them for a good price.

Here's the one horror 100-pager that I bought. Probably a 7.5 purchased for $19 from Redbeard.

730380-Unex.jpg

730380-Unex.jpg.8104a409652e3ee8a7dc0049d49f1450.jpg

A few recent upgrades thanks to Silver and Blazingbob, sort of outside of the horror genre but close enough with cool Adams covers. And more importantly, they haven't been shown on this thread 3-7 times already...which is a bonus! thumbsup2.gif

ps5.jpg