• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,928 posts in this topic

Curious? Of the symptom of a greater conspiracy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Where's Jack Palance when you need him?!!!

Nah...just curious that it was OK in the earlier comic but removed from the later reprint...

Jim

Curious? Of the symptom of a greater conspiracy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Where's Jack Palance when you need him?!!!

Nah...just curious that it was OK in the earlier comic but removed from the later reprint...

Jim

Man you take the speculative fun out of things! grin.gifhi.gif

Man you take the speculative fun out of things! grin.gifhi.gif

Well in that case...what neo-conservative housecleaning occurred at Charlton Central for them to purposely censor their own comics? Blood and gore was perfectly acceptable for the under-15 crowd in the 70s but come the 80s it's taboo? I now know where Charlton got the bright idea to release an 80s comic titled "Soap Opera Romances"... 893whatthe.gif

Enough conspiracy for ya... smirk.gif

Jim

Ah, but there still is some blood in his mouth...

740629-gm76.jpg

I don't think this is a case of self-censorship, but rather just a (hastily made) artistic choice. It seems that all of the many covers that Charlton reused were recolored, generally with little regard for the original color scheme. The reprints are usually brighter and more garish; the originals seem subdued and sometimes a bit murky by comparison.

On this reprint I miss the eerie green glow around the hanging lantern, but I don't miss the blood spots so much. Still, I'm leaning toward the original here, where in some cases I actually prefer the more garish reprinted covers.

740629-gm76.jpg.44d3ece33cc385dd9f13577c958045d4.jpg

On this reprint I miss the eerie green glow around the hanging lantern, but I don't miss the blood spots so much. Still, I'm leaning toward the original here, where in some cases I actually prefer the more garish reprinted covers.

No freakin contest!

OK, there's blood in his mouth, but the vampire must've just come back from the dry cleaners, and oh, his teeth just looked like he brushed with teeth whitener.

foreheadslap.gif

Well in that case...what neo-conservative housecleaning occurred at Charlton Central for them to purposely censor their own comics? Blood and gore was perfectly acceptable for the under-15 crowd in the 70s but come the 80s it's taboo? I now know where Charlton got the bright idea to release an 80s comic titled "Soap Opera Romances"... 893whatthe.gif

Jim

I don't know if it was neo-conservative censorship or not. My theory is that they were just..... LAZY, and by manipulating the color just enough to change a few details the slothy SoB's felt justified in releasing a "new" cover.

Here's something interesting to try though: take a copy of both books, close the door in your bathroom (now, now, don't go there pervs... 893naughty-thumb.gif), turn off the lights, stand in front of your mirror and say "Tom Sutton" repeatedly ( three times should do the trick) until something appears in the mirror.....

Jim

I don't know if it was neo-conservative censorship or not. My theory is that they were just..... LAZY, and by manipulating the color just enough to change a few details the slothy SoB's felt justified in releasing a "new" cover.

Here's something interesting to try though: take a copy of both books, close the door in your bathroom (now, now, don't go there pervs... 893naughty-thumb.gif), turn off the lights, stand in front of your mirror and say "Tom Sutton" repeatedly ( three times should do the trick) until something appears in the mirror.....

Keith,

Don't try it!!!

I did this last night and when I flicked on the light I had two tiny puncture wounds on my neck and felt weak.

The books were gone and I found a note that read:

"Thanks for the sweet, sweet Charlton's!"

Regards,

POV 27_laughing.gif