• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

foreheadslap.gif thanks Keith I forgot about those Marvel's

Who can blame you!?!? 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, I forget all about 'em too until I looked at the poll. wink.gif

I'd have to say MY personal BA horror Snapple would be UNEXPECTED. insane.gif

Funny thing is, before I got into this whole genre about a year and a half ago, I always looked at this DC area as if The Unexpected was the key series. I guess it is just because I'd happened upon issues of that series more than the others. But above that, to me personally 70s horror was always TOD and WBN, so I will assume that for Marvel at least, there's your Coke & Pepsi. But let me ask you this, which series sold more issues at time of publication, WBN & TOD or HOM & HOS? Whichever pair sold more, I'll give the title to the Coke and Pepsi of the overall BA horror genre. And now in 2005, which is the CURRENT C&P of the bronze age? For us Forumites, of course it is the DCs. But including all of comicdom, which are the top two? And for that matter, which was the "Snapple" series for Marvel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess Marvel's "Snapple" series would be Monster of Frankenstein.

I always thought ToD was the most popular BA horror series in terms of sales, but I could be dead wrong. I am sure someone can straighten that out.

And for that matter, which was the "Snapple" series for Marvel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd go with Man-Thing! Gerber did a great job on many of those stories and was a favorite of mine, just like diet peach Snapple! thumbsup2.gif

I guess Marvel's "Snapple" series would be Monster of Frankenstein.

I always thought ToD was the most popular BA horror series in terms of sales, but I could be dead wrong. I am sure someone can straighten that out.

I have always though it was also. Due mainly to it having things like this "ribbon" on many covers:

88722352224.39.GIF

Or it could have just been hype. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well I'm sure there was a little hype to it, but there are some stats to support that. It ran for 70 issues - thats longer than WWBN or any other horror series Marvel put out aside from maybe Ghost Rider and hes went a little more superhero IMO.

As well I think its the best Marvel in terms of quality. Colan and Wolfman stayed on this thing for the entire run, more or less and it seems to me they really put all their effort into this book.

There also seem to be a lot of HG copies of TOD floating around which would support a higher print run possibility.

Well I'm sure there was a little hype to it, but there are some stats to support that. It ran for 70 issues - thats longer than WWBN or any other horror series Marvel put out aside from maybe Ghost Rider and hes went a little more superhero IMO.

As well I think its the best Marvel in terms of quality. Colan and Wolfman stayed on this thing for the entire run, more or less and it seems to me they really put all their effort into this book.

There also seem to be a lot of HG copies of TOD floating around which would support a higher print run possibility.

So who's gonna bust out their copy of that book (Standard Catalogue?) and drop some "publication number data" knowledge on us about TOD and HOM?

Another upgrade: My previous copy had that horrible miscut on the right hand side-- this is one of the nicest QP copies I've seen of this book:

hom267.jpg

Now for books I've never previously owned: I credit this thread for introducing me to the cover art of Luis Dominguez. I had noted the trademark "LD" signature on books previously (the snake cover of Phantom Stranger #25 comes to mind), but never really knew who it was until learning about him on here. Thanks Sterling & Shiver!

hom242.jpg

Here's a Dominguez cover I was happy to pick up-- I seem to recall at least the foreground image of the guy and the grasping hand from DC house ads back in the 1970s. (I think the ad may have clipped the kids in the background out). My memory of the cover image is the guy had a monster hand that seemed to be taking him over-- but now in the context of the complete cover, it is clear he is strangling someone as the kids look on, and the hand is the hand of his victim.

hos121.jpg

Here is a frequently-posted image, but I've come to really appreciate Nick Cardy's run of 52-page Unexpected covers. Great Morticia Adams homage!

unx134.jpg

Joe Orlando returned to drawing covers in the late 1970s, but unfortunately most of these were less than inspired from this former EC Comics great. I think by the 1970s Orlando was much more valuable as an editor than as an illustrator. But this is one of my favorite late-period Orlandos. It also harkens back to the genre diversity that you could find in the late-1960s House of Mystery-- that occasional Gil Kane or Wally Wood sword & sorcery story mixed in to the anthology.

hom272.jpg

Here's a Dominguez cover I was happy to pick up-- I seem to recall at least the foreground image of the guy and the grasping hand from DC house ads back in the 1970s. (I think the ad may have clipped the kids in the background out). My memory of the cover image is the guy had a monster hand that seemed to be taking him over-- but now in the context of the complete cover, it is clear he is strangling someone as the kids look on, and the hand is the hand of his victim.

hos121.jpg

Real funny you say that because I also thought for years that this guy had a "monster" hand (which would have made a better cover IMHO) probably because the coloring is the same as the face.

Nice books Zonker! thumbsup2.gif

Thought I post some nice Karloff issues that arrived today. This will probably be the last new shipment of back issues, and being able to contribute scans, for quite awhile...

Boris Karloff #24

bk24.jpg

Jim

Thought I post some nice Karloff issues that arrived today. This will probably be the last new shipment of back issues, and being able to contribute scans, for quite awhile...

Boris Karloff #24

bk24.jpg

Jim

That cover rocks! 893applaud-thumb.gif Never seen that one before. Looks like a sweet copy too.