• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,920 posts in this topic

There are a number of collectors of the DC horror line who are collecting these to read the stories...

Well, this market segment are going after VFish or worse condition, and the prices have always been reasonable. The crazy ubber graded books won't get affected because they are slabbed and the buyer is buying it for collectible and not reading reasons. I see this just as an opportunity to get even more potential collectors into the market.

A say a wash or little difference in overall prices.

I disagree...the appeal of DC horror is their unavailability and the mystique of the comics not being reprinted. That's now changing. Now readers will see that the majority of stories are cr@p and won't want to pursue them regardless of grade. This will have a significant effect on horror slabs...there aren't alot of collectors to begin with and we are lucky that those that are are willing to spend are willing to spend considerable sums to get them...

I'd be selling quickly...

Jim

I disagree...I pretty much collect these for the Adams, Kaluta, and Wrightson covers and would have no interest in buying reprints. Crazy prices are not being paid for reader copies, which are readily available under $10 for 95% of the DC horror books in VF and lower. Sterling & Company aren't paying $300/500/700 for these books to read 'em! screwy.gif

I doubt the existence of reprints of these books will affect the high-grade slabbed prices at all, and the reader prices are already so low I doubt there's any effect there either. Increased census numbers will certainly affect prices, but reprints won't. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I disagree...I pretty much collect these for the Adams, Kaluta, and Wrightson covers and would have no interest in buying reprints. Crazy prices are not being paid for reader copies, which are readily available under $10 for 95% of the DC horror books in VF and lower. Sterling & Company aren't paying $300/500/700 for these books to read 'em! screwy.gif

I doubt the existence of reprints of these books will affect the high-grade slabbed prices at all, and the reader prices are already so low I doubt there's any effect there either. Increased census numbers will certainly affect prices, but reprints won't. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Exactly. Except for the screwy.gif comment. shy.gif

I do think you guys will be surprised about my lack of involvement in purchasing this upcoming year. (ok, I said it. Now I need to do it).

The perception of great horror stories, which has been mentioned in this thread multiple times, and especially in regards to comparisons to Marvel, will. The allure will be shattered once the reprints are made available...and as a result, the desirability of these issues will decrease...

Jim

Exactly. Except for the screwy.gif comment. shy.gif

I do think you guys will be surprised about my lack of involvement in purchasing this upcoming year. (ok, I said it. Now I need to do it).

I meant you would be screwy.gif to crack open a sweet, sweet DC for reading when you could easily pick one up out of Earl Shaw's $2 boxes at any of the Charlotte shows. thumbsup2.gif

I disagree...the appeal of DC horror is their unavailability and the mystique of the comics not being reprinted. That's now changing. Now readers will see that the majority of stories are cr@p and won't want to pursue them regardless of grade. This will have a significant effect on horror slabs...there aren't alot of collectors to begin with and we are lucky that those that are are willing to spend are willing to spend considerable sums to get them...

I'd be selling quickly...

Jim

It can easily be seen around here who sees things as the glass being half full, and those who see the glass as half empty. Not that either is more right or more wrong or more realistic, but patterns can be easily seen among us. I'm a glass is half full guy, keeps me a happy dude. When on occasion the glass does turn up half empty, well.... time to find another glass that is half full somewhere else. crazy.gif

So you don't disagree?

I dont want to risk sounding like Sid, but I see both sides. I see the potential positive and negative from this, but I'm leaning towards Mike's explanation. Just write me off because I have too much invested in all of this to acknowledge potential truth. I just want to stay a happy, oblivious collector. cool.gif

It can easily be seen around here who sees things as the glass being half full, and those who see the glass as half empty. Not that either is more right or more wrong or more realistic, but patterns can be easily seen among us. I'm a glass is half full guy, keeps me a happy dude. When on occasion the glass does turn up half empty, well.... time to find another glass that is half full somewhere else. crazy.gif

Sid...you're one strange dude...insane.gif

Jim

So you don't disagree?

I dont want to risk sounding like Sid, but I see both sides. I see the potential positive and negative from this, but I'm leaning towards Mike's explanation. Just write me off because I have too much invested in all of this to acknowledge potential truth. I just want to stay a happy, oblivious collector. cool.gif

Well...in my view, this is the worst thing that could have happened to DC horror, and it's going to fall more in line to Marvel original horror as a result. There may be spikes with Wrightson/Adams covers but the days of absurd multiples will be history...

Jim

Jim

I think we are all strange to a certain degree...I'd prefer to say unique, or ecclectic. You are all my buds! flowerred.gif

Yes, we are quite the bunch. All nuts fallen from different trees, or sumthin'......

Jim

I think we are all strange to a certain degree...I'd prefer to say unique, or ecclectic. You are all my buds! flowerred.gif

Yes, we are quite the bunch. All nuts fallen from different trees, or sumthin'......

NUCKING FUTS. stooges.gif

Well...in my view, this is the worst thing that could have happened to DC horror, and it's going to fall more in line to Marvel original horror as a result. There may be spikes with Wrightson/Adams covers but the days of absurd multiples will be history...

Jim

Duely noted. I do agree that making material readily available will have an impact. Time will tell. I'd like to complete my colection on the cheap anyways... I didn't buy these books to sell at profits, so it's all sunk money anyway.

Jim

Duely noted. I do agree that making material readily available will have an impact. Time will tell. I'd like to complete my colection on the cheap anyways... I didn't buy these books to sell at profits, so it's all sunk money anyway.

Well, we are typical comic collectors, right? Maybe more informed because of this forum, but more or less typical. So let's ask ourselves, if we were collecting a series, for whatever reason (just to read, to collect every issue, only HGs, only slabs, cool covers, etc.) and then a black and white TPB reprint comes out for those books for the first time, would it affect your desire at all to continue purchasing that same run or series? For me, no possible way. It would not affect anything. I may very well buy the TPB for the fun of it, but it would not in the slightest affect my desire to buy the originals. If anything, the only thing it will affect is the buying habits of those buying low grade reading copies, but possibly not even that due to the B&W. If anything, the exposure of the new TPB will create new fans who until then had not been exposed to this material. tongue.gif

Jim

Well, we are typical comic collectors, right? Maybe more informed because of this forum, but more or less typical. So let's ask ourselves, if we were collecting a series, for whatever reason (just to read, to collect every issue, only HGs, only slabs, cool covers, etc.) and then a black and white TPB reprint comes out for those books for the first time, would it affect your desire at all to continue purchasing that same run or series? For me, no possible way. It would not affect anything. I may very well buy the TPB for the fun of it, but it would not in the slightest affect my desire to buy the originals. If anything, the only thing it will affect is the buying habits of those buying low grade reading copies, but possibly not even that due to the B&W. If anything, the exposure of the new TPB will create new fans who until then had not been exposed to this material. tongue.gif

When I was putting together full runs of Spidey, Hulk, FF, and X-men, the thought of buying reprints never even crossed my mind, even when I couldn't afford the originals. confused-smiley-013.gif