• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,946 posts in this topic

weird war #62 - still IMHO, one of the BEST horror cover of all time! Great copy... :cloud9:

And a great story to go with that cover too!

That 79 has a great EC feel also...sweet books Sterling!

While wasting time on the porcelain throne, I've been reading Alter Ego #56 (Feb 2006). In it, Neal Adams gives an interview praising colorist Jack Adler and also offering great information on his and Jack's rational behind creating DC horror covers.

Neal explains his thoughts behind using kids on the cover as well as designing the colors in such a way as to create movement. Good stuff and well worth the read.

There's a reason Neal's DC horror covers are miles above similar Marvel horror and even other DC artists...he and Jack put alot of care and effort into setting the scene and mood of those covers... (thumbs u

Jim

I always liked hos 81 as opposed to hom 174(reprints) and 175(1st cain), since it actually had some backstory on cain and abel in an entire short story.

73o6ff7.jpg

Does anyone feel like the reprints cheapens the value and scarcity of their collections?

It seems to me that once you read the black and whites, you lose the urge to see what's under the cover.

Yes and No. The collectibility of having the issue (in my eyes) will still be there...especially in hg as I usually don't read my hg books. Like most collectors, I see these as a convenient way to read en masse a title/series, which is a different process than collecting a title. I'm sure others see it differently..and that's fine too.

Speaking of house of secrets... Here's one of my favorite covers.

I've always felt that Jack Sparling had some of the greatest bronze horror covers, especially the painted ones. I would put his cover artwork up there with dominguez and cardy's best (painted covers on par with wrightson and adams). Yet, I felt that his interior artwork was much lower in caliber and reminded me of typical average 60s dc artwork.

Are there other artists that had such a disparity between cover art work and interior? Or am I the only one that feels this way about sparling's work?

6sk50mu.jpg

Yes, there are plenty of covers that don't live up to the interior. Then again, the interior doesn't mean as much with the CGC slab around it. :doh:

In regards to horror cross overs, I think I found two more to add to the list...although these are technically silver age.

48396-supermanspaljimmyolsen_081_cgc_9_4_white_0145028019_a.jpg.159ad2b97a22ef96afe817e6e3e1434f.jpg

48398-supermanspaljimmyolsen_44_cgc_8_5_ow_0145028011_a.jpg.a6eb695b831bfc5a34b4355b918b65ac.jpg

Nice covers. I also noticed a lois lane 103 on the double covers thread that seems like a good candidate hm

Anyways, regarding Sparling. I wasn't just referring to that specific issue and interior, I was just referring to sparling's work in general. Covers = outstanding. Interior drawing = not so outstanding.

Just my 2c.

Kaluta begins in this one as does Spawn of Frankenstein.

img355.jpg

We all know what's going on here.

img357.jpg

This one reminds me of that Wrightson Swamp Thing cover (with Batman swinging in the background). Kaluta was probably peeking over his should in the Studio offices.

img358.jpg