• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO WINS??

120 posts in this topic

I saw the initial sales thread which started this question and, technically, Spider-Dan could have made an argument that he should have gotten the book. But I am inclined to give the other forum member the benefit of the doubt in this case because when he clarified which book he wanted it was posted at the exact same time Spider-Dan posted his "take it".

Spider-Dan would have every right to cause trouble if he wanted to, I don't think he is doing that. He is being fair in how he has handled the situation.

As for the other issue, I can appreciate lizards2 sentiment but am not sure what internet connection speed has to do with it.

In my opinion it comes down to collectors who often have other jobs and collect as a hobby versus dealers who are able to spend an inordinate amount of time on here and are able to see and act upon good deals before most collectors have a chance.

I, too, hate the buy, crack, resub, resell game.

But I am not sure I understand what you mean by restraint? Are you suggesting BSD should be limited in the number of books they can buy in a thread or that they should not be allowed to buy a book until the sales thread has been up for a certain length of time??

I say let the free market reign but have moral and ethical standards which guides its conduct.

I'm saying show some restraint and let the collectors have a crack at it.

No rule will solve this - it would have to be self-policing.

Is this thread really even needed for a $20 ASM? I mean it just seems so petty...
This is General...., :baiting:

Is this thread really even needed for a $20 ASM? I mean it just seems so petty...

Very nice looking $20 ASM :applause:

As long as we are voting here, I saw this go down while it was happening.

My initial reaction was Spider-Dan should win the book. While it may seem

petty the same thing may happen on a big book and it's good to talk it out.

My feeling is by doing the 'fair' thing and ignoring the rules we are asking for trouble. This incident may set precedent for the rules to simply be ignored in the future. I don't like it. Sorry.

i can understand why dan posted this here. i was watching the thread as the books were being listed. it was almost like a little battle between shootin and dan.

that said shootin posted first. anyone can blow it up and make a big deal if they want but shootin posted first. he is new he made a mistake its not a big deal.

spiderman books in that grade at that price are all over the place. one probably just ended on ebay as i am typing this message.

but again i understand. dan got caught up in the little :takeit: war and he lost and he is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

My feeling is by doing the 'fair' thing and ignoring the rules we are asking for trouble. This incident may set precedent for the rules to simply be ignored in the future. I don't like it. Sorry.

Well put :applause:

Does it only make it petty because of the value of the book??

You know - a more cogent question is who wins between the BSDs and the collectors around here? When I see the cheap threads where the BSDs swoop in and pick up a ton of books to resell..., press and resell..., encapsulate and resell..., press, encapsulate and resell....., to the very people who are trying to put together a collection....., well, I cringe.

I like this part of your post, with all the internet access stuff taken out.

I'm not saying dealers and dealing-collectors shouldn't flip books or buy from the marketplace, nor am I saying that they owe anyone any restraint or opportunity, but it would be nice to see more collector to collector dealing. It would also be nice to wrestle naked with the UFC ring girls for 5 5 minute rounds, but I digress. Squeezing every last dollar out of every book, both literally and figuratively, is what keeps this hobby going at the moment, so I don't expect any different. If the majority of "collectors" actually kept the books they bought, there would be a lot less buying, and some people would have to find another line of work.

I wish my sales threads could get this much action :banana:

Me too :sorry:

I stated it may 'seem' petty but I do not think it is petty at all. It's not about the value of the book, it's about enforcing the rules. The intent or experience of the bidder should not be relevant. We complain about the bidding quirks in online vs live auction. My bid was higher why didn't I win, my bid was first, why didn't I win, etc. We don't like it when we think we won a book but the auction house says no. The Boards have clear rules and per the rules Dan wins.

I stated it may 'seem' petty but I do not think it is petty at all. It's not about the value of the book, it's about enforcing the rules. The intent or experience of the bidder should not be relevant. We complain about the bidding quirks in online vs live auction. My bid was higher why didn't I win, my bid was first, why didn't I win, etc. We don't like it when we think we won a book but the auction house says no. The Boards have clear rules and per the rules Dan wins.

:applause:

The Boards have clear rules

I would love to see the board lawyers wade in on this one :lol:

I don't see them being clear cut at all.

The only place I've seen your 'theory' attempted to be enforced was in the foolkiller blood baths.

It is up to the seller to state his specific rules of engagement if he wants, or to make decisions as things occur. We do the same merry-go-round on PMs vs. posts.

The Boards have clear rules

I would love to see the board lawyers wade in on this one :lol:

I don't see them being clear cut at all.

The only place I've seen your 'theory' attempted to be enforced was in the foolkiller blood baths.

It is up to the seller to state his specific rules of engagement if he wants, or to make decisions as things occur. We do the same merry-go-round on PMs vs. posts.

Your right - The seller does have the right to specify his rules, provided they are clearly stated in his 1st post BEFORE the selling begins

Can a seller demand PP personal AFTER the sale if not specified in the thread?

Much like all arguments in General no one actually listens to anyone else.

1. The rule states to post a :takeit: specifying which book you are taking.

2. The :takeit: was posted in a post that was created after the member clicked on the specific book he was taking, as evidenced and explained by Lizards2.

3. There is no further reason to make opposing arguments as the argument is over. The book was specified by the rightfully winning member.

4. As said before if you feel quoting the post that has the book listed in not specific enough and the :takeit: must have the book name or number next to it, then have the rule changed.

Not picking on any one member, Bob's post happened to be the latest one.

There isn't any real doubt about what he is taking. It goes to the posting of #45 and he clarified as soon as asked.

Using the letter of the rules to shaft a fellow boardie seems inappropriate, to put it nicely.

The book was sold to the other boardie, which is fine. I just wanted to know what other boardies thought.

Rules are in place for situations like this. Thats not "shafting" anyone

Rules are meant to be bent...especially on a comic book forum... :preach:

Without rules this world would be chaos :pullhair:

I prey for chaos everyday. :luhv:

Beats how we are living right now.