• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt Rock

11 posts in this topic

was hoping to pick up some trade or hc on this character of some done by Joe Kubert does anyone have any suggestions ?.. I literally know nothing about the character so wouldn't even know where to start reading (shrug)

There are 3 volumes of the Showcase type if you want a taste of the Silver Age. I read the first one, but the stories kinda got repetitive or rehashed. There should be a modern trade of Billy Tucci's The Lost Battalion that was really good. Kubert has done a couple of modern mini-series that should be in trade as well. Hope that helps.

was hoping to pick up some trade or hc on this character of some done by Joe Kubert does anyone have any suggestions ?.. I literally know nothing about the character so wouldn't even know where to start reading (shrug)

If you asked this question in the silver age thread under the "war comics" link you'd get lots of good suggestions! (thumbs u

I really enjoyed "Between Hell and a Hard Place". I read it in HC format, I'm not sure if it was printed in SC.

I liked this too, written by Brian Azzarello. Prefered it to the mini series a couple years back that was written by Kubert as well.

Your best bet are the Sgt. Rock Showcase collected sets, or the Sgt. Rock Archives... expensive, but worth the trouble.

For something that will require a little more digging, but potentially more rewarding...

Try some of the DC Blue Ribbon Digests that DC printed in the late 1970s/early 1980s. There are 4 Sgt. Rock and one Haunted Tank, and they are pretty sweet little packages. You'll get a classic Sgt. Rock tale plus a good selection of some of the best of DC war from throughout the years. And I'm pretty sure you can get any of them in midgrade for $5.

Good luck and enjoy!

Shep

]I really enjoyed "Between Hell and a Hard Place"[/b]. I read it in HC format, I'm not sure if it was printed in SC.
+1

I bought it in SC, which I prefer for this type of 'premium' DC graphic novel material - always seems right, like a thicker prestige format comic one-shot. The HCs always feel quite thin and very overpriced to me.

Maybe the third Archive--by that point they have a good handle on the character.

The Sgt. Rock volumes and SA Hawkman Vol 1 are some of my favourite archive books.

Kubert's art looks amazing in this format.

I've enjoyed the Sgt. Rock stories from the beginning, but Marc's right, it does get better further into the run. (thumbs u