• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aaaarghh..Don't you hate when they do this..

22 posts in this topic

If you take care when opening the book to scan an interior page...absolutely no damage occurs. All it takes is a bit of patience to open and close the book to prevent damage.

I actually wish MORE people were willing to try and show an interior page scan on ebay, sometimes a cover's condition is eh, but the interior is nice enough that someone may end up bidding because they see they are getting a fantastic reading copy...after all, not everyone has $25.00+ to blow on CGC--grading every book they purchase off of ebay.

In fact, if you are a decent grader, than you should have no problem carefully opening a book and scanning an interior page (one trick is not to completly flatten the page, if you have a decent scanner...1200dpi or better, there is no need to create new spine damage by trying for a flat page scan...the scanner will do a good job of picking up the page, even if it is an inch or two from the scanner at it's highest point). I should also add that you should never close the scanner lid when using a flat bed scanner to attempt an interior page scan, and you should also have something on the side of the scanner to prop up the open part of the comic that is hanging on the side of the scanner...then everything truly should be fine.

I had someone who posts on this forum win a fine copy of Marvel Spotlight 5 from my ebay auctions (this was a couple months ago at least), and that had an interior page scan. I know I did not add to the damage to the book. Like I said, a little extra care when scanning in pages for pictures on ebay is all it takes.

Take Care

Christopher H.

I realize that is is possible to open a book ,scan it, and not damage it .However in the example I provided it seems to me that the front cover was opened far to much as to provide a level of doubt as to whether the spine was damaged due to this practice...

I do not believe that this is the proper way to open a comic book... tongue.gif

Do you guys really think this book was scanned on a flatbed scanner??

To me, it looks like the book is propped up on a table of some kind with some kind of white backboard in the background and they just took a picture with a camera.

For crimineys sake......you can even see the guy holding it open in the top left corner so I really don't see what you guys are talking about.

It also doesn't look to me like he has the book opened up to a flat position. It seems that the cover is opened in a gentle manner allowing it to curve naturally so as not to damage the spine.

Am I the only one seeing it this way? confused.gif

Do you guys really think this book was scanned on a flatbed scanner??

No, I don't.

To me, it looks like the book is propped up on a table of some kind with some kind of white backboard in the background and they just took a picture with a camera.

Yes, it is.

For crimineys sake......you can even see the guy holding it open in the top left corner so I really don't see what you guys are talking about.

Brilliant deduction.

It also doesn't look to me like he has the book opened up to a flat position. It seems that the cover is opened in a gentle manner allowing it to curve naturally so as not to damage the spine.

The book may not be opened flat but it is opened far too much for my taste, which is my original point.

Am I the only one seeing it this way?

Take a poll.

The book may not be opened flat but it is opened far too much for my taste, which is my original point.

Yeah.....it's opened pretty far but I was really responding to the people that thought this was laid out flat on a scanner. I think the guy is pushing my limits of how far a book should be opened but I don't think he's causing any damage yet.

Opinions will vary widely on that as some people think walking within 10 feet of a book causes too much stress.

Take a poll.

I've got your pole right here. smirk.gif

Opinions will vary widely on that as some people think walking within 10 feet of a book causes too much stress.

Personally, I get into my envirohazard (space) suit and make sure I got my latex gloves on. Then I talk the comic down, letting it know I'm going to touch it. Sometimes I have to back away if I see it's getting nervous. A little more of this coaxing and inevitably I'll get in there, if you know what I mean wink.gif and oh how sweet it is! tongue.gif