• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tornado in my neighborhood!!

28 posts in this topic

Sometimes us Okies have a rather Cavalier attitude when it comes to tornadoes...we see them almost daily in spring and early summer. 11 in one night last week including a monster with 200mph winds. Even a seasoned Okie would cry like a baby if they were caught on that bridge. Can't think of a worse place to be.

I don't know how you get used to it...we were scared carpless!

Do you all generally have storm cellars or just run to the basement when one attacks?

Some have storm cellars or shelters. Generally you find a small interior room with no windows...bathroom, closet, or hallway. Basements are very uncommon due to the dense red clay dirt. Caught in the open get out of the car and get face down in a ditch or low area. Roofing shingles and two by fours moving at more than 150 mph will hurt.

But...

Should one roll right on top of you all bets are off. Pray.

Thats a nice looking Jeep too! Is that fish netting thats draped across it?

That's not fish netting, that's a chain link fence! Form fitted all the way around it - it's the fence that was around helo pad at the hospital.

Some have storm cellars or shelters. Generally you find a small interior room with no windows...bathroom, closet, or hallway. Basements are very uncommon due to the dense red clay dirt. Caught in the open get out of the car and get face down in a ditch or low area. Roofing shingles and two by fours moving at more than 150 mph will hurt.

But...

It goes without saying that were I in such an area, I'd be terrified for my family, loved ones & pets safety. But, on a much lesser, but still significant level I'd be afraid of losing all my possessions as well. With having my comics & collectibles blown away never to be seen again rather high up on my list of fears.

So, how do you handle it?

Do you have a special "safe spot" for your comics or just hope for the best?

But...

It goes without saying that were I in such an area, I'd be terrified for my family, loved ones & pets safety. But, on a much lesser, but still significant level I'd be afraid of losing all my possessions as well. With having my comics & collectibles blown away never to be seen again rather high up on my list of fears.

So, how do you handle it?

Do you have a special "safe spot" for your comics or just hope for the best?

Well...I guess you just play the odds. The majority of tornadoes never touch a populated area. Some farmers barn might get blown away but usually they stick to the rural areas. I just don't worry about it...have enough on my plate to be concerned about what might happen if a tornado hits. Just like hurricanes, earthquakes and floods....Cant stop nature. The wind goes where it wants.